Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

301 South Orange is a nice addition.

Do you mean 30 S. Orange? 

It seems they have (again) gotten less ambitious with that lot. Of course, it started out as a 4 story bar with a spiral slide for express rooftop to ground floor transportation ... so it was bound to change. Slightly disappointed to see this down to 2 stories, though. :\

As for the Rida Development lot, I'm actually kind of happy to see it sort of back to a vague sketch. The last actual rendering was a blocky white facade structure that was not at all impressive. At least the watercolor image has a rounded edge or two. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of infill developments on the table. None of them are particularly sexy or tall but some of the most blatant gaps in the Orange Ave. street wall will be filled in and I'm more optimistic about these projects coming to fruition seeing as they're not exactly overly ambitious pipe dreams. It's imperative that these expansive parcels of empty land get built up--even if it's for a relatively bland 5-story apartment complex--so the remaining land in the CBD becomes more valuable, forcing future developers to build upwards.

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of infill developments on the table. None of them are particularly sexy or tall but some of the most blatant gaps in the Orange Ave. street wall will be filled in and I'm more optimistic about these projects coming to fruition seeing as they're not exactly overly ambitious pipe dreams. It's imperative that these expansive parcels of empty land get built up--even if it's for a relatively bland 5-story apartment complex--so the remaining land in the CBD becomes more valuable, forcing future developers to build upwards.

I have to agree. They are not sexy, and extremely height challenged but It'll make for a more active downtown. 

Being young as I am I always wondered why they didn't build up, but I relaize why. There are still some blocks and lands left to build out and by all means people will build out instead of up.

So in all, I'm glad for the development. I may not see another tower get in Orlando for my lifetime (as it seems with these small projects but I'm over exaggerating)

Only skeptical about the Rida Development. I think that is a terrible project for that piece of land.  All the rest of them I Can deal with. 

If anything it'll look closer to the one in Atlanta:

skyhouse_atl1.jpg

Photo Courtesy of The Raleigh Connoisseur  July 5 2012

And this one in September. I don't think the finishes are all that bad in this photo.  Courtesy of oxblue1 on SkyScraper Page Forum e8a294e4.jpg

OMG that is the worst rendering I have ever seen!  :shok:

I hope they build a neighborhood market downtown for the North Quarter Residents.

Edited by CaptainJustice

It seems they have (again) gotten less ambitious with that lot. Of course, it started out as a 4 story bar with a spiral slide for express rooftop to ground floor transportation ... so it was bound to change. Slightly disappointed to see this down to 2 stories, though. :\

As for the Rida Development lot, I'm actually kind of happy to see it sort of back to a vague sketch. The last actual rendering was a blocky white facade structure that was not at all impressive. At least the watercolor image has a rounded edge or two. 

Definitely more of a rough sketch than an actual rendering, but at least the design seems to have changed from that bland Mediteranean looking crap they were showing.

Hate to see 30 S.Orange shrink to 2 stories too, & don't much like the addition of the balcony either. I liked the clean vertical look.

Was down by the Cambria Suites site for the tree lighting yesterday. That site looks so nice now, with those big, shady old oaks. I hope the footprint of the new building employs some type of interior courtyard that allows them to remain there. Even though they'll never be seen by anyone but the guests. 

They've put up Central Station banners on the wall that surrounds the site. Nice to see something actually representing progress with it.

^Do the banners include updated renderings?

They don't, but they include a generic logo. Not overly impressive, but anything that indicates that this project is actually happening is encouraging. Even if it ends up staying as a mid-rise project, i'm ok with that. The plans include groundfloor retail which the area desperately needs. Downtown lacks shopping options. Between Steel House, Skyhouse, The Sevens and now NORA, the Uptown/CBD will have over 1200 new units in just over 2 years time. Those people are going to want and need shopping options. I think they're doing it the right way- bring the people first, and the businesses will follow.

There have been discussions about it but it is not likely to happen soon. The old Greyhound station was also on Amelia on the other side of I4 where the parking garage is now (it was demolished as part of the original arena complex.)

Ahh okay thanks. Whoa that must have been before I was born? I wonder what made them move it where it is now.

