Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The previous project would have been a challenge to execute even if the market did not collapse. They only way it would have worked is if the office rents were comparable to Downtown Miami and the condos sold for $400,000 and up. I dont like to talk ill of another mans work but I did not understand City Place to put it nicely. 
True dat. And honestly, I never held out much hope that that project would ever materialize. Sure was a nice rendering, though. Same with those "World Trade Center" towers up by Lake Ivanhoe.

I don't know how much (if anything) this development has to do with Ustler and Creative Village, but from what I understand, Ustler wants Creative Village to be very income-diverse.  He's planned for a while to use grants and other funding sources to allow for lower-income housing.  For that reason I think 1) the project fits into the future development of that area and 2) it will be fundable through grants.  

It's also important to remember what "affordable" housing actually means.  It's based on Area Median Income (AMI) (the City of Boulder has a good example).  I don't know how they'll do things for this building, but usually a certain percentages of units are market rate (100% AMI), low income (70% AMI), and very low income (50% AMI), which also makes it easier to fund.  

Depending on the area, it's not too hard to qualify for low income housing!  We just need more of it (for workers, students, etc.), but that's a topic for another day.

• Like 1

If the Creative Village comes to fruition the last thing the city would want is an eyesore in the periphery. Pathways for Parramore is supposed to signify revitalization, not offer more of the same. The property owners on streets from Amelia up through Colonial Dr  all have a vested interest in seeing the CV come to fruition and most want higher density - especially property owners with industial zoning. Land closest to I4 is zoned for taller buildings so it just seems wasteful not to do more with that property. I agree, downtown needs more income diversity but in the ideal world, affordable housing wouldn't be limited to Uptown or Parramore otherwise it defeats the purpose.

It is an affordable housing project by Atlantic Partners. Frankly, it would be stupid to do something higher density or nicer in that area. I am still trying to figure out how they will build at that density and make it affordable. 

^^City View offers affordable housing and is generally considered a success, so it can be done at that density via tax exempt bonds, low income tax credits, etc.

Edited by nite owℓ

Further, it is no where near the heart of Parramore, rather connected more with central station and the creative village. In general this is just a terrible location for housing so obviously a developer is going to market it as a low income project. Who would willingly live at such a terrible intersection. Your nearest and dearest neighbor is I4. Sounds like a developer ploy to cash in quickly on the apartment trend in Uptown while neither being in Uptown or representing the philosophy of appealing to a cross section of residents.

I think this lot us much more suited for office / hotel development.

Further, it is no where near the heart of Parramore, rather connected more with central station and the creative village. In general this is just a terrible location for housing so obviously a developer is going to market it as a low income project. Who would willingly live at such a terrible intersection. Your nearest and dearest neighbor is I4. Sounds like a developer ploy to cash in quickly on the apartment trend in Uptown while neither being in Uptown or representing the philosophy of appealing to a cross section of residents.

I dunno... it's no worse than the location of Steel House. The little back streets off of Hughey are not that bad & having an elevated I-4 across the street is no worse, & in many ways not as bad as, having Colonial Drive 10 feet from your front door or livingroom/bedroom window.

Edited by JFW657

Further, it is no where near the heart of Parramore, rather connected more with central station and the creative village.

Which is good, because you want to give lower income people access to future jobs and transportation.  Again, "affordable" doesn't mean poor/black/Parramore, but blue-collar/student/diverse-downtown.

http://www.atlantichousing.com

These guys have a lot of experience doing multi-family. If anything, it takes potential development from Creative Village. 

City View worked because $$$ went into it. At least $15 million. 

December's MPB has been posted. A residential/commercial complex is being planned for the lot behind the Lexington, near the Creative Village site. It will consist of 104 affordable housing units & commercial space:

attachicon.gifMap.jpgattachicon.gifApt.jpg

This is a huge scale-back from what was planned in 2006. The previous plans for that property were grandiose; consisting of 43-story and two 37-story residential buildings, a 14-story office building, a 6-story mixed use building and a parking garage:

attachicon.gifCity Place.jpg

Also on the December MPB is the 901 N. Magnolia Master Plan: "The applicant is requesting master plan approval for a 62-unit senior apartment complex with 3,578 SF of retail."  Interesting that they chose senior housing, with the Marks Street Senior Center across the street.

Edited by veryamusing

Also on the December MPB is the 901 N. Magnolia Master Plan: "The applicant is requesting master plan approval for a 62-unit senior apartment complex with 3,578 SF of retail."  Interesting that they chose senior housing, with the Marks Street Senior Center across the street.

And for this we gave up the Lunch Basket? *sigh* I want my meatloaf sandwich back!

Welcome to the board, veryamusing!

As much as many want Orlando to be the next Manhattan, I think Uptown and now North Creative Village is a good scale to bring in a huge residential population up closer to the CBD.  NORA, Sevens, Steel House and this really move Orlando in the right direction.  Not everyone wants to live in a Sky House.  It does make it more important that the I-4 overpass of 50 when it gets built takes pedestrian traffic seriously.  Also, would be nice to see a Gertrude's Walk / Urban Trail - SR 50 flyover.

There is a plan for a pedestrian bridge on the trail over colonial to connect the Urban Trail and Gertrude's Walk...no renderings but let me find the plan...here it is. Page 61 shows the green-dotted trail traveling over colonial (I read a pedestrian bridge elsewhere). http://www.cityoforlando.net/transportation/TransportationPlanningDiv/pdf/dtp_docs/DTP1106.pdf This is from 2006, but we've already seen progress with the new Urban Trail opening this year, and I remember them saying the eventual plan was to connect it to Gertrude's Walk. A bridge over colonial (like the Cady Way bridge over 436) is the only safe option.

There is a plan for a pedestrian bridge on the trail over colonial to connect the Urban Trail and Gertrude's Walk...no renderings but let me find the plan...here it is. Page 61 shows the green-dotted trail traveling over colonial (I read a pedestrian bridge elsewhere). http://www.cityoforlando.net/transportation/TransportationPlanningDiv/pdf/dtp_docs/DTP1106.pdf This is from 2006, but we've already seen progress with the new Urban Trail opening this year, and I remember them saying the eventual plan was to connect it to Gertrude's Walk. A bridge over colonial (like the Cady Way bridge over 436) is the only safe option.

A pedestrian bridge over Colonial would be a god-send. I run with a local running group, and one of our routes has us crossing Colonial at Summerlin, and then back at Hyer. It's always a hassle.

A pedestrian bridge over Colonial would be a god-send. I run with a local running group, and one of our routes has us crossing Colonial at Summerlin, and then back at Hyer. It's always a hassle.

Found more info - http://otowncycling.com/trails/item/199-orlando-urban-trail. There is a great PDF of the plan there, and it mentions the pedestrian bridge. I imagine that'll be pretty loud being right next to I-4, but the ground-level trail should be quieter. I'm really excited about the prospect of getting to ride bikes with my son to Magic games from College Park!

hTook.png

Edited by Joey Frenchfries