Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Pine Street closed from Garland Avenue to Orange Avenue weekdays Jan 5th - Jan 10th

The subject location will be closed daily from 7 am until 4 pm beginning Wednesday January 5, 2011 for the removal of the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks. The closure will continue until Monday, January 10, 2011.

The closure is not scheduled to occur on weekends.

Pine Street closed from Garland Avenue to Orange Avenue weekdays Jan 5th - Jan 10th

The subject location will be closed daily from 7 am until 4 pm beginning Wednesday January 5, 2011 for the removal of the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks. The closure will continue until Monday, January 10, 2011.

The closure is not scheduled to occur on weekends.

Interesting that they need to close Pine for this - I guess it's the staging area as the bridge runs over Garland.

SunRail prep? I understand that the trains will be double-deckers.

Interesting that they need to close Pine for this - I guess it's the staging area as the bridge runs over Garland.

SunRail prep? I understand that the trains will be double-deckers.

It's long overdue. It has been dangling over the tracks for years. One side is connected to the church street exchange and the other isn't connected to anything ... Just sits there as an eye sore next to the 55W garage.

Might actually be related to SunRail, or the Urban Trail. They've had a lot of construction going on along that stretch of the Urban Trail over the last few months. They've actually been working on the bridge in the last couple of weeks with the assistance of some rail crews.

Tabu in downtown Orlando is now The Beacham

Tabu at 46 N. Orange Ave. in downtown Orlando is now The Beacham.

For those of you that have lived in Orlando for a while, you may remember The Beacham Theater is the original name of this historic venue that has been around since the early 1920s. Live music will be regularly returning to the space that has a capacity for 1,250 people. Tabu fixtures and Mojo Cajun Bar & Grill managing partners John SanFelippo and George Maltezos have partnered withGerard Mitchell and Michael McRaney (co-owners of next door neighbor The Social) in opening the newly named venue. There is also a doorway connecting the two locations.

http://blogs.orlando...-1#comment-1251

Edited by DeepEyez

Nice little carrot stick to dangle. Although at $25/PSF and $250K set aside that's only 5 businesses.

From what I understand, restaurants are not qualified for these city grants unless it is located west of I-4 (Paramorre District). Which is a bummer because there are alot of vacant spots down central that can sure use more restaurants, like a vietnamese noodle house :)

From what I understand, restaurants are not qualified for these city grants unless it is located west of I-4 (Paramorre District). Which is a bummer because there are alot of vacant spots down central that can sure use more restaurants, like a vietnamese noodle house :)

Does a needle exchange count as retail? That might serve the needs of the existing community better than a noodle shop... :whistling:

Another business (a brewery, yay!) heading downtown -- Orlando Blossom Pilsner brewery: Biz Journal article

Another, more comprehensive article, on this topic: Article

Downtown Orlando is flush with new bars and restaurants, so I do not think there will be issues for the owner in opening a brewery downtown (as seems to have happened in Tampa, according to this article) but we shall see.

Edited by prahaboheme

I have to agree with the city comissioners that a "Las Vegas style" fountain would ultimately detract from Lake Eola.

I agree and I'll take it a step further in saying that I think this color-changing LED lighting scheme for municipal landmarks is a fad that could end up leaving the Lake Eola fountain looking tacky. Just fix the fountain and keep the classic white or blue lights.

I don't quite understand where this trail is going and I know it has been brought up here before. Channel 9 just did a piece on the Dinky Trail cleanup and bike trail being built soon.

Orlando Spending Thousands On New Bike Path

The original Dinky Line RR ended up at Dinky Dock next to Rollins College (don't know if this will go that far). You can see where work is being done along 17-92 around Princeton, and also if you go back behind the Loch Haven Veterinary Hospital just south of Princeton you can see the work already pretty much completed. It's going to be a great run when completed.

Dyer files re-election paperwork

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer has officially filed the required paperwork to run for re-election in 2012.

Dyer has served as mayor since first being elected in 2003.

“For the last eight years, I’ve had the privilege of working for and alongside the residents of our great city as we make Orlando the best city to live, work, learn and raise a family,” said Dyer. “Our community’s accomplishments have gained national recognition, and we have united to move our city forward, overcoming many challenges.”

A formal campaign kickoff will take place this spring.

Read more: Dyer files re-election paperwork {sodEmoji.|} Orlando Business Journal

Edited by DeepEyez

Do we have term limits on mayor in Orlando?

No. Carl Langford served 14 years; Bill Frederick 12; Glenda Hood elected to 3 terms but resigned after 10 years to become FL Secretary of State. Generally, our mayors have been least effective after 8 years or so - burnout seems to set in. So far, Buddy, has been in 8 years (special election in 2003 to replace GLenda, elected to full terms in 2004 and 2008.)

Orange County mayors are term-limited to 8 years (although Rich Crotty got to serve 10 because he was appointed to complete Mel Martinez' term when Mel resigned to become HUD Secretary in 2001 and was then elected to two full terms on his own.)

Edited by spenser1058