Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

FYI, looks like Orlando just posted the city council agendas all the way through end of August.  I'm reading through them now. 

FYI, looks like Orlando just posted the city council agendas all the way through end of August.  I'm reading through them now. 

...and never mind, most of them are blank   #fail

Mayor Buddy Dyer and Commissioner Tony Ortiz met on June 6- Topic of meeting= Immigration Reform, revitalization of the Semoran Corridor and Major League Soccer (MLS).

Commissioner Jim Gray and Commissioner Ortiz then met on June 13- Topic of meeting = Semoran Boulevard development.

Think this means that Semoran is still in the running for the stadium?  At least something is happening on Semoran it seems.

An blurb in the OBJ today discusses all of the new hotels coming to Orlando over the next several years. They mention a Residence Inn by Marriott at East Colonial and North Orange.

Is this the Ustler property that's been referred to on this board as the O + C hotel? I don't remember a brand flag being associated with that development up to this point.

June's ARB reveals a 9 story, 300 unit apartment building with ground floor retail being planned for the 400 E Church St property. The property is located between Bellvue Terrace apts and Star Tower; bound by Lake Ave, Mariposa St, Osceola Ave and Church St. The MPB will be released next month.

post-26482-0-73917000-1371839475_thumb.j

www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2013/06Jun/ARB2013-00051.pdf

Edited by nite owℓ

An blurb in the OBJ today discusses all of the new hotels coming to Orlando over the next several years. They mention a Residence Inn by Marriott at East Colonial and North Orange.

Is this the Ustler property that's been referred to on this board as the O + C hotel? I don't remember a brand flag being associated with that development up to this point.

Noticed that, too. Also, the OBJ article said the Cambria Suites would open in Q2-Q3 2014. Is that project still a go?

June's ARB reveals a 9 story, 300 unit apartment building with ground floor retail being planned for the 400 E Church St property. The property is located between Bellvue Terrace apts and Star Tower; bound by Lake Ave, Mariposa St, Osceola Ave and Church St. The MPB will be released next month.

Entrance.jpg

www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/ARB/2013/06Jun/ARB2013-00051.pdf

Looks great. Nice find.

$9M North I-Drive improvement work kicks off July 9

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/07/9m-north-i-drive-improvement-work.html

Since the recession ended and with all the happenings at Uni (not to mention Hash House A Go Go!), this segment of I-Drive has really gotten to be a pain to navigate. I'm very glad to see this. Now if we can just get the Grand National overpass across I4 constructed.

• Like 1

$9M North I-Drive improvement work kicks off July 9

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/07/9m-north-i-drive-improvement-work.html

Since the recession ended and with all the happenings at Uni (not to mention Hash House A Go Go!), this segment of I-Drive has really gotten to be a pain to navigate. I'm very glad to see this. Now if we can just get the Grand National overpass across I4 constructed.

Good to see they are planning dedicated bus lanes and pedestrian improvements. Was on this stretch of IDrive not too long ago. Hadn't been in many years. Nice to see things looking up in that area.

The "horrible" section between Universal and Sand Lake Road are the section that needs to be fixed. Cant belive people pay thousands of dollars to come to Orlando and see craps like that...

There is a "honky-tonk" quality to that section that is, I think, what some people like on vacation (it's also all some can afford.) The narrow roadways are by no means perfect, but without a car it's actually easier to get around than the 80's-suburban spread out quality of Plaza International south of Sand Lake. Obviously, I have no reason to stay on I-Drive since I live here but I have to admit more than a little remorse about losing the same qualities (or lack thereof, depending on your POV) in Daytona's Broadwalk area.

There is a "honky-tonk" quality to that section that is, I think, what some people like on vacation (it's also all some can afford.) The narrow roadways are by no means perfect, but without a car it's actually easier to get around than the 80's-suburban spread out quality of Plaza International south of Sand Lake. Obviously, I have no reason to stay on I-Drive since I live here but I have to admit more than a little remorse about losing the same qualities (or lack thereof, depending on your POV) in Daytona's Broadwalk area.

Appearances are always a matter of taste, but this section of I-Drive is always lively. I'll take "honky tonk" over dead any day.

About Daytona, was there last weekend. Had been years and I was surprised at the changes. It seemed so...respectable. Lol. Much more cleaned up than I expected. But, lots of folks out and it was perfectly nice. I'd be much more inclined to visit again.

Hello, long-time lurker here.  Born and raised in Orlando, but I've been a bit of a world wanderer for most of my adult life (I've lived in London for the past 5 years).  I always scroll through this forum to see what's going on in my hometown.  That said, downtown Orlando's retail challenge has always been a source of frustration for me.  I remember when there was a Gap and Sharper Image downtown!  Anyhow, if I was living there now, I'd be pushing for a project like this:

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/world_s_first_pop_up_mall_boxpark_opens_in_east_end_1_1145311

I bet you could find plenty of young, aspiring entrepreneurs in the Orlando area to fill up the spaces if a similar project was done in Orlando.  And the startup costs would be absurdly cheap.  The one here in London (Shoreditch) has been hugely successful.  They've even added outdoor restaurant space on the second level!  You don't need some real estate developer begging banks for financing or the city for incentives to revitalize downtown; just a little bit of creativity and innovation.