Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

a very nice drive. you can see Contemporary a couple miles or so north of that Disney exit they put in. THe I-4 interchange with 429 is coming along nicely. when that opens up, it will get much busier.

It is nice to see roads built before the need is there.....certainly will help future traffic flow....

After reading this article I feel Like Orlando is light years behind in mass transportation. Charlotte seems to really have their crap together...

Article

I see your point. But Miami and Atlanta are in the same relative transit category/timeline based on the similar ages of their systems. they are big cities. CHarlotte is denser and more compact than ORL. ORL can save itself from waiting decades for similar density if the Commuter Rail gets passed this time and we get phase 1 by 2009. otherwise, as the Greeks say, "xese mesa." I don't know what the exact translation is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick question to anyone who lives downtown. there are tons of renovations around my neighborhood (lake lawsona historic district), and i've gotten a flat tire every month this year because of nails! has anyone else had to deal with this from the downtown construction?

i'm not too bummed out because goodyear on bumby gives insurance with its tires, but i'm just curious if i have really bad luck or this is commonplace...

• 2 weeks later...

The support beam for the 408-I4 interchange is so tall almost 1/4 of Suntrust height. It is sad to see that our highway get higher and higher, while other cities such as Boston, St Louis, Atlanta, Miami are trying to bury their highway undergound and keep it out of sight.

The support beam for the 408-I4 interchange is so tall almost 1/4 of Suntrust height. It is sad to see that our highway get higher and higher, while other cities such as Boston, St Louis, Atlanta, Miami are trying to bury their highway undergound and keep it out of sight.

Miami?

Miami is hoping for this. I like Miami and would like to see something like this, but the article states that it could cut funding for I-4, so let's hope they don't figure out the funding for our sake.

County hoping to bridge its gap in tunnel funding

Miami-Dade commissioners may have to dig deep to find the political will to fund a $1 billion tunnel that would help ease traffic congestion in downtown Miami.

It's a nice idea, but for the most part our soil and ground water table make it prohibitively expensive. Not that it can't be done, but what would they do with the interstate in the meantime? They can't tunnel underneath, the soil and the road above would collapse.

A BILLION dollars a mile...for a 4 lane road...

Edited by neon9

Sunshine's talking about the stretch that separates the PAC from DT.

As for I-4, I thought the funding to widen it has already been set aside... there I go assuming things again.

I think that article is talking about an east-west tunnel from the Port to I-95 to clean up the new Biscane corridor. Everything from the Port currently dumps onto Biscane right in front of the Wall of Miami I believe.

I think that article is talking about an east-west tunnel from the Port to I-95 to clean up the new Biscane corridor. Everything from the Port currently dumps onto Biscane right in front of the Wall of Miami I believe.

To be technical, the tunnel wouldn't go from the Port to I-95 but from the Port to I-395 (MacArthur Causeway).

Im a newbee to Orlando (having moved here from MI in april). Have a question that has probably been posted here somewhere so if it has please send me in the right direction. What is up with 408 (west of I-4). Is it eventually going to be 4 lanes both ways. Having traveled on it it looks like it could be at least that up to lake underhill. I do have to say this city is growing like crazy!

Let me know, and this forum rocks!

Im a newbee to Orlando (having moved here from MI in april). Have a question that has probably been posted here somewhere so if it has please send me in the right direction. What is up with 408 (west of I-4). Is it eventually going to be 4 lanes both ways. Having traveled on it it looks like it could be at least that up to lake underhill. I do have to say this city is growing like crazy!

Let me know, and this forum rocks!

OCEA east-west link

The new I-4 lanes are open going over John Young, westbound.

This stretch of road is only 3 lanes wide.

Who the hell designs this garbage?

I don't know, but it just seems as though there was not forethought into the building of the overpass. Had they actually built that fourth lane over JYP, I-4 would be a continuous stretch of 8-lane highway from 408 to Kirkman (which is necessary considering the development along this corridor). Are they not going to construct additional lanes in the future? If so, why put-off till tomorrow what can be done today? It just seems as though they went terribly out of the way just to build a single off-ramp.

Edited by dpalum

I don't know, but it just seems as though there was not forethought into the building of the overpass. Had they actually built that fourth lane over JYP, I-4 would be a continuous stretch of 8-lane highway from 408 to Kirkman (which is necessary considering the development along this corridor). Are they not going to construct additional lanes in the future? If so, why put-off till tomorrow what can be done today? It just seems as though they went terribly out of the way just to build a single off-ramp.

I thought I-4 was supposed to have 4 lanes in each direction over JYP. Does anyone have a design link? Also, does anyone have a design link for the new Rosalind Ave. off ramp from the East-West?