Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

On the contrary -

Colonial won't be as bad with OC and Steel House both up to the street.  It won't be great but it won't be as bad.

Orlando Urban Trail adds a viable commute option into town and up to Florida Hospital

LYMMO, as you mentioned, will be running at 10 minute peak, 15 minute off peak frequencies.  That's pretty good.  The downside is for the system to expand north and south it will likely not be free any longer.  But that could have a good affect if people who will use it daily start buying LYNX passes, they might find themselves taking a bus to other places like Winter Park or east Orlando or the airport.

Doesn't the Urban Trail master plan call for construction of a pedestrian bridge over Colonial?

Downtownorlando.com has updated their Q3 development profile:  http://www.downtownorlando.com/site/uploads/2012/11/Development_Profile_3Q12_Website.pdf

A newer rendering of RIDA (terrible) and 30 S Orange.

It's a very impression-istic rendering. Makes me wonder if they don't have firm plans for what they want to do. I believe this lot is cursed!

@Steve Good point about the previous office uses. Retail will be sure to follow once the residential density increases. Personally, Ivanhoe has always been my favorite part of downtown and I think that this is a great step toward strengthening the core. Also, at some point the city will have to create a unified streetscape Uptown.

Edited by mrh3

301 South Orange is a nice addition.

Do you mean 30 S. Orange? 

It seems they have (again) gotten less ambitious with that lot. Of course, it started out as a 4 story bar with a spiral slide for express rooftop to ground floor transportation ... so it was bound to change. Slightly disappointed to see this down to 2 stories, though. :\

As for the Rida Development lot, I'm actually kind of happy to see it sort of back to a vague sketch. The last actual rendering was a blocky white facade structure that was not at all impressive. At least the watercolor image has a rounded edge or two. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of infill developments on the table. None of them are particularly sexy or tall but some of the most blatant gaps in the Orange Ave. street wall will be filled in and I'm more optimistic about these projects coming to fruition seeing as they're not exactly overly ambitious pipe dreams. It's imperative that these expansive parcels of empty land get built up--even if it's for a relatively bland 5-story apartment complex--so the remaining land in the CBD becomes more valuable, forcing future developers to build upwards.

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of infill developments on the table. None of them are particularly sexy or tall but some of the most blatant gaps in the Orange Ave. street wall will be filled in and I'm more optimistic about these projects coming to fruition seeing as they're not exactly overly ambitious pipe dreams. It's imperative that these expansive parcels of empty land get built up--even if it's for a relatively bland 5-story apartment complex--so the remaining land in the CBD becomes more valuable, forcing future developers to build upwards.

I have to agree. They are not sexy, and extremely height challenged but It'll make for a more active downtown. 

Being young as I am I always wondered why they didn't build up, but I relaize why. There are still some blocks and lands left to build out and by all means people will build out instead of up.

So in all, I'm glad for the development. I may not see another tower get in Orlando for my lifetime (as it seems with these small projects but I'm over exaggerating)

Only skeptical about the Rida Development. I think that is a terrible project for that piece of land.  All the rest of them I Can deal with. 

If anything it'll look closer to the one in Atlanta:

skyhouse_atl1.jpg

Photo Courtesy of The Raleigh Connoisseur  July 5 2012

And this one in September. I don't think the finishes are all that bad in this photo.  Courtesy of oxblue1 on SkyScraper Page Forum e8a294e4.jpg

OMG that is the worst rendering I have ever seen!  :shok:

I hope they build a neighborhood market downtown for the North Quarter Residents.

Edited by CaptainJustice

It seems they have (again) gotten less ambitious with that lot. Of course, it started out as a 4 story bar with a spiral slide for express rooftop to ground floor transportation ... so it was bound to change. Slightly disappointed to see this down to 2 stories, though. :\

As for the Rida Development lot, I'm actually kind of happy to see it sort of back to a vague sketch. The last actual rendering was a blocky white facade structure that was not at all impressive. At least the watercolor image has a rounded edge or two. 

Definitely more of a rough sketch than an actual rendering, but at least the design seems to have changed from that bland Mediteranean looking crap they were showing.

Hate to see 30 S.Orange shrink to 2 stories too, & don't much like the addition of the balcony either. I liked the clean vertical look.

Was down by the Cambria Suites site for the tree lighting yesterday. That site looks so nice now, with those big, shady old oaks. I hope the footprint of the new building employs some type of interior courtyard that allows them to remain there. Even though they'll never be seen by anyone but the guests. 

They've put up Central Station banners on the wall that surrounds the site. Nice to see something actually representing progress with it.

^Do the banners include updated renderings?

They don't, but they include a generic logo. Not overly impressive, but anything that indicates that this project is actually happening is encouraging. Even if it ends up staying as a mid-rise project, i'm ok with that. The plans include groundfloor retail which the area desperately needs. Downtown lacks shopping options. Between Steel House, Skyhouse, The Sevens and now NORA, the Uptown/CBD will have over 1200 new units in just over 2 years time. Those people are going to want and need shopping options. I think they're doing it the right way- bring the people first, and the businesses will follow.

There have been discussions about it but it is not likely to happen soon. The old Greyhound station was also on Amelia on the other side of I4 where the parking garage is now (it was demolished as part of the original arena complex.)

Edited by spenser1058

There have been discussions about it but it is not likely to happen soon. The old Greyhound station was also on Amelia on the other side of I4 where the parking garage is now (it was demolished as part of the original arena complex.)

Ahh okay thanks. Whoa that must have been before I was born? I wonder what made them move it where it is now.

The old Greyhound station was also on Amelia on the other side of I4 where the parking garage is now (it was demolished as part of the original arena complex.)

I had forgotten completely about that & I had actually been in there a few times, dropping off or picking up people. It was right on the corner of Hughey & Amelia.

Ahh okay thanks. Whoa that must have been before I was born? I wonder what made them move it where it is now.

It wasn't that long ago. Late 80's - early 90's when it moved. The reason was because the city was building the new garage & Greyhound needed a bigger space anyway. I guess that was the closest spot they could get to downtown that met their space requirements.