Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Someone bought the entire block at south downtown where Clarkie is located....does anybody know what is going to be built there?

I always figured that was owned by the Carusos (they own the Market at Southside and most of the industrial stuff behind Clarkie's, along with several other chunks of that area), so I'm stumped and a bit surprised.

I'm okay with that ;).

Gotta love that Wawa is a family/employee owned company (much like Publix) and takes pride in supporting their community. Way better than a random 7-11 or Hess Express. 

I'm not familiar with them, growing up in the South and all. But I appreciate the fact that they are building new stores in more established parts of the city (Crystal Lake/Curry Ford, East Colonial near Orlando Executive, etc.) rather than in new developments out in the 'burbs.

They are building everywhere.  I was curious as to whether or not they would build gas-less urban stores like the 7-11s we have downtown and after not hearing anything back from the company, I checked over on a Philly forum to see what had happened up there.  Unfortunately, it seems that they are trending away from stores that don't sell gass and aiming for more suburban locations.  Their forum made it sound uppity,  though I wouldn't use that to describe the areas that they have chosen to develop in so far here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/1743435-question-about-wawa.html

They are building everywhere.  I was curious as to whether or not they would build gas-less urban stores like the 7-11s we have downtown and after not hearing anything back from the company, I checked over on a Philly forum to see what had happened up there.  Unfortunately, it seems that they are trending away from stores that don't sell gass and aiming for more suburban locations.  Their forum made it sound uppity,  though I wouldn't use that to describe the areas that they have chosen to develop in so far here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/1743435-question-about-wawa.html

Steve, while the John Young location isn't in the best location, most of their locations are in nice enough areas: Sea World I-Drive, Baldwin Park, Colonial/Airport, Oviedo. They appear to be using the same real estate agency as Walgreens as most of their stores are next door. 

Ultimate goal is to open up one Wawa for about each publix. So just like Publix, you'll find them in good areas and bad areas. Keep in mind that most of the good plots of land have long been developed on!

I agree that a downtown Wawa would be nice ( and a better lunch choice than anything at those two 7-11s ), but there's a reason why most retailers don't want to touch our the limited accessible downtown. There are 3,969,000 people living in the area, and only 43,400 live downtown (1.09%) and only 65,000 people work downtown (1.63%).   Until Sunrail opens, and realistically until light-rail runs down to UCF and Altomonte, most of the 3.969 million Central Floridans are going to be traveling each day by car. If a retailer can open up stores within a 5 minute drive of radius of downtown they can easily collect customers going into work and leaving work and save a lot of money in high downtown rent fees.

Mass-Transit it the key, you need to have people ditch their cars, get off at a station and walk a few blocks to work each day. Do that, and we may finally have more than just bars downtown ;).

Edited by Suburb Mike

Steve, while the John Young location isn't in the best location, most of their locations are in nice enough areas: Sea World I-Drive, Baldwin Park, Colonial/Airport, Oviedo. They appear to be using the same real estate agency as Walgreens as most of their stores are next door. 

Ultimate goal is to open up one Wawa for about each publix. So just like Publix, you'll find them in good areas and bad areas. Keep in mind that most of the good plots of land have long been developed on!

I agree that a downtown Wawa would be nice ( and a better lunch choice than anything at those two 7-11s ), but there's a reason why most retailers don't want to touch our the limited accessible downtown. There are 3,969,000 people living in the area, and only 43,400 live downtown (1.09%) and only 65,000 people work downtown (1.63%).   Until Sunrail opens, and realistically until light-rail runs down to UCF and Altomonte, most of the 3.969 million Central Floridans are going to be traveling each day by car. If a retailer can open up stores within a 5 minute drive of radius of downtown they can easily collect customers going into work and leaving work and save a lot of money in high downtown rent fees.

Mass-Transit it the key, you need to have people ditch their cars, get off at a station and walk a few blocks to work each day. Do that, and we may finally have more than just bars downtown ;).

Wow, UCF as more students then people living downtown? And combined students/employees is more then the people working downtown? Didn't realize that, kind of blows my mind lol

Just reporting back from Philly.  I wasn't trying to insult your neck of the woods - but the way I read it from the Philly guys - with Wawa targeting uppity areas - I would have thought more along the lines of...well, I'm not even going to get into it.  But certainly not any of the locations they have built so far.   Maybe those Philly guys use the word loosely.

No need to slam downtown retail.  Wawa may "know better" but look at 7-11s investments in the urban area.  I don't think it's crazy to ask the retailer that is invading Central Florida if they plan on having one store to compete against the 3 7-11's without fill stations downtown.