Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Great write up. The architecture of this complex is amazing. What it needs is one recognizable brand to succeed and the rest of the spaces will fill up. I heard that owners of hamburger marys are looking to open up another of their concept restaraunt in the former Bliss location? I tried to comment on your blog but its giving me troubles.

Church Street Station is listed once again with a local group of agents and tons of new plans are in the works there. I got a tour of the complex and got some insight on the future of this iconic local landmark. I just posted Part 1 of the entry, covering Cheyenne, Club Paris, Bumby Arcade, and the Train depot itself. The new focus will be more on larger, recognizable brands. The new tenants will be less nightclub focused and instead will be open for lunch and dinner with late nights shifting to more of the club/lounge scene. This means that the area will be more active during the day. Also the tarp over the road is put on hold for now and the 'From Motown to Otown' show has been canned.

The best thing is that this new team is excited about the buildings themselves meaning that the buildings are part of the selling point itself. This will hopefully translate into businesses, like Ceviche, that celebrate the architecture instead of hiding it (like Club Paris and Bliss tried to do).

Picture This: Inside Church Street Station (Part 1 of 2-The Southern Block)

Tomorrow I'll cover the north block including an inside look into the now closed Bliss space and the Exchange. And I'll share some more of what I learned about new retail moving coming to the complex.

Great work. I moved downtown after this whole area imploded, so a lot of that was new to me. Very cool.

• Like 1

Church Street Station is listed once again with a local group of agents and tons of new plans are in the works there. I got a tour of the complex and got some insight on the future of this iconic local landmark. I just posted Part 1 of the entry, covering Cheyenne, Club Paris, Bumby Arcade, and the Train depot itself. The new focus will be more on larger, recognizable brands. The new tenants will be less nightclub focused and instead will be open for lunch and dinner with late nights shifting to more of the club/lounge scene. This means that the area will be more active during the day. Also the tarp over the road is put on hold for now and the 'From Motown to Otown' show has been canned.

The best thing is that this new team is excited about the buildings themselves meaning that the buildings are part of the selling point itself. This will hopefully translate into businesses, like Ceviche, that celebrate the architecture instead of hiding it (like Club Paris and Bliss tried to do).

Picture This: Inside Church Street Station (Part 1 of 2-The Southern Block)

Tomorrow I'll cover the north block including an inside look into the now closed Bliss space and the Exchange. And I'll share some more of what I learned about new retail moving coming to the complex.

Great work, I appreciate your time and talent in acquiring and consolidating this information. I am so excited about the recent activity in downtown and can't wait for tomorrow's updates!

• Like 1

Great write up. The architecture of this complex is amazing. What it needs is one recognizable brand to succeed and the rest of the spaces will fill up. I heard that owners of Hamburger Marys are looking to open up another of their concept restaurant in the former Bliss location? I tried to comment on your blog but its giving me troubles.

I agree on the recognizable brands being the key, looks like the new agents are focused on filling the majority of the space with these types of brands.

I approve the comments but I didn't see any awaiting approval. I haven't heard anything about Hamburg Mary's bringing another concept here. I was inside the Bliss space yesterday, it would need major improvement before something could open there. As of right now Ceviche is using the kitchen attached to Bliss so when a new restaurant moves into the Bliss space all of that will also have to be worked out.

Great work, I appreciate your time and talent in acquiring and consolidating this information. I am so excited about the recent activity in downtown and can't wait for tomorrow's updates!

Thank you, I love finding out about our great city. I've always done it, now I get a good outlet for it.

Picture This: Inside Church Street Station (Part 2 of 2-The Northern Block)

Tour inside Bliss and the Exchange building. Bliss will convert back to a restaurant, the Exchange will start aggressively attempting to bring retail back in. Some interesting insight into the new plan to help revive this complex. Expect a men's clothing store and at least one retailer in a large flagship store. Rumors covered in the post include the most recent of a sports apparel brand looking at the space to bring a downtown regional flagship store in.

IMG_2849.JPG

Simply amazing Ken - thank you! I arrived in Orlando in 1999 to attend UCF and really didn't venture downtown until 2003. By then I missed out on most of this.

Is the Exchange building's halls open to the public or only those who have access for the studios?

Also - from Part 1 - if not Magic Mike, Coyote Ugly?

Well I sure am glad to hear The Exchange is coming back.

Back in the early 90's I used to work nights there in a card & gift store right off the top of the escalator & to the right, while attending classes during the day.

I'm sure they plan to have more local oriented businesses in there than back then, but I do remember there were a lot of stores that seemed like they'd be viable businesses today. A lot of apparel stores like Victoria's Secret, Margaritaville & Duckhead, Benitton, etc. There was also a Mrs. Fields Cookie store too. Cookies always sell!!! :P

But there were also a lot of "touristy" stores too, like this cheesy "I-Drive" style electronics store, a custom candle place, a place that made fudge while you watched underneath the X-shaped stairwell & a British (or was it Irish?) knick-knack store.

