Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I was really hoping for more of a central terminal vibe there rather than an apartment complex like this. Who in the heck is going to live there? I think they are going to have a hard time filling that place. I'd rather live at the Steel House rather than on top of a bus terminal with all the bus users milling about the grounds.

I'm not sure if someone uploaded these already, but here are a few conceptual massing model images of Rida Development's Central Station. The images were taken from an easement agreement between Lynx & Rida:

^^^^ EXTREMLY Disappointed. Was hoping for a high rise especially on this lot. I hope this project fails.

I was really hoping for more of a central terminal vibe there rather than an apartment complex like this. Who in the heck is going to live there? I think they are going to have a hard time filling that place. I'd rather live at the Steel House rather than on top of a bus terminal with all the bus users milling about the grounds.

I'd live here before I live at steelhouse. Better access to transit and not living on a huge roadway. It's the dumbest project I've seen in a while in Orlando.

These renderings show street level apartments and large parking garages with no visual focus. Both of these things were items I thought the city requested to be changed. Also wasn't the middle of the property supposed to be larger to match the courtyard in front of the courthouse?

These renderings are a let down compared to the former proposals for that site.

For a lot with so much potential this is truly a let down. And what is with the suburban drop-off lane that cuts right through the center of the plot?

This is not designed with sound urban principles in mind. I really do hope this is just a sketch, and not to be taken seriously.

Yea, that 1.5 mile has to be a typo. Two questions, why dont they just have the building be on top of the garage? And why is the height limit set at 347 ft per FAA? Isnt the courthouse taller than that? Nevertheless, excited that any highrises are being proposed. Hope that Rida site doesnt get built, what a waste for that space.

Thank you guys, it was 0.3 miles. Now that i have graduated, I hope I get more time to update the blog regularly. The Orange County Courthouse I believe is rough 400-450ft. I agree with you guys on the Rida development, however when it was proposed they did say it will be mid-rise. Also it does not look anywhere near what it did with its initial rendering.

Central-Station-rendering.jpg

Thank you guys, it was 0.3 miles. Now that i have graduated, I hope I get more time to update the blog regularly. The Orange County Courthouse I believe is rough 400-450ft. I agree with you guys on the Rida development, however when it was proposed they did say it will be mid-rise. Also it does not look anywhere near what it did with its initial rendering.

Yep, the new rendering looks far more toned down and boring by comparison. I remember people hoping for something more urban and less South Florida than that original rendering, however the new one looks devoid of any character. I really hope those new renderings are not the final product.

I'm disappointed to see the scaled back plans for RIDA (as well as Mills Park for that matter) but it's just the market we are in. We all have common interests on here but at the end of the day we aren't laying out the cash, we're not reading the data and most of us acknowledge we wouldn't be a customer for many of these things we'd like to have in our city.

I don't think I'd ever hope for any of these projects to fail - we can only go up from there. But we'll never go anywhere if things are stagnant.

I suppose the benefit of the Rida project scaling back is that while it's losing height, it's still occupying a city block in downtown, which just increases the value of property around it ... and will ultimately lead to increased pressure to go vertical. That said, it looks like we're having our first real push for another apartment high-rise downtown. It has been too long... if they break ground on a 23-floor tower before the end of the year I'd be very excited.

Think about it like this: in 2.5 years as we're approaching 2015, and obsessives like myself are hopefully still posting on these boards, we may be reflecting on a period of huge success for downtown. SunRail, Church Street Station, Lynx station, Skyhouse, DPAC, new Lymmo routes, Cambria suites, Rida (hopefully improved), the old OUC building open as a Starwood Aloft property, Ustler's new hotel near 50, and possibly a new entertainment / sports / hotel complex on the west side of I-4 for Amway Center.

That's just in the CBD, and it's only projects that are already assured to happen or have a great deal of likelihood. Let's pray for a strong recovery going into 2013. I'm optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun, a pic of progress at Steel House:

post-25309-0-58256300-1338994624_thumb.j

Steelhouse, yet all wood. FAIL of a project FAIL FAIL FAIL But noooo everybody in Orlando wanted this. Am I the only one that Despises this project?

Also, a lot of steel going up at the DPAC. More at the construction cam website.

post-25309-0-21081200-1338995807_thumb.j

DPAC is impressive. Im excited for it.

Steelhouse, yet all wood. FAIL of a project FAIL FAIL FAIL But noooo everybody in Orlando wanted this. Am I the only one that Despises this project?

I don't love it, but it's better than what's there now.

Couldn't have really expected much more at a location like that one.

I don't think anyone would put a highrise right on Colonial.

It is funny that they call it Steelhouse & it's all wood, though. :ermm::lol:

It may not be the most impressive project to ever hit Orlando but that block has sat vacant and blighted for over a decade. I welcome the change. More apartments in Uptown means more sustained population, ultimately resulting in a more vibrant district.

Edited by prahaboheme

Steel House will be a welcome sight on that corner. It is not a bad looking project at all IMO. Not understanding why you would not be happy about a private developer putting in a multi-story project that fronts the street.

I'm cool with steel house. What was there before was an huge eyesore, so a modern multi story apt building with no surface parking visible along colonial is a big upgrade. It'll look nice when it's completed and the additional residents downtown will be a boon for pedestrian traffic and local business.

Is Cambria Suite site cleared?

Yes, the building has been knocked down and all the debris has been removed from the site and the ground is leveled. They did not remove the trees and bushes around the perimeter of the lot; however. When they knocked down the building two weeks ago, a swarm of rats exited and have been running around Lake Eola and the downtown area.