Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Random: I was looking at Genesis Studios's facebook page and came across this rendering with this title:

"One from our own backyard. This one is a watercolor of Downtown Orlando for Baker Barrios Architects."

576334_10151374970919283_505899490_n.jpg

Is this from a past project?

Looks like the Dolive redevelopment? Not sure.

Edit: Nope. That was this:

Dolive_imageone.jpg

Edited by castorvx

Random: I was looking at Genesis Studios's facebook page and came across this rendering with this title:

"One from our own backyard. This one is a watercolor of Downtown Orlando for Baker Barrios Architects."

576334_10151374970919283_505899490_n.jpg

Is this from a past project?

Capital Plaza

Louisville, KY http://www.bisigimpact.com/barrister/03_projects_03.html

This is the first I've heard of this downtown leader group. I was surprised to read that Ustler has been a skeptic of downtown retail, though, considering a good number of the successful retail spots are in his projects in Thornton Park and Uptown.

'Orlando 2.0' leaders want more entertainment, shopping downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orlando-group-20130127,0,3447083.story

This is the first I've heard of this downtown leader group. I was surprised to read that Ustler has been a skeptic of downtown retail, though, considering a good number of the successful retail spots are in his projects in Thornton Park and Uptown.

'Orlando 2.0' leaders want more entertainment, shopping downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orlando-group-20130127,0,3447083.story

There is so much wrong here that it would require a rant I promised not to do, which would go on for pages. Instead let me just say "grrrrrr" and sigh loudly and hope for better days.

Ustler fills his buildings with his own restaurants (Citrus, Hue, Cityfish). I think he is committed to making urbanism work and nurtures things like street life and activity. He provides the restaurants almost as a building amenity like a pool or gym for condo buyers and office tenants.  He's playing the long game, and his holdings are diversified, so day to day performance of his restaurants isn't as much of a concern as the success of the building/neighborhood. Ustler is also providing space for other dining options to succeed - not holding a monopoly on his ground floor spaces. 

• Like 1

Trinity Lutheran Church has an item on the City Council meeting agenda for today.  This church is in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood but borders the CBD  at Livingston & Magnolia.

Applicant proposes:

Phase I:

- Relocation of historic homes in 2013/2014

- New child development center with 320 student capacity in 2013/2014

Phase II:

Elementary and Middle School expansion with construction occuring in 2015

Phase II: New "Trinity Center" wiht a 120 unit senior housing center, a restaurant, offices and parking garage, with construction occuring in 2018

Phase IV: New auditorium constructed in 2022

The mixed use center (assumed Phase III) will be permitted a maximimum height of 90 ft. and is proposed along Magnolia Avenue

Here are some development plans:

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15643&ItemID=16700

Trinity Lutheran Church has an item on the City Council meeting agenda for today.  This church is in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood but borders the CBD  at Livingston & Magnolia.

Applicant proposes:

Phase I:

- Relocation of historic homes in 2013/2014

- New child development center with 320 student capacity in 2013/2014

Phase II:

Elementary and Middle School expansion with construction occuring in 2015

Phase II: New "Trinity Center" wiht a 120 unit senior housing center, a restaurant, offices and parking garage, with construction occuring in 2018

Phase IV: New auditorium constructed in 2022

The mixed use center (assumed Phase III) will be permitted a maximimum height of 90 ft. and is proposed along Magnolia Avenue

Here are some development plans:

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15643&ItemID=16700

Thanks for this - I had posted about it some time ago and then it sort of disappeared. I wondered where it went. It could be good for that area although I am concerned about historic houses being zapped - there are a couple of really interesting areas secreted away in that vicinity.

Orlando may build new police headquarters

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-new-orlando-police-headquarters-20130204,0,2725913.story

Looks like this is back on the front burner again. I hate to see police HQ moving so far west but if it gets a significant project going with the Magic (with a requirement for actual RETAIL if the City is putting money into it), so be it.

I think the move west is a good one... a good step towards revitalizing the area around the Citrus Bowl.

If it's where I think it is, it's the old Holden Heights Elementary, which is on the east side of OBT, so really won't do a lot for the Citrus Bowl. You could make the case it would improve OBT. I'm not sure how much the Sheriff's Office has done for West Colonial but I guess any love is a good thing. I just hate to give up the density of a new police headquarters but, if they're going to do a lot of surface parking like OCSO has, you may be right that it's better off elsewhere.

and in a single swift move west downtown is changed. :good:

I thought that the new police HQ was planned to go on the property where the cooling station at Division and Anderson as a part of the Safety Complex. 

I agree that I hope Pine is extended through.

The Magic buying this property would explain the delay in the announcement as they would need extra time to figure out a plan for the police.

What is going into the parking lot that is under I-4 when the road is remodeled?  I feel like that area should be designed as a part of this project.  It's key to connecting this area to the east side. 

Also when will the Wells Built addition and remodel happen? With all this growth on the west side I feel like it's time that project kicked into high gear.  A couple of good museums would be nice on the west side. 

And what about the Church Street Trolley that was long proposed? 

All of this should be a part of the project plan IMO.