Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The video was very interesting.  There's a lot of great things to be optimistic about regarding it, but as Hamlet just said, there will be a lot more development, a continued influx of people, and as much relief as these new lanes provide us, it will not last.  I really wish this money would have been spent on giving us a world-class rail system, though I do like the pedestrian overpass in Maitland and what I saw for making pedestrian traffic under I-4 downtown easier and safer.  

Orlando is really missing the boat on this one, in my opinion.  

I have several beefs regarding the transportation issue in Orlando.  It frustrates me to begin with that Orlando, being a newer city missed out on the Federal Interstate Highway Act of 1956, but as we grew our representatives should have kept this in mind in getting Orlando its fair share for transportation funding.  I don't know of a city in this country the size of Orlando that does not have a free north and south freeway through its core.  I look at cities like Louisville KY, Charlotte NC, St. Louis MO and even Jacksonville FL that all have free interstates, beltways galore and we're clogged with tolls. I am not opposed to tolls but the cost allocated for transportation throughout the country should be more equitable.

I think the first step to address the traffic situation is to encourage alternative routes but our toll system forces people to take I4.  Theoretically the toll should be on I4 and taken off the 408, 417, 529, etc.  The only thing I don't like about this is that it would encourage more people to live out in the burbs, but with the I4 toll it would encourage more use of Sunrail.  Eliminating the toll on the 408 would also reduce the traffic load on Colonial (Don't get me going on the 5 minute stoplight wait for a pedestrian to cross Colonial--no wonder people are struck jaywalking).

Personally, I walk and run more miles a year than I drive and have the opportunity to stare at the parking lot on I4 everyday, so traffic isn't a direct concern for me.  I just don't like the transportation planning this city has done or the mentality of people having to use their car for everything.  I do appreciate the comment I read about people not understanding the true cost of driving (how much per mile do we spend on vehicle, insurance, maintenance, gas, gas taxes,tolls and federal taxes subsidizing roads outside of the gas taxes?) and how this compares to the investment in mass transit.  I also wish everyone would have the opportunity to experience travel in Europe and see how backward and wasteful our nation is for moving its people.

• Like 1

Remember the historic (abandoned) mission-style church on the corner of Cathcart/Ridgewood? Thankfully, March's HPB agenda reveals the building will receive new life. After years of intentional neglect and repeated attempts to demolish the structure, the Diocese of Orlando finally decided to do the right thing and save the structure. Plans call to gut the entire termite/wood rot ridden interior, and repurpose the space into 5 townhomes with rooftop terraces. The front stairs will only serve one unit while the first floor will serve as a parking garage with entryways for the remaining 4 units.

I love creative projects like this. The only con I can think of is the traffic deadlock on Ridgewood caused by parents whose children attend St James. It's pretty bad. Hopefully they'll keep the entrance to the garage clear.

post-26482-0-39014800-1362981069_thumb.jpost-26482-0-87809500-1362977896_thumb.j

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

This will certainly be one of the more unique condo buildings in Orlando.  A couple months ago we had a discussion here that Orlando is lacking in non-highrise and midrise condos (brownstones, townhomes, etc).  This is a great example of reuse and I imagine this type of condo unit is going to be very popular.  If we get a dozen more of these around Thornton Park / Lake Eola then I think we'd start to see more and more people take an interest in downtown living.  Most people do not want to live in a large condo building but many of those same people want to live in proximity to downtown.  I hope Orlando starts to cater to this group of individuals.

The Crane Has Returned As "Downtown's Bird"

A quick recap of construction downtown. 

I was a little skeptical about Cambria Suites Hotel being on the "construction list", considering plans were delayed and the property is being used as a parking lot. I came across a rendering I have never seen before and it seems they *may* have upgraded their plans for the site in a big way. Out of respect for the company I won't post the pic, but I will say it has somewhat of a "Sevens" office-style flavor going on and the structure appears to be around 21 stories. I'm hoping it's not a concept rendering or something along those lines.

Edited by nite owℓ

Just looked at those HPB notes and saw that there is a plan for a second video board at the plaza? Unless they are approving it retroactively which I've seen happen before...

Also plans to construct a single family home at 1 N Orange? That has to be an error

Just looked at those HPB notes and saw that there is a plan for a second video board at the plaza? Unless they are approving it retroactively which I've seen happen before...

Also plans to construct a single family home at 1 N Orange? That has to be an error

I think 1 N Orange was a Major Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a new entrance to the building on East Central Avenue and restore the entrance on Orange Avenue.

I think that we need more fluff around the downtown area. A good friend of mine, Bryan Mulvaney, whose family owns the Harp and Kelt was talking about partnering up and renovating the church street station and turning it into a Bavarian beers place. I love the construction in that old building. Wish I could have bought the train and turned it into a little restaurant  I own the Computer Repair Shop in Downtown Orlando near Ember called XpressFix Smartphone, iPhone, and iPad Repair. We an old storage area in the corner of the parking garage into a retail space. Come by if you're ever near!
Edited by chasealley

I found a couple new places (or about to be) while walking downtown this morning.

On Magnolia across from the post office, there is a new restaurant called La Strada that appeared to be open.  http://www.lastradausa.net.

In the same building, there will be a place called Mandy's Pastry Shop.  http://www.facebook.com/mandyspastryshoppe

I think someone may have mentioned already, but there appears to be a french bakery going into the east side of The Plaza as well.  

Hello all, I would like to become active again here on UP Orlando. I feel like developments will start springing up soon and I need to recap whats been going on the last 6 years. I was very active on here from 2004 to 2007 and than the stall out in the economy happened and I lost interest in this forum.

Hello all, I would like to become active again here on UP Orlando. I feel like developments will start springing up soon and I need to recap whats been going on the last 6 years. I was very active on here from 2004 to 2007 and than the stall out in the economy happened and I lost interest in this forum.

Hello and welcome back!! In my last article in my blog shown in my signature will bring you a bit up to date of all the construction going on in the downtown area. I'm sure you can see how active this forum is now with all the development going on, hopefully this boom will have a good stretch. 

• Like 2