Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

What is art deco about the Antigua space? It always looked like some sort of latin-themed space to me with the rooftops and all. It's not exactly Kress.

What is art deco about the Antigua space? It always looked like some sort of latin-themed space to me with the rooftops and all. It's not exactly Kress.

The rejection mentioned the black tile facade being important. I'm disappointed that they wouldn't make an Irish restaurant work in that space ... Was looking forward to it. That said, I hope it is more Southwestern US Mexican, not Florida "Mexican". As someone who grew up in Los Angeles, I'm continually disappointed by Florida Mexican restaurants. San Jose's over on the west side pretty much nails it, though.

• Like 1

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

What are the other 2 projects at Post Parkside besides World of Beer?

First one to open will be The Hyppo which will be the first gourmet popsicle shop in Orlando. They have a store in St. Augustine currently and as you can see, people love it. It really is an amazing product so very exciting to have it locally. This is going in the old Slate modeling space.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/294/1530970/restaurant/Downtown-St-Augustine/The-Hyppo-St-Augustine

WOB is going to be the next to open. They are going to have the patio on the side where the current brick roundabout is. That road will be torn up and some of it claimed along with the grass right there to make the patio.

The last tenant going into the old Eola Wine space is some sort of salad and wrap type concept. Don't know too much right now because they won't be open till next year.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

First one to open will be The Hyppo which will be the first gourmet popsicle shop in Orlando. They have a store in St. Augustine currently and as you can see, people love it. It really is an amazing product so very exciting to have it locally. This is going in the old Slate modeling space.

http://www.urbanspoo...po-St-Augustine

WOB is going to be the next to open. They are going to have the patio on the side where the current brick roundabout is. That road will be torn up and some of it claimed along with the grass right there to make the patio.

The last tenant going into the old Eola Wine space is some sort of salad and wrap type concept. Don't know too much right now because they won't be open till next year.

Thanks for that update, DowntownRetail! I'm looking forward to all the new development in this area. Especially the addition of a terrace to that area. I think it really has the potential to transform that area. I'm also looking forward to any restaurant/retail concepts that may occupy the former AltaModa Salon on Central.

Edited by Captain.Metro

Thanks for that update, DowntownRetail! I'm looking forward to all the new development in this area. Especially the addition of a terrace to that area. I think it really has the potential to transform that area. I'm also looking forward to any restaurant/retail concepts that may occupy the former AltaModa Salon on Central.

Yeah that area looks like it will start drawing a lot more folks to that side of Lake Eola beyond just the farmer market on Sunday. The AltaModa spot will remain a salon as far as I know. There are quite a few people looking at it and they don't want to change its use at all.

Very impressed at this turnaround since when I lived at Post in 08-09.

And this is all BEFORE the LYMMO starts carrying workers in the CBD down Central every 10 minutes making a South Eola/Thornton Park trip on a lunch break a comfortable reality.

Future is extremely bright.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the grand opening. At first I was a little skeptical about a popsicle shop especially since "gourmet" seems to be a term thrown around pretty loosely these days (e.g. Jimmy John's). But after reading the reviews and visiting their FB page, I suddenly had a popsicle craving. Their website (http://thehyppo.com/kitchen.html) could use some work, but I love the fact that they try to source fresh and local ingredients. Will they offer a different menu for the winter? And I'm a little surprised (but thankful) that Dr Phillips wasn't the default location of choice.

Edited by LDG

The wrap/salad place going in over there is going to be Eden's Fresh () third location and should be open before the end of the year. They have a spot right across from the Plaza building that I go to all the time :)

I had a meeting with the downtown development board and they said that Eight Ninety Nine Apartments will break ground before the end of the year. They also stated that it is looking like we will have two buildings breaking ground next spring in the Creative Village.

The old Steak and Ale at Edgewater and Colonial will also become a 7-11 soon.

6! (this, of course, is not even counting the ones at Robinson/Primrose, Colonial/Westmoreland and Mills/Colonial - Mayor Bloomberg may not like Big Gulps, but, by God, Buddy does! :shok: )

I had a meeting with the downtown development board and they said that Eight Ninety Nine Apartments will break ground before the end of the year. They also stated that it is looking like we will have two buildings breaking ground next spring in the Creative Village.

Where are these apartments going? South Eola by any chance?

Does anyone know if there is any activity in in the South Eola area. Specifically the land surrounding the Star Tower. Seems like a perfect place for apartments. I know there were some planned at one time, but not sure if anything is going on now.

A fence is up around the 899 lot. Bad news for people in the area who have apartement dogs that need to be walked and...well...you know...

• Like 1

A fence is up around the 899 lot. Bad news for people in the area who have apartement dogs that need to be walked and...well...you know...

awesome, hard to believe this project started as two green, twin towers called "Verde"

still excited to see movement on this lot.

Don't mind the Slantinel - they've been pandering of late to the geezers up in The Villages who still pay for dead-tree papers (it became more noticeable of the editorial page's slant moving to the right about 2 years ago and we often notice more political news some days about Lake County than about Orange). We now call it the Leesburg Sentinel.

In any event, they've lost so much of their journalism staff since Tribune Co. tanked that it's a mere shell of its former self anyway. Florida, which once had a number of great newspapers (including the Sentinel), now has only the Tampa Bay Times as the state's newspaper of record. Special kudos to the Florida Times-Union, though, for doing really great work on downtown and development stories.