Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

When do they expect to be open? I'm getting married in March and we are checking out the historic inn at Lucerne as a venue. I figured Embassy Suites would be the overflow hotel for people to stay in but this would be a little closer

When do they expect to be open? I'm getting married in March and we are checking out the historic inn at Lucerne as a venue. I figured Embassy Suites would be the overflow hotel for people to stay in but this would be a little closer

They say they'll be open this fall, but you know how these projects go.  I'd think it would definitely be before your wedding.  They mentioned that they are already booking wedding overflow from Lucerne.  I will PM you info for their sales director.

For those that don't come down this way often the patio expansion to the Post building is underway. Looks like it ramped up big time today, there was like 10 work trucks in the loop today when I came into work. I would expect that to be 2-3 months to finish based on how slow the city is on things. World of Beer should be not far behind that but as far as I know still haven't even submitted plans to the city.

Marie-France space already being reworked into a new boutique which should open real soon and same thing with Altamoda space. By fall/winter this area should be great being completely full plus the new patio and art installation. Oh and the Post building itself is being completely repainted so that will help.

Looks like even more great progress has been made on SkyHouse Apartments- A sign states they are now pre-leasing. How soon before they begin leasing new tenants. That's what I'm most intrigued by--- Whether or not viable tentants to bring traffic to this area are going to take the gamble. It's in a great location, really. 

While out for a run Tuesday night, I saw a sign for what looks like a 3 to 4 story townhome/condo project for the empty lot on the southwest corner of Mills and South. Anyone know about that one?

it is a townhouse project..that u buy the land with the plans that are already approved by the city

Looks like even more great progress has been made on SkyHouse Apartments- A sign states they are now pre-leasing. How soon before they begin leasing new tenants. That's what I'm most intrigued by--- Whether or not viable tentants to bring traffic to this area are going to take the gamble. It's in a great location, really.

A few pics while I was running today.

image_zpsfbaa41cc.jpg

image_zpsd107e3d2.jpg

Edited by FLClarkKent

Are the approval plans on file with the city?  I couldn't find them through a quick search.

I remember that there was a website on the sign with plans.  I googled it when I passed a couple of weeks ago, but can't find it in my phone's history.

Recently found this vid of a project that an old friend manages in Belgium. This would be a regional destination if it were built where the RIDA block is located. We can dream though, right?

Looks like we aren't alone in our lackluster response to the RIDA block's proposed development.  See the last paragraph on page six for Appearance Review Board Members' comments: http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2013/04Apr/ARBApr2013Minutes.pdf

"...Proposal doesn't really address the scale needed on this site.  Something in terms of the scale of the Skyhouse would be more appropriate."

Basically, this project is going to suck, and though there are "concerns" about it not looking urban enough, it's probably going to be approved and be a huge missed opportunity for downtown.  Yes?  Or does anyone with any knowledge/experience think this thing has a chance at not being garbage?  

By the way, what is a "hardi reveal system"?  I Googled it and can't find anything except a link back to the PDF listed above.  

• Like 1

Slated for June MPB meeting:

412 E Church St.

PD Amendment request to allow for a 300 unit 9 story residential building with ground level retail on the block between Church, Mariposa, Lake and Osceola.

That is good news indeed!!

Hardie panels have been around for quite awhile. Back in the 90's I worked in exhibit design. Texaco was introducing a new design for their "Star Mart" & hired us to build an exact life sized replica of one that could be set up & taken down inside a large hotel convention hall. In this case, The Opryland Hotel in Nashville, where they had invited potential investors to come & see it. It was complete with mock up gas islands & the canopy over them as well. Brought in real gas pumps too.

Anyway, the material we used to build the exterior was Hardie panels. The rounded corners were real, with steel angle iron bracing inside & were saved & actually used to build a real store somewhere.

The mock building we built was identical to the one in this pic, but the canopy was smaller.

Star%20Mart%20de%20texaco.preview.jpg

I think that silver colored 12 story high rise at the corner of Central & Garland has Hardie paneling on it's exterior.

Edited by JFW657

Slated for June MPB meeting:

412 E Church St.

PD Amendment request to allow for a 300 unit 9 story residential building with ground level retail on the block between Church, Mariposa, Lake and Osceola.

I saw a Terracon truck on this site today doing some work. Environmental study maybe?