Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

Too bad that they can't bury it... Orlando's BIG DIG.

Sadly, we don't have elected leaders in town with the clout of Tip O'Neill and Ted Kennedy to pull that one off. Oh, if only...

Of course, one has to be careful what one wishes for. It was Martin Andersen (the godfather of most of Orlando's growth after WWII) whose clout led to I4 running through downtown in the first place. 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

^What were the other options?

Of course, the exact route moved several times before it was finally constructed (most famously because of ever-contentious WP managing to hold off a route much closer to Denning Drive because it would take out what was then an almost-new state office building; the law they got passed moving the road west was later used by Edgewood to derail OOCEA's Central Connector that would have provided a direct link between downtown  and OIA, but I digress.)

I am not sure of the exact route as originally proposed but it would have been several miles west, not unlike the way I4 currently skirts Lakeland and Winter Haven.

An interesting side note which I think was noted in Rick Foglesong's "Married To the Mouse:" the Florida Turnpike did not have an I4 exit and it was a last minute addition after WDW was announced (which also explains the pitifully inadequate interchange there.)

Random: I was looking at Genesis Studios's facebook page and came across this rendering with this title:

"One from our own backyard. This one is a watercolor of Downtown Orlando for Baker Barrios Architects."

576334_10151374970919283_505899490_n.jpg

Is this from a past project?

Random: I was looking at Genesis Studios's facebook page and came across this rendering with this title:

"One from our own backyard. This one is a watercolor of Downtown Orlando for Baker Barrios Architects."

Looks like the Dolive redevelopment? Not sure.

Edit: Nope. That was this:

Dolive_imageone.jpg

Edited by castorvx

Capital Plaza

Louisville, KY http://www.bisigimpact.com/barrister/03_projects_03.html

Does anybody know of anything happening, apartment wise, on any of the vacant lots in South Eola? The new construction seems to be on the north side of Orange and it seems like now would be a perfect time for some of those long considered apartments in South Eola.

Thanks!

Is this even going to happen?

This is the first I've heard of this downtown leader group. I was surprised to read that Ustler has been a skeptic of downtown retail, though, considering a good number of the successful retail spots are in his projects in Thornton Park and Uptown.

'Orlando 2.0' leaders want more entertainment, shopping downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orlando-group-20130127,0,3447083.story

This is the first I've heard of this downtown leader group. I was surprised to read that Ustler has been a skeptic of downtown retail, though, considering a good number of the successful retail spots are in his projects in Thornton Park and Uptown.

'Orlando 2.0' leaders want more entertainment, shopping downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orlando-group-20130127,0,3447083.story

There is so much wrong here that it would require a rant I promised not to do, which would go on for pages. Instead let me just say "grrrrrr" and sigh loudly and hope for better days.

Ustler fills his buildings with his own restaurants (Citrus, Hue, Cityfish). I think he is committed to making urbanism work and nurtures things like street life and activity. He provides the restaurants almost as a building amenity like a pool or gym for condo buyers and office tenants.  He's playing the long game, and his holdings are diversified, so day to day performance of his restaurants isn't as much of a concern as the success of the building/neighborhood. Ustler is also providing space for other dining options to succeed - not holding a monopoly on his ground floor spaces. 

• Like 1

Trinity Lutheran Church has an item on the City Council meeting agenda for today.  This church is in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood but borders the CBD  at Livingston & Magnolia.

Applicant proposes:

Phase I:

- Relocation of historic homes in 2013/2014

- New child development center with 320 student capacity in 2013/2014

Phase II:

Elementary and Middle School expansion with construction occuring in 2015

Phase II: New "Trinity Center" wiht a 120 unit senior housing center, a restaurant, offices and parking garage, with construction occuring in 2018

Phase IV: New auditorium constructed in 2022

The mixed use center (assumed Phase III) will be permitted a maximimum height of 90 ft. and is proposed along Magnolia Avenue

Here are some development plans:

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15643&ItemID=16700

Trinity Lutheran Church has an item on the City Council meeting agenda for today.  This church is in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood but borders the CBD  at Livingston & Magnolia.

Applicant proposes:

Phase I:

- Relocation of historic homes in 2013/2014

- New child development center with 320 student capacity in 2013/2014

Phase II:

Elementary and Middle School expansion with construction occuring in 2015

Phase II: New "Trinity Center" wiht a 120 unit senior housing center, a restaurant, offices and parking garage, with construction occuring in 2018

Phase IV: New auditorium constructed in 2022

The mixed use center (assumed Phase III) will be permitted a maximimum height of 90 ft. and is proposed along Magnolia Avenue

Here are some development plans:

http://orlandopublic.novusagenda.com/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=15643&ItemID=16700

Thanks for this - I had posted about it some time ago and then it sort of disappeared. I wondered where it went. It could be good for that area although I am concerned about historic houses being zapped - there are a couple of really interesting areas secreted away in that vicinity.