Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Edit: I researched and learned it WILL be for bicycles too. This is great because this isn't the case at Lake Underhill. Both lake bridges are corridors into downtown and at Lake Underhill bicycles have to go around the lake. In the case of Ivanhoe, the burden would be as much the brick road than any extra distance. Good stuff.

Edited by Downtown Steve

I figured the Ivanhoe Ped Bridge was nothing new, but I guess the media is now calling attention to it because it shows up on the transportation funding project list. The news station also mentioned the bridge will be a part of the Orlando Urban Trail (Dinky Line Trail), so Steve is correct in stating bicycles will be allowed. Lake Ivanhoe is a nice area, but I4 needs some sprucing up - like 408 streetscape style. I think the faux suspension bridge would make a great looking, albeit very expensive, landmark from I4 and Magnolia Ave. But maybe the planners should look for cost savings, avoid the HSR look and 86 any sheltered areas as not to encourage transients.

The MPB Agenda for the 7 story, 155 room Cambria Suites Hotel has been uploaded.

I like this:

"The taxi waiting area may be relocated to the ground level parking area, to allow for the installation of the minimum 15

ft. wide sidewalk with required street trees. The pedestrian entrances which load directly from the building onto the

sidewalk shall be recessed so the doors do not open onto the portion of the sidewalk shown at the minimum width."

This would be an awesome location for a restaurant that spills out onto the sidewalk. I like how discreet the parking garage is and how it fits in with the surrounding buildings, but I'm not a fan of the hat it's wearing.

but I'm not a fan of the hat it's wearing.

Apparently you aren't the only one -- from the report:

"8. Roofline- The building design strongly expresses a base, middle, and top. However, Staff recommends that the top

of the corner tower element be reviewed. A top with elements that reflect possibly the dome of the neighboring church

or a mo e art deco motif may be more appropriate. "

I like this project a lot more now that we've seen the details. The sky deck is going to be a really nice touch, and have great views over Orange. I do hope its restaurant style dining and bar (aka not another Chillers). This is also a small lot, so the small touches like the window treatments, will go far. The sidewalk awning is also an important feature for sun/weather protection. I wish all our downtown buildings included awnings, balconies, overhangs.

Edit: Did anyone else catch this:

"The submitted plans show a potential build out of several bar areas, seating areas, a 3rd floor lounge mezzanine, rooftop deck, and multi-story acrylic slide that runs from the rooftop deck to the ground floor."

I'm quite curious as to the tenant of a building with a multi-story acrylic slide. Do they already have a tenant lined up?

RE: the Orange Ave/Pine St project

Glad you mentioned the slide, kinda weird right? I think sliding down a 3 story slide would be the last thing I'd want to do after having drinks & a meal. I seriously doubt this place will be much different from Chillers or Latitudes after seeing the slide plans. Plus considering the location, any fine rooftop dining would be subject to noise pollution. Speaking of pollution, I'm glad to know the city mandates new buildings are constructed according to LEED standards by requiring a minimum of 315 sq ft of green roof vegetation. I think the firestation has a green roof as well.

The zoning agenda shows a few more details about the green roof and if you look closely at the interior renderings on page six, you'll notice what looks like a translucent corkscrew slide that leads from the rooftop to the first floor (lobby area?). Maybe someone could extract the pictures and post them? I'm not sure what to think of this building anymore. lol

Edited by LDG

RE: the Orange Ave/Pine St project

Glad you mentioned the slide, kinda weird right? I think sliding down a 3 story slide would be the last thing I'd want to do after having drinks & a meal. I seriously doubt this place will be much different from Chillers or Latitudes after seeing the slide plans. Plus considering the location, any fine rooftop dining would be subject to noise pollution. Speaking of pollution, I'm glad to know the city mandates new buildings are constructed according to LEED standards by requiring a minimum of 315 sq ft of green roof vegetation. I think the firestation has a green roof as well.

The zoning agenda shows a few more details about the green roof and if you look closely at the interior renderings on page six, you'll notice what looks like a translucent corkscrew slide that leads from the rooftop to the first floor (lobby area?). Maybe someone could extract the pictures and post them? I'm not sure what to think of this building anymore. lol

"I think sliding down a 3 story slide would be the last thing I'd want to do after having drinks & a meal."

That reminded me of Two Flights Up, a bar/restaurant located in the old Colony Theater building in Winter Park (now mostly occupied by Pottery Barn). As the name implies, it was two flights of stairs straight up from the street. This was not a problem when you arrived but got to be quite dicey after partaking of the various happy hour specials. Many were the Rollins students who had to be directed ever so gently toward the elevator in the back by the owners who stationed themselves at a booth right near the entrance to the stairway so as to avoid a nightly catastrophe. Ahhh, the good old days....

The submitted plans show a potential build out of several bar areas, seating areas, a 3rd floor lounge mezzanine, rooftop deck, and multi-story acrylic slide that runs from the rooftop deck to the ground floor.

I love how they sneak it in there, like it's something totally expected. I guess it's a good gimmick...? It could find appeal in that "Man, next time you're in Orlando you gotta check out this bar with a slide in it" way. Has anyone seen something like this before?

I love how they sneak it in there, like it's something totally expected. I guess it's a good gimmick...? It could find appeal in that "Man, next time you're in Orlando you gotta check out this bar with a slide in it" way. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Yes, it's called Wet n Wild.

Looks like this Pine & Orange thing is going to happen. Some activity on the foundation there today. Not sure what they're doing though ... Those two netted areas farthest away from the camera are two squares they cut into the existing foundation ... and on the near side, they've cut away all of the foundation adjacent to the Midnite Pizza building. Seems to me if they were building a new structure they'd just destroy all of the foundation in one fell swoop.

Anyone know why they'd do this?

Photo%20May%2009,%207%2037%2004%20PM.jpg

Looking for archeological artifacts, maybe? :D