Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Good news for those of us who like to be Green and see things repurposed:

The request to renovate the former OUC building into a 119 room hotel has received the OK from the Municipal Planning Board.

MPB Agenda

* Project is being developed under the "ALoft" boutique hotel brand (link brings you to aloft's website, w/photos of the brand in other cities)

* Building was sold to GDC Properties for $2.8 million (the same company building the mixed-use apts off Orange & Marks)

* Unofficial est cost to renovate: $6.6 million

* Will include screened outdoor seating and pool area along Orange Ave

* The parking sitch hasn't been figured out yet, but valet will be offered

I really like this project -- it'll be a great bookend to the southern portion of Orange Ave and a great addition to the evolving performing arts district. ALoft is a Starwood Hotel brand and we know that Starwood has shown some interest in the past to bring the W brand downtown.

Good news for those of us who like to be Green and see things repurposed:

The request to renovate the former OUC building into a 119 room hotel has received the OK from the Municipal Planning Board.

MPB Agenda

* Project is being developed under the "ALoft" boutique hotel brand (link brings you to aloft's website, w/photos of the brand in other cities)

* Building was sold to GDC Properties for $2.8 million (the same company building the mixed-use apts off Orange & Marks)

* Unofficial est cost to renovate: $6.6 million

* Will include screened outdoor seating and pool area along Orange Ave

* The parking sitch hasn't been figured out yet, but valet will be offered

I wonder if the new owners know that the building was designed to be 2 floors taller and that they were left unbuilt for future expansion? Someone tell them quick!!

Will the reno hotel has a restaurant?

The Sentinel reported it'll have a coffee shop. But I think it would be cool to have an upper level restaurant with views of Lake Lucerne.

As a side note, I read an old article which mentioned a previous buyer wanted to convert the first few floors into an indoor parking garage.

$200M downtown development would tie into SunRail station

65615743.jpg

The company that built ChampionsGate and Hilton Orlando plans to build a $200 million mixed-use project that would tie into SunRail's main station in downtown Orlando, the Orlando Sentinel has learned.

Click here to read the full article from the Orlando Sentinel

Welcome news, for sure. I do hope it moves forward -- we've seen so many failed proposals for this lot over the years that it is almost impossible to believe that anything will ever be built here.

That said, I question the architectural components of this project. Is Mediterranean Revival appropriate for downtown Orlando and on such a prominent location? The rendering looks like Coral Gables or Naples.

I can agree with that - especially since this will be placed squarely between the Courthouse and the Creative Village/Lynx Station. It doesn't really fit in.

It would be cool to see the buildings staircase up to the courthouse. I'm envisioning walking off the train heading East.

That said, I question the architectural components of this project. Is Mediterranean Revival appropriate for downtown Orlando and on such a prominent location? The rendering looks like Coral Gables or Naples.

I have some doubts as to whether or not those renderings accurately reflect what the final product will look like.

Often times these preliminary renderings are little more than artist's conceptions for the purpose of giving people something to look at.

At least I hope so in this case. I'm tired of seeing that kind of generic suburban looking Mediterranean Revival crap everywhere you look around here.

BORING.

tc01, I completely agree with the sentiment. My only concern is that Mediterranean Revival does not speak to the vernacular of Orlando in the way that it has to other parts of Florida, so I worry that it will set a presidant for future downtown growth if we introduce a "Coral Gables style" village on downtown Orlando's most prominent undeveloped plot of land. One of the aspects to downtown Orlando and it's surrounding districts that I appreciate is how unique it is among Florida cities.

I think for the perfect location like this lot, they should build something in the caliber of time werner centre in NYC... those buildings are too short to fit in the downtown image. It kinds of look like a mini town center which have minimal retails. But since this is Orlando, I cant expect much. I hope they would build something around 20 to 25 stories to fit in better with the courthouse and BofA.

A 5 stories mall at the based of the building would be ideal since there are so much residential development around the uptown area and the train will help to bring in people and tourists.

I think something like the Citrus/Virgin Olive (821 N Orange) building would look nice. It's clean and modern, but not as cold as a lot of the proposed all-glass buildings. I think a mix of glass and stucco/metal like that building meshes well with the Mediterranean building across from it, but doesn't look out of place when compared to the courthouse.

I know everyone was looking forward to a skyscraper in that location, but 7 - 10 stories -- especially multiple buildings -- is pretty dense. After all, the courthouse is only 24 stories.

Good call alex, I love that Citrus building...one of the nicest looking in town.

