Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Ha - that's fine. Just don't blame me for the World of Beer. I was pretty excited about that.

That said, sunshine - how breaking is this news about WOB backing out?

They have a Facebook page that they have been using up through this past Saturday and on Jan 1 they posted "Coming Soon!"

http://www.facebook.com/WOBDowntownOrlando

Edited by Downtown Steve

A decades-long drive to build a highway across the Wekiva River likely came to a successful end Tuesday after the project won approval from a key regional transportation board.

The decision means construction on the $1.66 billion Wekiva Parkway could start as early as this fall at the west end near Apopka. Work on the east end, where the toll road links with Interstate 4, would begin in 2017. The parkway would largely follow State Road 46 and be complete by 2021.

It looks like West Church St. is getting some streetscape upgrades between Amway and the Citrus Bowl. This seems to include BRT lanes that are not in the current expansion phases. Any thoughts on that?

From the City Council item - "The project includes upgrades to the existing pavement sections, widening sidewalks on both sides, new street lighting, undergrounding existing overhead utilities, a faux bridge at the new Parramore Heritage Park, upgrades to stormwater collection systems, intersection signalization upgrades, future "Lymmo" type service lanes to the Citrus Bowl, landscaping and irrigation and other aesthetic improvements."

I'm not sure which one is the priority (E/W or N/S) but if the E/W is going to be done, then now is the time to do it along with the rest of the improvements to W. Church Street. I know their goal is to have them both done by the end of 2013 before SunRail arrives.

In terms of SunRail, I'd put E/W as a higher priority than N/S. If I live outside of Orlando and take the train in, I have the choice to get off at Orlando Health, Church Street, LYNX Central Station or Florida Hospital. AKA, the center and the north and south ends of the North/South LYMMO track.

The only reason I'd have to walk far is if I worked in an office in Thornton Park/Eola Heights/Colonialtown. And on the west end, the LYMMO would connect those residents to the train that they could then take north or south outside of Orlando or to the hospitals.

• 2 weeks later...

Steel House made some visible progress over the past week. The plumbing looks like it's been done for a while now, but last week they got a rather large crane (second one downtown!) and at the end of last week the parking garage started to take shape. Sorry for the bad car pictures, but I was excited to see it take shape:

post-25309-0-82236000-1329755355_thumb.j

post-25309-0-40552300-1329755365_thumb.j

Renderings of the final project:

Stee+lHouse+rendering.jpg

Great to see an update on this project! Thanks for taking the photos. I drove by yesterday and noticed it looked like work had been done but didn't catch a glimpse of that prefab concrete from Colonial.

Also noticed that the gaudy green building on E. Colonial across Magnolia from the 7-11 (northeast corner) is now repainted and has the signage for a Boys & Girls Club. Much better looking than before.

Also noticed that the gaudy green building on E. Colonial across Magnolia from the 7-11 (northeast corner) is now repainted and has the signage for a Boys & Girls Club. Much better looking than before.

They did much more than just repaint it...the exterior was completely renovated (and inside I believe as well). The old front facade was completely ripped out and rebuilt, and they they added some nice architectural (art deco?) features on the sides. They really did a great job reusing that building.

Edited by Pete C

They did much more than just repaint it...the exterior was completely renovated (and inside I believe as well). The old front facade was completely ripped out and rebuilt, and they they added some nice architectural (art deco?) features on the sides. They really did a great job reusing that building.

Snapped this while heading north on Magnolia. Definitely looks a lot better.

post-25309-0-04088500-1330546861_thumb.j

• Like 1

Heading to Tampa the other day I noticed some markers around where the new Regency Village Drive I-4 flyover (near Vineland Ave) to Palm Parkway is going. It is about to break ground soon so this may be the first small signs of the construction there. It was just a few stakes in the ground with ribbons on them but still an exciting sign!