Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

Each time I pass the Church Street Station building, I envision a two-story Starbucks on that end, with patio seating on the second floor and greeting SunRail riders inside for a cup of morning fuel. Their siren would look so nice affixed to the cylindrical portion of the building.

I think a Starbucks or other coffee place (Einsteins, please.) would work well there. I think the whole station will be retail.  I would like to see a card/gift shop and maybe a small clothing store with fowl-weather essentials.  I don't think there's enough square footage for a drugstore.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

There is now a Barnie's inside City Arts Factory.  I also am surprised by the lack of coffeehouses in the CBD.   I've always thought a Dunkin Donuts or Einstein's would be a no brainer.  Someone picks up a box of joe and some donuts for our office at least once a week.  I've never seen or heard of anyone buying scones for their co-workers. 

There is now a Barnie's inside City Arts Factory.  I also am surprised by the lack of coffeehouses in the CBD.   I've always thought a Dunkin Donuts or Einstein's would be a no brainer.  Someone picks up a box of joe and some donuts for our office at least once a week.  I've never seen or heard of anyone buying scones for their co-workers. 

Has that Barnie's Coffee Kitchen finally opened?

Downtown already suffers from being teeny in comparison to most cities (mainly because Orlando was relatively small until well after WWII), so I much prefer to place the eastern boundary at Summerlin or Hyer. After all, South Eola has more than a few highrises. But that's just me.

The evolution of Central Ave over the last decade has brought legitimacy to a "wider" downtown.  With a near continuous streetwall along Central from Gertrude's Walk on the west end, to Summerlin on the east, we now have a healthy spine.  I'd really like to see Church Street "grow up" in South Eola in the same manner -- Capital Plaza III will help to that end, if it ever breaks ground.

• Like 1

Alright guys, who is going to get us out-of-towners a much needed photo update of the construction around downtown?  It has been a while, and we have some progress going down!

1)  Dr Phillips Center

2) Steel House Apartments

3) NORA

4) SkyHouse

5) Lymmo Expansion progress

6) SunRail Station stops at Church Street and Lynx Central Station

7) Aloft?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but does anyone know what the status of the Monarch Tower and Montage projects is? The Monarch "sales office" always seems to be kept manicured, as if waiting to open. The Montage sign has been sitting on the corner of that lot for years and it seems the time is right for building an apartment tower in the area.

Alright guys, who is going to get us out-of-towners a much needed photo update of the construction around downtown?  It has been a while, and we have some progress going down!

1)  Dr Phillips Center

3) NORA

4) SkyHouse

7) Aloft?

I took a few pics of Church Street station for a recent blog post.  I'll be Downtown again this weekend to take some more pictures of the apartment buildings.

In the last picture, does the platform look too far from the tracks?  Edit: I guess it's just a walkway to the actual platform...

post-25309-0-50001600-1358445820_thumb.j

post-25309-0-28150000-1358445832_thumb.j

post-25309-0-07630000-1358445843_thumb.j

post-25309-0-34094200-1358445855_thumb.j

Edited by alex

1)  Dr Phillips Center

3) NORA

4) SkyHouse

7) Aloft?

I posted photos of Dr. Phillips and SkyHouse in their theads - here's Aloft.  It doesn't look like a lot has happened from the outside, but there are windows in (if I remember correctly, windows were out last time I looked.)

8390308726_e61bce28c3_z.jpg

I posted photos of Dr. Phillips and SkyHouse in their theads - here's Aloft.  It doesn't look like a lot has happened from the outside, but there are windows in (if I remember correctly, windows were out last time I looked.)

On New Year's Day they demo'd the concrete steps and planters around the front and back of the building.  That was the only activity I saw on the building in months.

Speaking of the great 7-11pocalypse of downtown. I was recently told that another 7-11 will be going in at the corner of Fern Creek Ave. and Colonial where the old gas station that was converted into a lawnmower and scooter repair shop with the tiny convenient store was.

NTDWO - Nothing to do with Orlando (or everything) but activists in the East Village are protesting what they're calling a "Metastization" of 7-11.  According to the article, the chain wants to open 100 locations across Manhattan by 2017  :)

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/17/east_village_activists_mobilize_to.php

• Like 1

I like that building & I'm glad it's gonna stay there, etc., but I cannot wrap my mind around it being a hotel.

It just looks like an office building in my mind.

I'd like to have seen them add some kind of exterior features, like maybe reflective glass panels running vertically up the middle of the side facing Orange Ave. above the entrance to sort of visually divide it into two halves. Maybe do something to the corners.

I'm looking forward to the grand opening. At first I was a little skeptical about a popsicle shop especially since "gourmet" seems to be a term thrown around pretty loosely these days (e.g. Jimmy John's). But after reading the reviews and visiting their FB page, I suddenly had a popsicle craving. Their website (http://thehyppo.com/kitchen.html) could use some work, but I love the fact that they try to source fresh and local ingredients. Will they offer a different menu for the winter? And I'm a little surprised (but thankful) that Dr Phillips wasn't the default location of choice.

Had a neighbor let me know about this discussion and thought I would poke my head in if you don't mind. We got our building permit approved today so we are just a few weeks from opening (finally!).

First I agree the website is bad but that is something that should be fixed shortly and it will look much better.

I'm glad you looked up our reviews to see we don't take our pop making lightly. There is real science to what we do and we take pride in our ability to flash freeze every flavor at the perfect temperature to avoid any iciness like you will find in pops sold elsewhere that are made in regular freezers. Think 15 minutes for a hard freeze compared to 6-8 hours in a regular freezer so the ice crystals line up and allow for a smooth flavor.

Almost all of our herbs and vegetables are grown in our own garden at our production facility and we source a large amount of our fruits from local farms. We could easily produce our pops with cheaper ingredients but the taste we strive for would not be possible.

In terms of menu it is constantly rotating based on seasonal availability. We did more creamy flavors like Elvis (PB, Honey, Banana (Also added a version of this with bacon in it that is mind blowing if I may brag a bit)) and Mexican Hot Chocolate compared to summer being a more fruit focused product so we make a few strawberry variations (plain, spicy, basil) and a lot with pineapple and other fruits. We do some like coconut throughout the year but the menu will update daily and feature 10-15 flavors in limited quantities.

As a UCF alum myself who lives in the Winter Park area we didn't give much thought to starting on that side of town. We have some plans for additional spots throughout the region but we feel pops are great walkable food and being near Lake Eola seemed like the perfect first spot for us.

Hope you all don't mind me rambling on here. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them and hope to have you all stop by once we get open.

• Like 1