Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Also took a look when I walked by during Spring Fiesta.  Excited to have you guys open.  Post looked like they were renovating their leasing office too.

Any word on your neighbors, WOB - and when they are opening?  

Glad to have Central doing so well.   It should be even better once Lymmo starts rolling.

Yes as mentioned above the leasing office was flooded out by a tenant above them so they have to redo pretty much everything because of potential mold issues. Luckily for us it didn't get into our space.

I know WOB finally got permitted for the outdoor space but not sure about the actual restaurant inside yet. I can't imagine they would be open before end of May or June.

The DOP's 2012 Golden Brick Award luncheon was today.

Jennifer Quigley of WBQ Design & Engineering was named Downtowner of the Year, largely for her community work in the arts with the City and the County and for spearheading SEE Art Orlando.  Congrats Jennifer!

Awards of Excellence went to Mad Cow Theatre for their new home at 54 West Church Street, the Federal Building & Courthouse renovations and the Orlando Magic for the NBA All-Star Weekend.  14 Golden Bricks were awarded and there were 4 Silver bricks.

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1466704@N25/pool/interesting/

If OKC can get something like that, how can Orlando have nothing current or planned that is close to the Devon Tower? I know about the FAA restrictions, but they really couldnt work something out?

I just moved back to Orlando after spending 2 years in Tulsa.  Don't be jealous of the Devon Tower.  It's really too high for OKC.  I love urbanism and skyscrapers and think that there's nothing better, but it is simply SO tall compared to the rest of OKC that it doesn't look right.  It is 14 stories and almost 350 feet taller than the next highest building.  Imagine putting 55 West on TOP of The Vue, and leaving the rest of downtown the same.  That's basically what it looks like.

With that said, I do miss the walk up Boston Ave in Tulsa leading to the BOK tower (A half size-WTC building)

I just moved back to Orlando after spending 2 years in Tulsa.  Don't be jealous of the Devon Tower.  It's really too high for OKC.  I love urbanism and skyscrapers and think that there's nothing better, but it is simply SO tall compared to the rest of OKC that it doesn't look right.  It is 14 stories and almost 350 feet taller than the next highest building.  Imagine putting 55 West on TOP of The Vue, and leaving the rest of downtown the same.  That's basically what it looks like.

Meh, I think I'm just gonna go ahead & be jealous of it.

Good looking building.

It looks a little ridiculous being so much taller. 

The FAA doesn't stop building heights as much as the market does. OKC has more money locally. More corporate money, more money for big buildings. 

I think that may have a lot to do with those cities being the only urban areas in the state. Everything corporate HQ-wise has to be located in two relatively small areas.

They probably don't have suburban office parks like Orlando does, either. Hence, the higher & denser concentration of high rise buildings. Without places like Maitland Center & Heathrow, we'd probably have a more impressive looking downtown too.

It's a great looking building -in a "meh" of a downtown. Both OKC and Tulsa have some great downtown architecture, but they're short on vibrancy.

So, IOW, they're both a couple of "Jacksonvilles"...? :lol:

• Like 1

Magic will be presenting their plan for the entertainment complex to City Council tomorrow morning. It should be streamed and then stored online tomorrow. Until then, an article of mostly nothing new from the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/os-orlando-magic-building-20130421,0,1024542.story

• Like 1

So, IOW, they're both a couple of "Jacksonvilles"...? :lol:

Lol. Somewhat.

Tulsa and OKC have some great architecture and great features to their downtowns. But I think a big reason that their downtowns struggle with vibrancy is that there is a huge disconnect between the downtown areas and the surrounding neighborhoods. They are bisected by major highways and railways. The CBDs in both cities are standalone areas. There really aren't "downtown" neighborhoods...which we take for granted in our neck of the woods.

I find the lack of details from the Magic... peculiar. In the OBJ report, they had no specifics on anything - type of hotel (luxury versus business), type of venues, inclusion of residential, etc. It doesn't appear that anyone with the organization has explored what would succeed in the area. That hardly sounds like a venture I would want to get on board with.

I've been wondering why they keep referring to it as an entertainment district when all they keep talking about is an office building, a hotel, a parking garage and possible residences. I was hoping today that we would hear about what it is that will make this project entertaining.

• Like 1

Seriously. What is so entertaining about an office building? Certainly the Magic would like to move their offices there, but how much space do they need? Seems like they could design some sort of multi-purpose building that would house mainly entertainment based businesses with maybe an upper floor or two devoted to their corporate office needs.

I would like to see something similar to what they tried to do with the Church Street Exchange, only without the 1890's architectural theme. A multi story, indoor "mall" of sorts with retail, restaurants, bars, game arcades etc., done in a sleek, splashy, colorful, ultra modern architectural style that compliments the Amway Center. Lots of neon.

I also think it would be cool to have some sort of permanent, outdoor live performance stage where bands could perform during games & special events, etc. too. Kinda like the one they use for musical guests on Jimmy Kimmel.

And giant HD video screens everywhere so people who weren't inside for the game could watch while they were partying.

Thought it was interesting that in the OBJ article that the city (I believe it was Dyer) said that downtown didn't need any more "after 10 p.m." venues and that the Magic should look into attracting families downtown. The emphasis was that the Magic need to help diversify the downtown scene.

I think that's sage advice. Can downtown support many more bars and night clubs? How many restaurants do we need? And will these types of amenities draw new clientele to downtown, or only cannibalize the current customer base?

• Like 1

Thought it was interesting that in the OBJ article that the city (I believe it was Dyer) said that downtown didn't need any more "after 10 p.m." venues and that the Magic should look into attracting families downtown. The emphasis was that the Magic need to help diversify the downtown scene.

I think that's sage advice. Can downtown support many more bars and night clubs? How many restaurants do we need? And will these types of amenities draw new clientele to downtown, or only cannibalize the current customer base?

Good question about cannibalization...I think that is definitely the case with new bars, however I would say that we could use a few more good restaurants. We have a lot of mediocre ones and only a few standouts downtown.