Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

DDB update is out. Short story: they spent a lot of time making it pretty, but there's not really any new information in it. The tidbits I found interesting:

• Apparently Renaissance at Carver Square, the mixed use 11 story building proposed for 701 W Church is going to break ground in a couple of months. Surprising to say the least.
  • The 400 N Orange project is still on the books, but now includes an additional tower (looks like 8-10 stories ... not sure.) So, the project would be a 15 story tower (300 hotel rooms, office and ground level retail), and an 8+ story residential tower (300 residences, parking on lower levels) ... divided by a nice looking strip of road with presumably ground floor retail facing inward (think SoDo). There would also be a 400 car garage on the west side of the lot ... looks like the whole thing integrates nicely with the SunRail stop, the Lynx station, and the Urban Trail, making this a nice multi modal hub.
  • Camden Orange Court is converting some of their retail space to more residential units.

Link: http://downtownorlando.com/sites/default/files/Downtown_Development_Profiles_Third_Quarter_2010.pdf

Note that they haven't updated the split up documents here: http://downtownorlando.com/business/activity ... only the large combined document has been changed.

At this point I just want ANYTHING to be built on that 400 North Orange lot. This plan actually looks pretty nice given that it fills out the block well, provides all sorts of mixed-uses, and seems like it would complement the Lynx Central Station quite well. My only gripe is that the "Midtown Promenade" could feel more like an alley or driveway with those parking garage ramps opening out to it. I'd like to see it as a pleasant pedestrian-only street linking the station and Gertrude's Walk to Orange Ave. But at this point beggars can't be choosers, right?

I feel like these plans for 400 N Orange are conceptual at best. I like the idea of a promenade from Orange to the Lynx terminal evolving. It appears the developer recognizes the potential for a "terminal" type development. Train riders require amenities adjacent to the train station (usually in a larger terminal) such as pharmacy, quick food options, newsstands, bookstores, etc., so I hope 400 N Orange uses this incredible opportunity for those purposes.

Interesting enough, along the eastside of Interstate 4, along Garland Avenue, I if developers have looked into building/filling-in that area. Given the number of people who travel up and down on I-4, the visibility by from simply constructing along that straightaway would be a MAJOR SELLING POINT. In my ideal world, SunTrust Center-size and/or mid-rise skyscrapers would line up Garland Ave.

Good to see Rida Development taking advantage of that......

ridiculous. completely ridiculous.

So now what, a homeless person asks for some change, and you are supposed to say, sure, here you go, and put it in this meter. I can only imagine the curse-out you'd get from the homeless person. And who is going to just randomly put change in a parking meter - definitely not people parked on the street since they'll need that change for their own parking space meter!

What a complete waste of $10K. It will take years for these meters to collect enough coins (if ever) to account for $10K - before the meters break, or if you add the additional cost of maintaining and repairing (if they repair them). The most likely result is that they will eventually all fall into disrepair and be broken, rusted, leaning (or laying on the ground) reminders of a terrible idea.

And BTW, isn't it a LOT easier just to donate a small percentage of the existing parking meter fees and donate to homeless causes. duh!!!!

I know others think this is a waste, but I think it is about laying a foundation for the western half of downtown. The Lymmo was running on the eastern side of downtown long before the arts center had any kind of funding and that was supposed to be the southern point of interest on the loop. The current Lymmo route was also in place long before any of the recent projects were even planned such as 55W, The Vue, Dynatech, and Solaire/Plaza.

I think this is great. It looks like it won't be started until SunRail is in place, though, according to the 2013 project date. Is that correct?

I know others think this is a waste, but I think it is about laying a foundation for the western half of downtown. The Lymmo was running on the eastern side of downtown long before the arts center had any kind of funding and that was supposed to be the southern point of interest on the loop. The current Lymmo route was also in place long before any of the recent projects were even planned such as 55W, The Vue, Dynatech, and Solaire/Plaza.

I think this is great. It looks like it won't be started until SunRail is in place, though, according to the 2013 project date. Is that correct?

I don't think it's a waste, per se, and I agree that setting up infrastructure for the future is important. I think the concern is whether or not this is at the expense of a circulator elsewhere, for the residents/workers of downtown who are looking for transit solutions now.

In terms of the Sevens/Uptown, we obviously want to create a critical mass that is sustained from Uptown through Delaney Park, with the spine as Orange Ave. I do hope that one day Orange Ave has the skyscraper canyon effect of Chicago, NY, etc. Miami's Brickell Ave is a pretty decent canyon.

That said, I think Uptown needs to focus on mid-sized residential infill. It's a shame that Ustler's 801 N Orange proposal seems to be off the table now. That is exactly what Uptown needs.

New Blog Post: FUMCO Progress, LYNX Seeking Public Opinion on LYMMO

http://downtown-otown.com/2010/10/23/fumco-progress-lynx-seeking-public-opinion-on-lymmo/

I like how FUMCO is closing in on South Street -- the narrowing effect of the street makes it much more intimate.

Particularly from this angle: img_1530.jpg

Edited by prahaboheme

Hey I noticed how The Sevens were still on the development board for the 3rd Quarter of this year, how do you all feel about that?

I think there is a lot of potential in Uptown and I wonder, whether or not, after the Recession is over if this area is going to see a boom.

I really think that once a dedicated rail line serves Uptown, it will become the next hot bed of development. I'm pretty sure land cost are a little cheaper than the downtown core and it's ideal for residential development. Given those lot sizes, I would imagine that from a development stand point it's going to really take off in the next cycle. Ivanhoe has always been my favorite location in central Orlando and I am confident that it's a matter of time before it takes off. We have to remember that Orlando is still a relatively young Metro area and it's urban density is still developing. It's only a matter of time.

ST. PETERSBURG — City workers are using gallons of cherry-scented disinfectant to battle the stench from homeless people relieving themselves on downtown streets.

What flavor should we use for downtown Orlando? I'm recommending something citrus-y in keeping with our heritage!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/os-st-pete-disinfectant-homeless-20101023,0,1859199.story

Downtown building sells for $1.6M

Downtown Entertainment LLC paid $1.6 million for a 4,970-square-foot building in downtown Orlando located at 44 E. Central Blvd.

Colliers International’s Scott Corbin represented the seller, Banco Popular NA, in the transaction. The buyer was represented by Tom and Mark Cook of Cook Commercial.

Downtown Entertainment LLC currently owns and operates multiple businesses in the hospitability industry in downtown Orlando.

Read more: Downtown building sells for $1.6M {sodEmoji.|} Orlando Business Journal

Edited by DeepEyez

Vain to open Saturday night in Downtown Orlando

Looks like the new club Vain, taking over the former Lyrica space at 22 S. Magnolia Ave in downtown Orlando, will be opening this Saturday, Oct. 30. Here are the details:

“Downtown Orlando finally has a new nightclub and it is serious. The team that put together Vain did so with the vision of creating a mega club with attitude.

You can expect an amazing venue fully equipped with lights & sound unlike any other venue in Orlando. I know you think I am kidding but this is the first 3-D Nightclub on the East Coast.

Vain Grand Opening

Vain Orlando