Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

What a shame. But I'm sure Mr. Lust would persuade the owners of Mama B's to sell - especially since he received a much lower offer the 2nd time around... and without perks.

I would assume if a new development is reworked and built around a holdout, the value of the remaining parcel will decrease since the property can no longer be aggregated into a larger plot, thus limiting future redevelopment of the site due to zoning & size constraints. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Damn I wish that 23 story building would be getting built.

Well a 23 story is being proposed for the site - the descriptions I included for each project were taken right from the ARB agenda, but we just don't know what they will look like yet. The Magnolia Circle condo was actually a 30 story tower.

Edited by LDG

Well a 23 story is being proposed for the site - the descriptions I included for each project were taken right from the ARB agenda, but we just don't know what they will look like yet. The Magnolia Circle condo was actually a 30 story tower.

Ohhh Ok. I wonder why they scaled down? At this point it doesnt matter anything downtown will help! I rather see density than extreme height anyway.

I just hope the tower isn't blue like VUE and Dyntech

Check this out - the Park Davis Motel (Owned by the church there) is off the market and looking to retrofit under the ownership of the Church.

Looks pretty cool and could take care of an eyesoar on Colonial and Irma Ave.

Faith Arts Village

aerial_view2.JPG

Faith Arts Village Picks Winning ADLab Team's Redesign

A design by a team of UCF students caught the eyes of judges at last weekend’s competition to select a proposal for turning an old Orlando motel into an arts village.

http://today.ucf.edu...teams-redesign/

favoart-548x365.jpg

Edited by rich305

Fun little tidbit - Anthony's Pizza (50 & Mills, not Summerlin & Washington) is moving from their current location to the south side of 50 a few businesses east of Mills. Nice 2 story facade green and red.

The move should be completed this May.

I hope that the buyer of the old location tears down the existing structure or adds on in a way that brings it to the corner.

We're a CVS retrofit from that intersection being vastly improved place.

There's quite a bit of parking out back, so maybe with some shared parking incentives they could wave those requirements. Three stories would be nice to give the corner some definition. Imagine a small three-story building there, and a larger three+ story building on the empty lot at the SW corner of Colonial and Thornton. It would change the entire area.

Perhaps it could be first floor retail with two stories of offices. Even retail with small apartments above wouldn't be bad -- there are people living above the Smoke Shop two doors down.

Looks like Ustler has his hands full. Aside from working on the Creative Village, Ustler will be developing the Florida Hospital Apartments in the Health Village http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-florida-hospital-housing-20120430,0,295653.story and his website has him linked to the hotel that was just announced earlier this week at Orange and Colonial http://www.ustler.net/properties.

Would love to see more renderings if anyone has them.

The area also has more than ample access via transit.

Links 28 and 29 both leave the station and head north to Colonial and head east through the district.

Link 125 goes from the station east on Robinson and then up Mills. It then continues to Mills/Princeton and west to Princeton/Edgewater (before continuing on...) for people who want to get there from College Park or vice versa.

Curiously, there is a 23 story, 320 unit apartment building called Skyhouse going up in midtown Atlanta. Novare and Batson-Cook have a joint partnership.

This is the new strategy for this developer (Novare) who previously built condos all over the southeast and Texas. They are branding the apartments "Skyhouse" just like Alta, Post etc. This development will look VERY similar to the two (so far) being built in Atlanta and elsewhere with only minor cosmetic differences. It'll be good to have new development and more density in downtown though.

100%206th%20Street%20large.jpg

The MPB for this month has been posted. I've included a little info on the earlier proposals, now vs then, just to show how plans have changed. These are the current renderings & links to the agenda:

O+C Hotel

8 story, 132 room hotel with 4,000 sq ft ground floor commercial space and a 156 space integrated parking garage

Still being considered Phase 2 of the Camden Orange Court Development

post-26482-0-62269700-1336797697_thumb.j

VS

O+C Office/Retail

The original proposal in 2005 was Phase 2 of Camden Court with an office component facing Colonial Dr

Proposal amended in 2006 to develop a12 story mixed use building with 10,009 sq ft commercial space + 143,820 sq ft office space and a 430 space parking garage

SKYHOUSE APARTMENTS

23 story, 320 apartment building with 8,232 sq ft ground floor retail space and a 471 space, 8 story stand-alone parking garage

VS

MAGNOLIA CIRCLE CONDOS

Original proposal was for a 30 story building with 200 condo units, 13,000 sq ft retail/restaurant space and a 384 space integrated parking garage (on floors 2-7)

Curiously, there is a 23 story, 320 unit apartment building called Skyhouse going up in midtown Atlanta. Novare and Batson-Cook have a joint partnership.

I love that in the Appearance Review Board Agenda it states that the new building will be built, "across the street from the courthouse, by the cul de sac parking area on Magnolia." No need for a block and lot number in Orlando, yet.

I'm a little surprised by the lack of streetfrontage (sp?) in the O+C project. Also, is Mama B's holding out? Do you guys think this will play out like the Mills Park development staring down the cash transponder store?

Also from the MPB: is this anything to get excited about? This block has a set of small 1-story block homes, very very different from the emerging midrise neighborhood growing around it. I know they were up for sale in the last year at one point.

EOLA/JACKSON PROPERTIES (SKOMSKY ET AL)

Applicant: Hal H. Kantor - Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor and Reed

Owners: Paul J. Skomsky (225 S. Eola Dr.); Heart to Heart (608 Mariposa St.); Marjorie H. Fain Trust (601 E. Jackson St.); Neil Beckingham (609 E. Jackson St.).