There was also a Black Market Minerals store in there that I rather liked. They were also in the other area malls like Fashion Square & Florida Mall as well, but those stores all closed up, too.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it coming back & I hope it thrives.

Downtown needs a place like that.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

Simply amazing Ken - thank you! I arrived in Orlando in 1999 to attend UCF and really didn't venture downtown until 2003. By then I missed out on most of this.

Is the Exchange building's halls open to the public or only those who have access for the studios?

Also - from Part 1 - if not Magic Mike, Coyote Ugly?

That'd be my guess but with the focus on more restaurants maybe something like Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, not them but something like that.

Although I'm no fan of Lexus Lanes, it looks like possible movement coming to the final leg of Trans4mation. If at long last we'll have the funds to undo the disaster that is the junction of I4 and the East-West (FL408), the biggest traffic headache in the region will finally get a huge Excedrin. Kudos to John Mica for getting this past the Grumpy Old Men in the US House at long last.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-29/news/os-congress-lexus-lanes-20120629_1_toll-lanes-lexus-lanes-free-lanes

Glad to see the variable toll lanes being put in place. The results in South Florida have been fantastic.

I don't think we'll reach a "pay as you go" system based on the number of miles you travel, at least not in Florida. We can't even get the gas tax brought up to something the resembles the costs of driving.

The more tolls the better, in my opinion

From twitter:

"Get excited sub lovers! Jersey Mike's is coming to Church Street this summer!"

Score.

https://twitter.com/...823007219191808

Good stuff...now they have 2 of the best fast casual chains on Church St with this and Five Guys.

On a side note, I'd love to see a McDonalds in the CBD right on Orange Ave. Every major downtown has an beautiful old building with a McDonalds retrofitted into it. I don't know what that building on the northeast corner of Orange and Central was originally, but a McDonalds on the first floor would be neat.

I believe that building is for sale - at one point someone was going to put a restaurant in and in the process gutted the bottom level. So it would need some work.

Definitely would be a good spot for McDonalds or really a lot of different retail types. Walgreens/CVS would be a winner.

Good stuff...now they have 2 of the best fast casual chains on Church St with this and Five Guys.

On a side note, I'd love to see a McDonalds in the CBD right on Orange Ave. Every major downtown has an beautiful old building with a McDonalds retrofitted into it. I don't know what that building on the northeast corner of Orange and Central was originally, but a McDonalds on the first floor would be neat.

State Bank of Orlando and Trust Building?

Can we get something other than Burgers, Subs, Tacos or Frozen Yogurt?

State Bank of Orlando and Trust Building?

Can we get something other than Burgers, Subs, Tacos or Frozen Yogurt?

The old State Bank building housed Florida national Bank before it moved north of Colonial in the 60's. In the 80's, OC bought it and at one point it was the Elections office. After that, the FAMU Law School used it until they got their new building over on Hughey.

As to mass burger franchises, I think Royal Castle came first (think a Miami-based version of Krystal/White Castle) on Church St. In the 80's, Manny Garcia (of Pebbles fame) opened a Burger King on Orange between Central and Church. The entire Royal Castle chain died, and when Manny sold his BK's to corporate, they closed the downtown store. Supposedly, it was for much the same reason as the demise of the Boston Market in the Church Street Market - no business at night. One assumes that we are well on our way to losing that problem.

I LOVE the idea of a Walgreens/CVS back on Orange Ave (there used to be drug stores every block - in fact, they were the last retail to abandon downtown before the bars, wig shops and tattoo parlors took over downtown).

Edited by spenser1058

Here's a good report on SkyHouse with a bunch of renderings towards the end!

They northern part of the property will be deeded to the City as a park and it is good to see the garage will have ground level retail.

It would be phenomenal if the result was anything like the renderings in terms of pedestrian activity on Rosalind. Would make the walk from neighborhoods to the north and east much better.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/MPB/2012%20MPB%20Agenda%20Minute%20%26%20Staff%20Reports/May/MPL2012-00007.pdf

Why is the tower adjacent to Palmetto instead of Rosalind? I think i'd like this more if the garage and tower were reversed so as not to have a large garage streetwall along Rosalind. The groundfloor retail does make up for it a bit, and I think the pocket park will be nice.

Edited by prahaboheme

Why is the tower adjacent to Palmetto instead of Rosalind? I think i'd like this more if the garage and tower were reversed so as not to have a large garage streetwall along Rosalind. The groundfloor retail does make up for it a bit, and I think the pocket park will be nice.

This is a chicken and egg conundrum, but about the only pedestrian activity that takes place on Rosalind occurs from the folks that have to cross it to get somewhere else. It's pedestrian-unfriendly south of Central and downright dangerous north of there. I suspect that's a major reason retail has been a complete failure (see the VUE, Embassy Suites, the many attempts at retail there on the corner of the Met, etc.) Until the city decides to make it more pedestrian-friendly and FDOT agrees to go along, I don't see that changing and it might as well be a garage fronting it since the vibe is that only cars are welcome. At least fronting on Palmetto gives an opportunity for an interesting diversion.