Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Btw, Beth's Burger Bar, Pine 22, Gringos Locos, Frank & Steins, Jersey Mikes, Five Guys, Rusty Spoon, Urban Flats, Ginos, Fratellis, and Hamburger Marys are ALL good places to grab food and are ALL located in the CBD. I'm not sure exactly as to how there's a perceived shortage of restaurants in downtown. Put on your shoes and walk! We have good places here. Could we use more? I think we could, but I definitely don't think there's a shortage of restaurants.

Now, does Uptown Orlando need more places to eat? Currently, we have four and absolutely nowhere to shop. 

Strike Gino's from that list!  They closed a couple of weeks ago, but there's another pizza place going into the space.

Why are there so many 7-11 in downtown? Another one is being built.

Are you referring to the 7-eleven on the corner of Rosalind/Central? Or is there another one coming??

Strike Gino's from that list!  They closed a couple of weeks ago, but there's another pizza place going into the space.

Very strange - have the other locations closed? Their website states they were forced the 120 S. Orange Ave location due to circumstances beyond their control but they will open in a new location. I wonder if the landlord raised the rent?

There are enough 7 freaking Elevens. Good lord, almighty. Can we please maybe get a Dunkin Donuts??

Gotta agree re: Dunkin Donuts.

But if there were more independant convenience stores, 7 Eleven probably wouldn't be opening so many new locations.

Downtown needs more pop-in-pop-out, grab-n-go stores. If they say 7 Eleven on the front, so be it.

I just want to be able to grab a dog & a soda or a cup of coffee quick & cheap & don't much care who fills that need.

Seems like if the market for that type of retail ever materializes, they could always knock out some walls & convert some of the ground floor apts. to retail.

It's not like the place is built of STEEL or anything....

Nyerk nyerk!!! :D

This turned out to be a decent gateway building for the Uptown district:

steelhousehp.jpg

steelhousehp2.jpg

Pretty good looking place. :thumbsup:

Can't blame them for not taking the risk - Camden, across the street, ended up converting retail to apartments if I remember correctly

Exactly, ground floor retail is not going to work in this area. If it were a Walgreens in a location like that it would also need to have a parking lot.

Anybody knows what they are going to do with the new park land at Lake Eola Park? Any site plant?

Nothing. It's supposed to be an open field. I think it was a great idea because that area really opens up the corner of the park and makes it big enough to host a concert if they wanted to. And those two huge oaks are absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 3

That sounds cool.

A couple of friends of mine did some design work on the renovation back in the early 90's, right after it closed as The Plaza Movie Theater.

Glad to hear it's going to stick around as an entertainment venue.

Kinda livens that area up.

Re, Cresent...

Are those retails underneath the garage or more apartments?

Recently found this vid of a project that an old friend manages in Belgium. This would be a regional destination if it were built where the RIDA block is located. We can dream though, right?

Edited by mrh3
  • Like 1

I went on a tour of the new Aloft this morning.  It's going to be a great addition to Downtown, and they are on track to achieve LEED GOLD certification.

They have fewer than 150 rooms on 7 floors, with ground floor amenities and basement meeting space.

There is some convention/meeting space in the basement (about 40k sqft in 3 sections), half the rooms are conference suites and they'll be priced slightly higher than standard rooms. 

8803537150_f68191376f_c.jpg

Spacious hallways with housekeeping and engineering closets on each floor.

8792649445_0215a2e89e_c.jpg

This room on the NE corner of the building has 7 floor to ceiling windows.

8792745915_b81bb4653d_c.jpg

View of DPAC from the 4th Floor

8792729609_6c52d1de71_c.jpg

The sample room they have set up.  Finishes aren't final - it will be dark wood.

8792798723_433ec98cbb_c.jpg

In the basement - this will be a grand staircase that opens to the first floor.

8803388334_a5ef8b7dd7_c.jpg

2500+/- Sq Ft Meeting space

8803405956_84348d185b_c.jpg

Basement Ceiling - preserving the original waffle concrete. 

8803420336_babb54cf46_c.jpg

Front Patio - this will be the pool area - looking SE from main entrance.

8803437186_7b47c23ca9_c.jpg

Front Patio - this will be a tiered seating area - looking NE from main entrance. 

8803450260_3aa6a28c37_c.jpg

Bar area. They'll have apps and shareables, but no full kitchen. During the day, there is a grab-n-go area.

8803463556_ae2034c8f3_c.jpg

Old Staircase.

8803506056_e947dbaa97_c.jpg

Back side of the building, facing new OUC drop-off loop.

8792955651_1fc4587bbc_c.jpg

View East along Anderson from back corner of the building.

• Like 2

Great update, thank you!  This is a fantastic reuse of space, it'll really add some vibrancy to a dull corner of downtown at the moment.  I especially like the curb interaction -- outdoor patio / bar space and pool.

My major concern here is that Orange / Anderson is about as unpedestrian as it gets in terms of walkability.  Hopefully the city can put in some traffic calming elements here that will make it more safe to cross the intersection.  The traffic really speeds up on Orange right after the Orange / South St intersection.

Edited by prahaboheme