Location: 225 S. Eola Dr.; 608 Mariposa St.; 601 E. Jackson St.; 609 E. Jackson St., located south of Mariposa St., east of S. Eola Dr., north of E. Jackson St., and west of S. Summerlin Ave. in the South Eola neighborhood (+0.5 acre).

District: 4

Project Planner: Jenny Wheelock, (407-246-3145, [email protected])

A) GMP2012-00005*

Amend the Future Land Use on the subject properties from Residential Medium Intensity to Residential High Intensity.

B) ZON2012-00003**

Rezone subject properties from R-3B/T and R-3B/T/AN to MXD-2/T and MXD-2/T/AN.

Recommended Action: Approval of the requests, subject to the conditions in the staff report.

I love that in the Appearance Review Board Agenda it states that the new building will be built, "across the street from the courthouse, by the cul de sac parking area on Magnolia." No need for a block and lot number in Orlando, yet.

Actually the ARB only mentioned the address. What I wrote in parenthesis was just my description of the the location to avoid confusion with the other grassy patch of land accross the street. I used landmarks for anyone not familiar with the address. :blush: But I'm pretty sure the MPB mentions the actual parcel ID... and doesn't include directions like "take 230 steps from Lake Eola heading North on Rosalind St, follow the bend and make a left at the 2nd oak tree".

I'm a little surprised by the lack of streetfrontage (sp?) in the O+C project. Also, is Mama B's holding out? Do you guys think this will play out like the Mills Park development staring down the cash transponder store?

Also from the MPB: is this anything to get excited about? This block has a set of small 1-story block homes, very very different from the emerging midrise neighborhood growing around it. I know they were up for sale in the last year at one point.

EOLA/JACKSON PROPERTIES (SKOMSKY ET AL)

Applicant: Hal H. Kantor - Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor and Reed

Owners: Paul J. Skomsky (225 S. Eola Dr.); Heart to Heart (608 Mariposa St.); Marjorie H. Fain Trust (601 E. Jackson St.); Neil Beckingham (609 E. Jackson St.).

Location: 225 S. Eola Dr.; 608 Mariposa St.; 601 E. Jackson St.; 609 E. Jackson St., located south of Mariposa St., east of S. Eola Dr., north of E. Jackson St., and west of S. Summerlin Ave. in the South Eola neighborhood (+0.5 acre).

District: 4

Project Planner: Jenny Wheelock, (407-246-3145, [email protected])

A) GMP2012-00005*

Amend the Future Land Use on the subject properties from Residential Medium Intensity to Residential High Intensity.

B) ZON2012-00003**

Rezone subject properties from R-3B/T and R-3B/T/AN to MXD-2/T and MXD-2/T/AN.

Recommended Action: Approval of the requests, subject to the conditions in the staff report.

No new development is being proposed. Basically the current use of one of the properties is a non-conforming office building in a residential area. Instead of trying to rezone a single property, it's better to join with neighbors to apply for a zoning change from multifamily to mixed use. At the very least, this will increase the land value, but maybe the aggregated parcels will attract a developer in the future. The property for sale you mentioned is on the other half of that block, fronting Summerlin Ave. The site is being marketed as "The Carriage House", a 108 bed assisted living facility. Here's a flyer with more info/pics.

A nice sign of life for downtown retail...I was downtown on Saturday and saw that locally-owned Obsession Boutique has re-opened in its former location on E. Central right next to Eola Wine Co. Not sure when that happened, but glad to see they are back in business. Menchies fro-yo is also open at the Paramount, with the Pure Salon on the horizon. That means that entire block will be occupied soon.

I didn't get a chance to run by 101 Eola...is Aura Bar making any progress? Before I moved I noticed that there was more working going on in front of that space so it looked like it was finally making progress.

Edited by Pete C

The MPB for this month has been posted. I've included a little info on the earlier proposals, now vs then, just to show how plans have changed. These are the current renderings & links to the agenda:

O+C Hotel

8 story, 132 room hotel with 4,000 sq ft ground floor commercial space and a 156 space integrated parking garage

Still being considered Phase 2 of the Camden Orange Court Development

post-26482-0-62269700-1336797697_thumb.j

VS

O+C Office/Retail

The original proposal in 2005 was Phase 2 of Camden Court with an office component facing Colonial Dr

Proposal amended in 2006 to develop a12 story mixed use building with 10,009 sq ft commercial space + 143,820 sq ft office space and a 430 space parking garage

SKYHOUSE APARTMENTS

23 story, 320 apartment building with 8,232 sq ft ground floor retail space and a 471 space, 8 story stand-alone parking garage

VS

MAGNOLIA CIRCLE CONDOS

Original proposal was for a 30 story building with 200 condo units, 13,000 sq ft retail/restaurant space and a 384 space integrated parking garage (on floors 2-7)

Ok. I'm actually excited for the 23 story building Skyhomes orSkyview or whatever. I looked it up the height for Skyplace is 347 Ft.

Magnolia Circle was only going to be 327 Ft.

The height of the O&C Hotel is 87 Ft. Not Bad.

According to their social media, the Downtown Orlando World of Beer is "official."

Location hasn't been mention - but the timing certainly jives with the permitting for outdoor seating on Lake Eola by Post Parkside - where it was originally rumored to go...