The old Greyhound station was also on Amelia on the other side of I4 where the parking garage is now (it was demolished as part of the original arena complex.)

I had forgotten completely about that & I had actually been in there a few times, dropping off or picking up people. It was right on the corner of Hughey & Amelia.

Ahh okay thanks. Whoa that must have been before I was born? I wonder what made them move it where it is now.

It wasn't that long ago. Late 80's - early 90's when it moved. The reason was because the city was building the new garage & Greyhound needed a bigger space anyway. I guess that was the closest spot they could get to downtown that met their space requirements.

December's MPB has been posted. A residential/commercial complex is being planned for the lot behind the Lexington, near the Creative Village site. It will consist of 104 affordable housing units & commercial space:

post-26482-0-22299900-1355421852_thumb.jpost-26482-0-26293000-1355421289_thumb.j

This is a huge scale-back from what was planned in 2006. The previous plans for that property were grandiose; consisting of 43-story and two 37-story residential buildings, a 14-story office building, a 6-story mixed use building and a parking garage:

post-26482-0-93241400-1355420738_thumb.j

Edited by nite owℓ

December's MPB has been posted. A residential/commercial complex is being planned for the lot behind the Lexington, near the Creative Village site. It will consist of 104 affordable housing units & commercial space:

attachicon.gifMap.jpgattachicon.gifApt.jpg

This is a huge scale-back from what was planned in 2006. The previous plans for that property were grandiose; consisting of 43-story and two 37-story residential buildings, a 14-story office building, a 6-story mixed use building and a parking garage:

attachicon.gifCity Place.jpg

Aw, certainly not grand like this project. Either way, I'll take development downtown.! Especially on that side of I-4

I had forgotten completely about that & I had actually been in there a few times, dropping off or picking up people. It was right on the corner of Hughey & Amelia.

It wasn't that long ago. Late 80's - early 90's when it moved. The reason was because the city was building the new garage & Greyhound needed a bigger space anyway. I guess that was the closest spot they could get to downtown that met their space requirements.

Yeah before I was born lol. 

attachicon.gifMap.jpgattachicon.gifApt.jpg

attachicon.gifCity Place.jpg

Um, Hunter's Creek called...

Wow -- I hope I'm wrong but this looks just terrible.  I mean, this is as low as it gets in terms of design and materials.  I know it's apartment mania right now, but we've really taken an architectural leap backward.

Ahhh, yes. Those were heady days indeed, weren't they?

Back when we thought anything was possible... :ermm:  :cry:

Um, Hunter's Creek called...

Wow -- I hope I'm wrong but this looks just terrible.  I mean, this is as low as it gets in terms of design and materials.  I know it's apartment mania right now, but we've really taken an architectural leap backward.

The architcture doesn't look so bad, it's just that it's another damned six story building... :angry:

Edited by JFW657

Ahhh, yes. Those were heady days indeed, weren't they?

Back when we thought anything was possible... :ermm:  :cry:

The architcture doesn't look so bad, it's just that it's another damned six story building... :angry:

The previous project would have been a challenge to execute even if the market did not collapse. They only way it would have worked is if the office rents were comparable to Downtown Miami and the condos sold for $400,000 and up. I dont like to talk ill of another mans work but I did not understand City Place to put it nicely. 

As much as many want Orlando to be the next Manhattan, I think Uptown and now North Creative Village is a good scale to bring in a huge residential population up closer to the CBD.  NORA, Sevens, Steel House and this really move Orlando in the right direction.  Not everyone wants to live in a Sky House.  It does make it more important that the I-4 overpass of 50 when it gets built takes pedestrian traffic seriously.  Also, would be nice to see a Gertrude's Walk / Urban Trail - SR 50 flyover. 

Another positive note to this is:  As downtown and midtown get boxed in on the north and east, forcing future highrise project closer to the CBD to go south and west, busting through the 408 - I-4 barriers.  A good thing, in my view. I personally was concerned that a long skinny skyline basically following Orange Ave was less optimum than a more clusted CBD around a central point. 

I don't think the the 43-story SMOG project was ever a serious proposal.