Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I think a 7-Eleven on the corner of Central and Rosalind is close minded. That corner has potential for something more unique to bring life into the area. From living in 55W, yes, the business may bring traffic to the corner, but not necessarily a good sort of traffic. It seems to attract late night, obnoxious drunk sorts and is a target for panhandlers. The concentration of 7-Elevens within the downtown area is laughable. It's almost as bad as having Gino's #4, #7, #87, all within a block of each other.

There have been numerous attempts to do something unique with that space - from an art gallery, music lounge, etc. Unfortunately all attempts failed. While I'm happy to see new business, this 7-Eleven surge is a bit overwhelming... but hopefully their confidence in downtown will encourage other chains to return to the core. Hopefully more residential developments will break ground once DPAC finally opens. I think that might create a demand for more unique entertainment options.

And don't get me started on Gino's. Supposedly they deliver downtown, but they will claim Lake Eola is "too far".

Edited by nite owℓ

There have been numerous attempts to do something unique with that space - from an art gallery, music lounge, etc. Unfortunately all attempts failed. While I'm happy to see new business, this 7-Eleven surge is a bit overwhelming... but hopefully their confidence in downtown will encourage other chains to return to the core. Hopefully more residential developments will break ground once DPAC finally opens. I think that might create a demand for more unique entertainment options.

And don't get me started on Gino's. Supposedly they deliver downtown, but they will claim Lake Eola is "too far".

Unfortunately many of the failures in that space were due to the owner rejecting any long term leases.  I think he was still holding out for a major development.  

I'd prefer the W.

Speaking of the great 7-11pocalypse of downtown. I was recently told that another 7-11 will be going in at the corner of Fern Creek Ave. and Colonial where the old gas station that was converted into a lawnmower and scooter repair shop with the tiny convenient store was.

Edited by Ocityst

Yeah there are 7-11s popping up everywhere - including the Gore/Orange and Edgewater/Colonial locations.  Being more mindful of the downtown locations without fill pumps and limited to 0 parking, that signifiy a certain amount of business from pedestrian traffic, it's pretty crazy that we can't get "Insert your desired business here" while 7-11 is going crazy.

I guess it is a mirror of their traditional store saturation.  There are a few locations where you now have two on the same intersection.  The south side of Colonial at Econ. in east Orange County is one example.

Thhe Two Story McDonalds thing I'd die for. I've been waiting for something non-locally established to come downtown of the fast food sort for years. There is a burger king near by and the Wendy's got shut down.

Manny Garcia had a Burger King on Orange Ave. back in the late 80s I think it was, and before that there was a Royal Castle on Church St. (think a Florida version of White Castle for the non-natives.) - I do miss me some Birch Beer! Not sure why the mass burgeries have abandoned us - other Southern cities have had them downtown all along.

Someone mentioned Starbucks - and now that I think about it, it is odd that there isn't one in the core (aside from the one inside the Grand Bohemian).

My prediction (for what it's worth) is that fast food chains will begin to set up in the core following 7-11's lead, along with quasi-fast food outlets like Chipotle and Panera.

I have no inside information on this, just following my (ample) gut.

Orlando Sentinel: Forecasts bank on SunRail, Downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-forecast-real-estate-commercial-0114-20130113,0,6285488.story

Some relevant tidbits:

- SkyHouse to open "late this year"

- NORA to open with 246 units in spring of 2014

- Central Station to start construction in Q1 of this year

- The Sevens is scheduled for construction this fall

- Mills Park - "Work is expected to progress more quickly"

Surprisingly missing from this article is any mention of Creative Village

Someone mentioned Starbucks - and now that I think about it, it is odd that there isn't one in the core (aside from the one inside the Grand Bohemian).

My prediction (for what it's worth) is that fast food chains will begin to set up in the core following 7-11's lead, along with quasi-fast food outlets like Chipotle and Panera.

Don't forget the Starbucks in Thornton Park.

Each time I pass the Church Street Station building, I envision a two-story Starbucks on that end, with patio seating on the second floor and greeting SunRail riders inside for a cup of morning fuel. Their siren would look so nice affixed to the cylindrical portion of the building.

I did the same thing earlier in the thread about the locations of the downtown 7-11s. When I think downtown, I've stopped including Thornton Park and focused more on the core. I think this is because the core has grown so much in the past few years.

Downtown already suffers from being teeny in comparison to most cities (mainly because Orlando was relatively small until well after WWII), so I much prefer to place the eastern boundary at Summerlin or Hyer. After all, South Eola has more than a few highrises. But that's just me.

Each time I pass the Church Street Station building, I envision a two-story Starbucks on that end, with patio seating on the second floor and greeting SunRail riders inside for a cup of morning fuel. Their siren would look so nice affixed to the cylindrical portion of the building.

I think a Starbucks or other coffee place (Einsteins, please.) would work well there. I think the whole station will be retail.  I would like to see a card/gift shop and maybe a small clothing store with fowl-weather essentials.  I don't think there's enough square footage for a drugstore.

There is now a Barnie's inside City Arts Factory.  I also am surprised by the lack of coffeehouses in the CBD.   I've always thought a Dunkin Donuts or Einstein's would be a no brainer.  Someone picks up a box of joe and some donuts for our office at least once a week.  I've never seen or heard of anyone buying scones for their co-workers. 

There is now a Barnie's inside City Arts Factory.  I also am surprised by the lack of coffeehouses in the CBD.   I've always thought a Dunkin Donuts or Einstein's would be a no brainer.  Someone picks up a box of joe and some donuts for our office at least once a week.  I've never seen or heard of anyone buying scones for their co-workers. 

Has that Barnie's Coffee Kitchen finally opened?

Downtown already suffers from being teeny in comparison to most cities (mainly because Orlando was relatively small until well after WWII), so I much prefer to place the eastern boundary at Summerlin or Hyer. After all, South Eola has more than a few highrises. But that's just me.

The evolution of Central Ave over the last decade has brought legitimacy to a "wider" downtown.  With a near continuous streetwall along Central from Gertrude's Walk on the west end, to Summerlin on the east, we now have a healthy spine.  I'd really like to see Church Street "grow up" in South Eola in the same manner -- Capital Plaza III will help to that end, if it ever breaks ground.

• Like 1