Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Logistically harder than creating an ice rink on land. The water underneath would constantly warm the ice and melt it... much more than ground. That would also lead to liability issues. I think there is a temporary ice rink in Winter Park every year that fills that void and you can always go to RDV for open ice skating.

Lake Eola Park is large enough to put a rink in it without putting it on the lake. The large field in the corner closest to Panera would be good and get great street visibility. Maybe Howard Middle School and the Catholic grade school could even do a field trip there (among others who could possibly bus in).

They do it at UCF as part of "Light Up UCF"

I think it's a great idea - but definitely not "on the lake"

Logistically harder than creating an ice rink on land. The water underneath would constantly warm the ice and melt it... much more than ground. That would also lead to liability issues. I think there is a temporary ice rink in Winter Park every year that fills that void and you can always go to RDV for open ice skating.

UCF started bringing an outdoor ice rink to the Orlando area 4-5 years ago and a few others have copied it. They have a pretty nice setup if you haven't checked it out. Its open till Sunday... If we build to many of them, there won't be enough people to support the cost of each one.

I spoke with the new park director at Lake Eola a few months ago and he was working on a floating ice rink for this past December and had a Corporate sponsor that was interested for a hockey tournament, but apparently the idea fell through (THE ICE).

^ Added a little to what you said.

Edited by bulldogger

Particularly...what are the 2 hotels in planning on the west side of Amway Center?

Isn't one supposed to be included in the Magic entertainment complex?

I don't get by often but it looks like there is a newer construction sign at the lot on Pine and Central - where the 3-story venue with the corkscrew slide in the blueprints was all the talk a few months ago on here.

Secondly, the fenced off lot on E. Colonial between Summerlin and Shine looked like it had a tarp down on it. I believe this is the lot that Kobe's owns but is selling as they are looking to go into the old Barnie's Steak/Seafood.

I don't know anything about construction to know if either of these developments mean anything.

I don't get by often but it looks like there is a newer construction sign at the lot on Pine and Central - where the 3-story venue with the corkscrew slide in the blueprints was all the talk a few months ago on here.

Yeah, a few weeks ago a sign went up naming the general contractor. That's a positive indicator.

Secondly, the fenced off lot on E. Colonial between Summerlin and Shine looked like it had a tarp down on it. I believe this is the lot that Kobe's owns but is selling as they are looking to go into the old Barnie's Steak/Seafood.

I don't know anything about construction to know if either of these developments mean anything.

For this, it's a former gas station site... I think it is part of de-contaminating the ground. There have been pipes coming out of the ground there for months.

Sorry - it's not letting me quote...

prahaboheme - it looks like the Clean the World building is just outside of Creative Village's footprint.

CTW actually has space there now, but looks to build above or directly next to their current 1-2 story warehouse based on the article's description of the site being on Pittman.

Sorry - it's not letting me quote...

prahaboheme - it looks like the Clean the World building is just outside of Creative Village's footprint.

CTW actually has space there now, but looks to build above or directly next to their current 1-2 story warehouse based on the article's description of the site being on Pittman.

That's how it seems to me, too. The site is awfully small for a 10-story building, don't you think, even if they use all the space from Hughey to the hotel. I think it will be some visual interest (and god-forbid private development) on the West of I-4. Can't wait to see plans!

I just cant see a Subway in that corner. That corner (and area) is too trendy for a suburban chain. Downtown orlando retails are so uninspiring. 4 mexican joints (Muchos, Chicos, Gringos, Tijuana), soon to be 5 custom draft beer joints (WOB, Sonoma, Franks, Draft, Space), 3 7-11 stores, soon to be 3 yogurt stores, and endless salons, pizza, and hamburger joints.