Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Orlando is not in the position to develop onerous standards. They have to be driven by the tenants of these buildings. High demand areas can be more restrictive, but not markets like Downtown Orlando.

Precisely. Companies come or stay here because its cheap. Take a look around. The fortune 500 companies with the capital are not located in Downtown Orlando. Though we want the per sf build to be amazing, the local demographic doesn't. Unlike established cities, this is a town in training and hopefully someday it will get there. Until then, we will have to fight (through forceful education) to get the foundation planted. The Performing Arts Ctr and Sun Rail commuter trains are to some degree the first/next step.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the city force all developers to clad new buildings in limestone or marble. In fact, this has nothing to do with the quality of the development, it's merely ensuring that all new developments include ground floor retail/restaurant space, and at very least, urban street interaction (case in point -- no grassy separation from sidewalk to building as is the GAI example). This is not going to scare away a developer or a company.

Companies who chose suburbs over downtowns do so for reasons already mentioned. I don't see how infusing suburban elements into an urban environment strengthens the downtown core, nor runs off future potential development.

It looks like the Dolive Building is getting a very minor upgrade on the first floor level in the form of new metal awnings. Does anyone have any conceptual drawings, because I don't know if it is going to look right on that building??

Does anyone know who owns the Dolive building right now?

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, too. I think it's a good time right now to concentrate on smaller projects like this. It works well with the surrounding buildings on the corner, but I agree: brick all the way up would echo the existing style better (20th century commercial style?). I'm eager to see what retail/restaurant/bar would go here. Any guesses?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Information from their website:

http://www.concordea...oject.php?id=40

The Orlando Business Journal article today about Cambria Suites lists "113-space parking lot" but on the Cambria website it mentions "113 structed parking spaces." So are we getting a parking garage or surface parking? I'm hoping for a garage, I don't see how they would fit 113 spaces of surface parking on that size lot besides a garage would look much nicer in that downtown setting.

I guess the lot is too small to put anything skyline-changing, so I like the size. Nice "human-scale" addition to downtown. But I agree, the design is very unimaginative. Hopefully there are more details that aren't visible in the drawing...

I wonder what the 2,600 sf of retail space will be -- hotel lobby or actual street-level shops?