Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

That Ajax stuff is very old (like 4-5 years) and was purely conceptual even back when those renderings made their debut. The plans for that old Pizzuti site have changed more than my underwear so I know it's tough to figure out what the proposal of the week is sometimes.

That Ajax stuff is very old (like 4-5 years) and was purely conceptual even back when those renderings made their debut. The plans for that old Pizzuti site have changed more than my underwear so I know it's tough to figure out what the proposal of the week is sometimes.

I believe this is the latest plan: http://downtownorlando.com/sites/default/files/400%20N%20Orange.pdf

Of course, the DDB hasn't updated those documents since like April or May, so who knows.

Ditto ...

I think when Barios Baker were first depicting the UCF Med school campus they regurgitated this concept. By the way, Ajax is a professional football (soccer) club in Amsterdam. They were going to start a US soccer school and development league here. I have no idea what Ajax decided to do.

Here's another one, I was driving down Mills Avenue today from Winter Park and noticed an empty lot with a sign posted for a new development in that area. Supposedly it's for a mixed-use project called Mill's Park, www.millsparkorlando.com, anybody know anything about it?

This has its own thread deep in the bowels of the archives. I haven't seen any activity on this in a while. Maybe they should put a lumber yard there. <_<

This has its own thread deep in the bowels of the archives. I haven't seen any activity on this in a while. Maybe they should put a lumber yard there. <_<

It's crazy to me, well not really, but anyway, how so many proposed projects ended up in the development graveyard. I wonder how things would have turned out if the market didn't take it's dip, but then again, if it wasn't for the real estate bubble some these projects may not have even come to the fore.

It's crazy to me, well not really, but anyway, how so many proposed projects ended up in the development graveyard. I wonder how things would have turned out if the market didn't take it's dip, but then again, if it wasn't for the real estate bubble some these projects may not have even come to the fore.

I just noticed a Mac service center / store opening up in a building just south of Princeton / Orange Avenue on the west side of the street. I didn't notice a name on the door or on the glass, but the building has been sitting empty since it was built like at least a year or two ago. Does anyone else know anything about it?

The October MPB Agenda is out but there's nothing of much interest on it, unfortunately. There's a proposal to place a helipad on the roof of the Amway Center's Geico garage and a mention of a Mission Road/Pine Hills Road extension that will be named the Barack Obama Parkway.

The October MPB Agenda is out but there's nothing of much interest on it, unfortunately. There's a proposal to place a helipad on the roof of the Amway Center's Geico garage and a mention of a Mission Road/Pine Hills Road extension that will be named the Barack Obama Parkway.

...and you weren't interested in this?

Downtown Signage Districts

...and you weren't interested in this?

Downtown Signage Districts

Thanks for noting that - as a neon freak, I'm THRILLED that our neon can be animated again. Here's hoping Dr. Phillips, Inc. will reanimate the Western Way sign so that the cowboy lassoes the text again! And, SAVE the McNamara Pontiac sign before it's too late!

Good to hear that they are not interested in limiting the size of signs and style. We wouldn't want that type of uniformity, which just leads to blandness.

Actually, there has been a restriction on signs since the era of Mayor Bill (it's interesting how much more interested in aesthetics he was than Buddy is but that's a thread for another day I'd like to consider.) A funny story about that concerns 20 N Orange, currently the Wachovia Building. At the time, it was First Union and, as the rules were being promulgated, originally only relatively small logos were going to be allowed atop high-rises. Apparently one of the First Union bankers chafed at the limits and threatened to just put the initials, "F U", atop the building. A compromise was accepted which allowed them to put the bank name on two of the four sides (it's why you'll see no name on the building if you look at it from Lake Eola).

Actually, there has been a restriction on signs since the era of Mayor Bill (it's interesting how much more interested in aesthetics he was than Buddy is but that's a thread for another day I'd like to consider.) A funny story about that concerns 20 N Orange, currently the Wachovia Building. At the time, it was First Union and, as the rules were being promulgated, originally only relatively small logos were going to be allowed atop high-rises. Apparently one of the First Union bankers chafed at the limits and threatened to just put the initials, "F U", atop the building. A compromise was accepted which allowed them to put the bank name on two of the four sides (it's why you'll see no name on the building if you look at it from Lake Eola).

What's the philosophy (reasoning) behind it?

What's the philosophy (reasoning) behind it?

There was a feeling, much more prevalent in the 70's as a reaction to some of the garishness of some of the 1950's and '60's excesses (and you may recall the 70's were the heyday of earth tones), that signs atop a high-rise were garish. Starting with Orlando's first modern high-rise in 1959, the First National Bank tower, all the tall buildings downtown had signs. On the other hand, I know that Nashville, Birmingham and Atlanta, three cities I'm familiar with, built most towers at that time without signage on top. Most architects, I think, would prefer to have their masterpieces unsullied by signs. Of course, the pendulum has come around, hence the proposed change. At street-level, of course, neon is no longer considered garish, but an art form.Today, the Merita Bread sign on I4 or the CITGO sign in Boston are important civic landmarks.

There was a feeling, much more prevalent in the 70's as a reaction to some of the garishness of some of the 1950's and '60's excesses (and you may recall the 70's were the heyday of earth tones), that signs atop a high-rise were garish. Starting with Orlando's first modern high-rise in 1959, the First National Bank tower, all the tall buildings downtown had signs. On the other hand, I know that Nashville, Birmingham and Atlanta, three cities I'm familiar with, built most towers at that time without signage on top. Most architects, I think, would prefer to have their masterpieces unsullied by signs. Of course, the pendulum has come around, hence the proposed change. At street-level, of course, neon is no longer considered garish, but an art form.Today, the Merita Bread sign on I4 or the CITGO sign in Boston are important civic landmarks.

Plus the Marita Bread sign smells good. ;)

• Like 1

Last night I was driving down north I-Drive and I noticed how boring this section of town is getting. Maybe a similar sign rule could be placed in this area. Times Square has one to keep all the famous signs in place. Could I-Drive keep its tacky tourist ways in place through such a set of regulations? The interactive storefront element of this new regulation could really be put to good use along the sidewalks of I-Drive, as could the kinetic sign aspects of it. North I-Drive needs to compete to keep up with its southern county half.