Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

While looking for rental comps in the area I saw this strange ad for Steel House:

post-26482-0-57374900-1351003373_thumb.j

Btw, the OC hotel isn't going to replace Mama B's because the owners didn't want to sell (I heard they weren't offered enough money). Instead, the hotel will be built around Mama B's in an "L" shape.

It's quite a shame that O+C Hotel won't be building out to that corner. Mama B's is an eyesore IMO. The potential for that corner is hindered by them being there.

Yes, you're right http://www.cityoforl...2012AgendaR.pdf

I had also thought that 777 was a mid-rise office, not apartment building

Sorry to be blowing up this thread...working from home today. I was right. Hunton Brady was the architect. The building is being revamped apparently for residential use. http://www.huntonbrady.com/pizzuti-777-2

Mica pushes for Greyhound bus terminal in downtown Orlando

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2012/11/mica-pushes-for-greyhound-bus-terminal.html

"The state, Greyhound and Lynx are reportedly in talks to put the private bus terminal next to the public transportation authority."

Is this adjacent to Lynx Terminal?

What is the average stop time for Amtrak and are the trains short enough to not close any roads downtown during loading and unloading?

Unless the speed and size replicates what SunRail is doing...90 second stops and less than a minute from gates down to gates up while passing a crossing...id continue to prefer Amtrak to stay put for its 2-3 trains a day. Remember - the station will have LYMMO service in a few years

The size is a good question. I think they typically have about 12 cars total but I don't know the exact length in feet. I think the LCS block is about 660 feet in length. The train could be long enough that closing a street (Amelia probably) might be an issue. I'm not sure if the average stop times would be any more of an issue at LCS than it would be at the ORMC stop. I'd be interested to know how they plan to handle that.

Rida Central Station (400 N. Orange) has submitted plans for Courtesy Review by the ARB.

"The Applicant is requesting a Courtesy Review in anticipation of Final Review for a multi=phase development that includes a 6-story, 280 unit multifamily bldg., with integrated parking garage, a 6-story 125 key hotel, two office buildings [6 and 8 story] and a standalone parking garage."

http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2012/11Nov/ARBNov2012Agenda.pdf

Rida Central Station (400 N. Orange) has submitted plans for Courtesy Review by the ARB.

"The Applicant is requesting a Courtesy Review in anticipation of Final Review for a multi=phase development that includes a 6-story, 280 unit multifamily bldg., with integrated parking garage, a 6-story 125 key hotel, two office buildings [6 and 8 story] and a standalone parking garage."

http://www.cityoforl...v2012Agenda.pdf

Thanks for the update. Have they released more detailed renderings? Also, phase 1 includes a hotel...any word if a particular brand has committed to the location?

http://www.cityoforl...v2012Agenda.pdf

Disappointment for this piece of land.

A post from over on SSC (http://www.skyscrape...=1508228&page=6) :

"Anyone else seeing a pattern?

Steel House

899 North Orange

Sevens

RIDA

Mid-rise Fever. Build with the cheapest materials possible to a height threshold that will maximum profits, short term. I guess this is what happens when developers finally figured out our dirty little secret: we aren't a condo market.

I think I liked it better when they built condos. Said condos went bust. Said condos converted to apartments."

Ahhhh, where to begin...

My first thought was that jack and RedStar will be thrilled in that this is as pure a market signal as one is ever likely to see.

I also thought about the movie, "St. Elmo's Fire," if you happen to be old enough to remember it (I am and my '80's crush on Rob Lowe no doubt keeps it in my mind.)

Finally, I was reminded of Saturn and how GM (especially Chevrolet) all but assured its eventual demise by starving it of the resources to move beyond the initial compact car.

Now, how do all those things go together in my twisted mind? Let's start with the market. As the SSC poster pointed out (I believe it to be, btw, one of our finest UP posters as well but I don't know that), we do indeed seem to be detecting a patten. That of course, is what a successful market does - it responds to signals.

"St. Elmo's Fire?" At the end, the gallant gang of Brat Packers, following a series of post-collegiate misadventures and, perhaps maybe even growing up, decide to forgo the wild Georgetown college bars for a Sunday brunch at Bennigan's (hey, it was the 80s.)

Saturn? After introducing an incredibly successful American-made compact car, GM proceeded, due to an internal power struggle, to starve the brand of a second, larger model. The result? Folks who had purchased the SL as their first car had nowhere to go within the brand as their incomes increased, they started families and just wanted something a little bigger as their 30-year old pudge took hold. Most went somewhere else for their next car.

Orlando has spent the past couple of decades filling downtown with bars and burger joints and not much else. Also, downtown real estate, being pricy, and since the dearth of retail (after the initial huge additions of Publix and the Plaza CInema Cafe) means it's all but impossible to live downtown without a car for the basic necessities of life. So, that being the case, when you're ready to settle down and get about the business of being a grownup, you move. Why not move to Colonialtown if you're going to have a car anyway, since, in addition to the somewhat funky vibe, you have all the middle-tier shopping anyone could want? As you get a little older and more sedate after that, there's College Park. It lacks most of the shopping but it's ohhhh so much more tasteful than dealing with all the bar hoppers at the hundred plus bars downtown (and hey, you have to be at work in the morning!)

So, I believe the developers are giving downtown exactly what it has prepared itself for: entry-level apartments for early 20-somethings who like to party. We also have all the retirees in the towers. Anyone between 30-65? Not so much. Will that change? I certainly hope so. I believe it was praha and perhaps bulldogger or JFW who observed that DPAC could be the catalyst for a different kind of downtown environment. We can only hope.

Edited by spenser1058