Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

css.jpg

Not neccesary the real thing but this is what intedned for that location...

I assume this is the NE corner of South and Garland, and represents the Church Street Station Stop area?

and here is the other

lynx.jpg

This is a view of looking west from the Courthouse area with the most recent RIDA proposal at the Lynx Sunrail Station?

There is an item on tomorrow's ARB meeting for 899 N. Orange Avenue. A 6 story 245 unit apartment building with 11,500 s.f. of ground floor retail uses and associated 400 space parking structure. I have forgotten if there are renderings of this building. I've always thought that lot would make a great park with quality plantings and hardscape. Is there another opportunity uptown along Orange for a destination park, or at least something to link Downtown to Lake Ivanhoe?

FDOT owns most of the property west of the train tracks, I believe that the train tracks is where the bike trail is going along beside so maybe they could widen the trail a bit and add some points of interest along there. Other than that I don't know of any. I'm working a blog post right now about Uptown (covering SteelHouse, 899, Sevens, WDBO building, etc. The pics are already up on my Picaso so take a look if u want) and I found a project the city did in mid 2000s saying that a park was needed in this area but none have come about. A few pocket parks have been proposed but each time the property has been sold to developers.

At this point I think a good elevated park linking Sevens property with the Sentinel property would be the best option though I seriously doubt such an option would ever be realized. In all actuality Beth Johnson and Ivanhoe aren't that far from Uptown, its the area south of Colonial that truly needs a park. The southern block of Sentinel property would be most ideal, but for that I guess we'll have to wait a few years :whistling:

It used to be a proposal for a Hilton hotel (not sure if it still is).

It's so unusual to see a rendering for a high-rise in Orlando with a small footprint and no parking pedestal. I could get used to that...

What is this building? I recall a large hotel was planned for this site years ago.

This doesn't look like the Hilton renderings, at least not the ones I've seen. The Hilton was a bit shorter and with a more traditional CSS style to it. This has a much more modern look to it. New building or just super old proposal that hasn't officially died yet?

The building behind it is a part of the SunRail proposal, from my understanding that property is currently being marketed for a new tower. These two towers would really add a good number of people to this area and add some more interest from the interstate, imagine seeing 55W peeking through in-between these two towers. Layering of buildings!

Hello Everyone. Long time listener, first time caller... I just came across two projects for Lake Eola not seen before. Does anyone have information as to whether these are simply concepts or are they investor backed? Both the mixed-use Eola Office building and Bloom Pavillion would contribute (much needed) unique architecture to the city.

http://www.processarchitecturellc.com/2008/05/07/lake-eola-office-building/

http://www.processarchitecturellc.com/2008/05/20/bloom-pavilion/

Hello Everyone. Long time listener, first time caller... I just came across two projects for Lake Eola not seen before. Does anyone have information as to whether these are simply concepts or are they investor backed? Both the mixed-use Eola Office building and Bloom Pavillion would contribute (much needed) unique architecture to the city.

http://www.processar...ffice-building/

http://www.processar...bloom-pavilion/

Welcome, Captain!

I don't remember these renderings in particular, but this parcel of land is being discussed in another thread - http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45835-developer-proposes-office-tower-near-lake-eola/

Long story short, there was citizen outcry and the City is now adding the land to Lake Eola Park to keep commercial development from happening on it. I think the waterside feature was paired with the tower project, and when it died, that died too.

I remember the proposal to keep commercial development from the recent acquirement, but I had never before seen a proposal on the "food court" / Farmers Market site before. In theory, in the annexation, Washington can be planted over in a new park addition for the Farmers Market. Building this relatively small footprint mixed-use with parking could definitely help the park and surrounding businesses. This could be the solution for the Lee's Lakeside spot and add to retail/restauramt streetscape on Central all while incorporating into the surrounding park. A shame too about the pavillion.

Architecture of this scale alone can attract more retail downtown, in my opinion. I love it though, modern architecture embracing old Florida characteristics! The Smart Car dealership is such a cool concept to take over that small of a space downtown(but that was 2007 rendering, might not happen at all :unsure: ). We need more of this modern architecture of this scale to mesh with the old. European cities, and several U.S. cities have done this so well, it would be nice to see this in our own.

• Like 1

Deal close on fixing I-4 link with S.R. 408

It looks like we have serious movement on central Florida's most congested interchange and a major bottleneck for those trying to get downtown. While the idea of Rick Scott's FDOT farming out the project to private ownership is cause for concern (Chicago, for example, is in a bit of a mess after handing over parking and the Skyway Bridge to private firms), this is something that should have been fixed 15 years ago.

Edited by spenser1058

I've downloaded the 60% plans for the OBT to Ivanhoe section and it's pretty amazing how complicated the design is. This will really be a massive project. Too bad they can't go ahead and do a couple of the easier ramps, like southbound I-4 to east and west 408. All of the other ramps are very complicated.

• Like 1

I've downloaded the 60% plans for the OBT to Ivanhoe section and it's pretty amazing how complicated the design is. This will really be a massive project. Too bad they can't go ahead and do a couple of the easier ramps, like southbound I-4 to east and west 408. All of the other ramps are very complicated.

Agreed. It is sad that all of this has more to do with a lack of will caused by ideology than by an actual lack of opportunities for funding, but it is what it is.

The reason there are no ramps to southbound I-4 is not a money issue. The I-4 widening must be completed first. To put in a southbound ramp now would mean tearing it up again as soon as it's completed to widen I-4.

• 2 weeks later...

At Monday's City Council meeting, the Council approved a lease of Lake Eola parkspace to develop an outdoor dining area. This is rumored to be the location of a World of Beer which continues to update it's social media accounts with a "Coming Soon!" message but has remained silent on the location.

Summary:

The City owns property at the Park adjacent to a building owned by Post, housing Post Parkside Apartments. Post proposes leasing part of the first floor in its building to one or two restaurant businesses. In conjunction with those facilities, Post wishes to construct the Outdoor Dining Area, to be used by one or both restaurants, to be located partially on Post's property and partially on land City will lease to Post. Post will sublet the Outdoor Dining Area to one or two subtenants, which will occupy the restaurant(s). The restaurant(s) shall either be first-class dining establishments as defined in the Lease, or else restaurants deriving at least 51% of their revenues from the sale of food and nonalcoholic beverages. The Outdoor Dining Area has been approved by Conditional Use Permit CUP 2012-00002.

Post and its subtenants will be responsible for constructing and maintaining the Outdoor Dining Area along with a sidewalk leading from the Park to the Outdoor Dining Area for patrons of the restaurant(s). The Lease also provides for tenant's maintenance of a landscape area adjacent to the Outdoor Dining Area.

The initial lease term will be eleven (11) years, with options to renew for two five-year terms. The initial rent shall be $1,698 per month increasing at the rate of two percent (2%) yearly, with a "true up" to market rent at the start of the second renewal term. Thereafter rent will continue to increase two percent (2%) yearly for the remainder of the term. The City may terminate the Lease for its convenience upon 180 days notice; however, should that occur at any time during the initial term of the Lease, a reimbursement of costs and expenses must be made to Post. The reimbursement is initially $400,000 declining on a straight-line basis through the end of the initial term.