I have to totally agree with all the comments in here. I swear this artist rendering looks almost identical to Renaissance Commons in Boynton Beach. This style does not work in a CBD. It wouldn't even fit in Thornton Park with the contemporary and art deco looking buildings. I'd even take a SoDo look-alike over this.

Doesn't the city have any say in the design when they approve such developments?

I think something like the Citrus/Virgin Olive (821 N Orange) building would look nice. It's clean and modern, but not as cold as a lot of the proposed all-glass buildings. I think a mix of glass and stucco/metal like that building meshes well with the Mediterranean building across from it, but doesn't look out of place when compared to the courthouse.

I know everyone was looking forward to a skyscraper in that location, but 7 - 10 stories -- especially multiple buildings -- is pretty dense. After all, the courthouse is only 24 stories.

Keep in mind that they are talking about including a FUTURE office building on the southern boundary (Livingston), which could very well be in the 20 story range. Nothing to get overly excited about, but at least it would have an impact on the skyline. And who knows.... maybe it'll be taller.

• 2 weeks later...

A move is afoot to make Thornton Park a Main Street Neighborhood, apparently being led by the Thornton Park Merchants.

"Through The Orlando Main Street Program, districts are chosen using a competitive selection process. Each district receives financial and technical assistance and intensive training in the Main Street approach from Orlando Main Street and the National Main Street Center. In turn, each Main Street organization hires a full time Executive Director, raises matching funds, incorporates its organization and implements its programs according to an annual work plan."

If you're interested, they're asking folks to go to "Make Thornton Park a Main Street Neighborhood" in Facebook and Like it.

They should just merge the existing route and the creative route together in a hybrid route. Three routes is too much. Agreed, the east/west route should hit the Amway at some at some point (Division/Church). The north/south route would be great for downtown residents to get to the hospital and the sodo merchants and restaurants. That's unfortunate. (Oh but wait, we can take a loud locomotive down that way? Oh, there's no stop down there? Oh, that's right.) Can we at least get bus cut out's on Orange for a compromise?

Not having a stop directly at the Amway Center is a major oversight, and I don't quite understand the orange loop routing. I find it strange that Lymmo would prefer to expand west and south of Amway to blighted areas of Parramore rather than to nearby areas with new development along Orange Ave. like Uptown and SoDo.

If I lived in the South Eola neighborhood, I'd already be close enough to the CBD to walk to it or at least to the existing Lymmo stop at Central and Magnolia so the new teal loop wouldn't do a lot for me except connected me with parts of Parramore I don't want to go to. On the other hand, if I were homeless and hanging around that soup kitchen just west of the arena, I'd love a free, air-conditioned ride over to the nice side of downtown where I could spend the day panhandling around Lake Eola.

Is it too late for them to modify?. I have gone to the Lymmo public meetings and was satisfied with what was proposed. I only went to a couple and they must have changed the routes. The east west was supposed to go Central and church from eola to terry. That made sense. What is now proposed has me baffled.

The lack of a North/South extension is what boogles me. Florida Hospital is making significant investment in the Uptown district, bringing density and hundreds of jobs over the next several years. Orlando Health is doing the same South of Downtown. They are both commited to transit oriented development, that is clear. Where are all these people going to eat on their lunch breaks? Don't we want to engage pedestrians in mass transit use, and shouldn't we be setting that up proactively?

I certainly can see Thorton Park as a "Main St", although I don't like how that term is used. But, I am troubled by this idea that everything is some kind of marketing project. I think that if this keeps going, not only are the "main streets" going to become something of a joke, I worry that they are going to loose the very idea of what they are - natural developments of small local businesses acting locally.

I think city funds could be used better in other areas. Thornton Park is already "there" or close enough to get there without the funding.

Regarding the LYMMO -

There is a North/South ("Hospital to Hospital" and beyond) that is being studied. To me that's a huge route as both areas have the potential for dense development versus the historic areas.

The Parramore/Creative Village route was funded separately than the N/S and E/W with a special grant. It definitely seems redundant but will the northern part of the existing route be there in a few years? I'm not sure how much of that area is going to be redone for Creative Village. The LYMMO currently runs up and through the Centroplex Garage - is that staying put?

Bypassing the Amway Center is not an accident. Church Street closes for large events. That would be a problem if there is dedicated lane.

Not to mention, that Orlando has celebrated that the new Arena setup encourages walking to the games and giving foot traffic to downtown businesses. The E/W gets within 2 blocks of Amway and the existing track gets within three. In other words, you're as close as 80% of the parking.