Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Based on things I've heard WOB hasn't even applied for permitting yet. The patio construction is being done by Post separately and the company built the wall too high to even see the lake somehow so they are now fixing that. It will still be done well in advance of WOB being ready. Oct/Nov would probably be the earliest now although he owns his own construction company so that will move pretty quick.

This Video from an architecture firm Hassell in Perth, Australia made me think of the debacle of the demolition of the Woolworth building and the construction of the Plaza building downtown.  

At around 4:05 minute mark, they discuss the integration and preservation of historic (heritage) buildings into the plan for a major mixed use project. I wonder what it might have looked like had some developers incorporated more of the historic buildings into the fabric of the new architecture here in Orlando. 

http://www.hassellstudio.com/en/cms-projects/detail/brookfield-place/

Edited by smonteserin

Agreed, I love the incorporation of old building into new projects. Don't know what kind of structural condition the Woolworth building was in but that would of been great for the project. I'm sure most of you have seen the old metal supply co. building built into the Padres Petco Park in San Diego. http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2011/06/creative-conversion-western-metals-building-incorporated-petco-park-stadium-san-diego/

Awesome idea especially for a ballpark, would like to see them do something like that with the old Florida Brewing Co. building in Ybor for the Rays whenever they finally move to downtown Tampa. To bad Orlando doesn't have any dominant building to work with left around, all the good one's are in the core of the city and occupied, which I am happy to see that at least.

• 3 weeks later...

We are hoping the bus shelters will be installed by the end of the summer.  It has taken some time to finalize the locations.  We will be sure to submit an update when the first ones are installed.

We are also working on an exciting new project called the Urban Art Museum.  The first art installation will be funded as a kickstarter project, so check out the video and be sure to donate some funds to the cause.  $10 to be invited to the party, $25 to have your name inscribed surreptitiously on the art piece and $100-$500 gets you a unique piece of artwork designed by Process Architecture and artist Marcos Cruz to commemorate the event.

If you would like to track the progress of the Urban Art Museum, Like our Facebook page.

The only reason our firm is able to sustain such innovative work in the city is because the community supports it.

Cheers!

Process Archtitecture

spenser1058, on 09 Jul 2013 - 3:05 PM, said:snapback.png

There is a "honky-tonk" quality to that section that is, I think, what some people like on vacation (it's also all some can afford.) The narrow roadways are by no means perfect, but without a car it's actually easier to get around than the 80's-suburban spread out quality of Plaza International south of Sand Lake. Obviously, I have no reason to stay on I-Drive since I live here but I have to admit more than a little remorse about losing the same qualities (or lack thereof, depending on your POV) in Daytona's Broadwalk area.

Appearances are always a matter of taste, but this section of I-Drive is always lively. I'll take "honky tonk" over dead any day.

About Daytona, was there last weekend. Had been years and I was surprised at the changes. It seemed so...respectable. Lol. Much more cleaned up than I expected. But, lots of folks out and it was perfectly nice. I'd be much more inclined to visit again.

Agreed about the old section of I-Drive. Many years ago, I used to occasionally go there if I was bored just to stroll around & catch a little of the kind of crowded street feel that downtown was lacking in those days. And Daytona... I haven't been there in years, but I'm sure they've ruined the place. That kind of seedy, adult-oriented "honky-tonk" carnival feel was what set that place apart from the rest of the Disneyesque, family-oriented drabness that is Central Florida.

And I for one, liked it.

Now I'm guessing it's almost turned into "Disney On The Beach", sort of like the way they ruined Times Square.

Thank God for Bike Week at least, but they'll probably figure out a way to namby-pamby that, too.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

"SteelHouse Orlando apartments near downtown Orlando, which we heard sold last month, ended up with a price tag of $59 million. MFREVF-SteelHouse LLC, an entity related to Chicago-based Mesirow Financial Holdings Inc., bought the complex on July 16 from CRP/Pollack Colonial/Orange LLC, an entity related to Atlanta-based developer Pollack Shores. CBRE also represented the seller in that deal."

That's news from OBJ. That's quick....

I understand they started putting up a wall that wasn't in the plans and the City shut them down. That is the rumor I heard, anyway.

Posted on the wall on Bungalower.com today...for some reason it was difficult to get to the bottom of this one...like oddly difficult. No one wanted to take credit for noticing that the wall was too high. Post was the only one who said "we noticed it first" The city wouldn't say anything regarding how the permitting process changed or even confirm or deny if the rumor that Mayor Dyer was the one who pushed for the wall to be lowered. Anyhow here is what we ended up with (photos included). Feel free to comment on the story with your thoughts! :)

http://bungalower.com/2013/08/wall-blocking-lake-eola-view-shortened-for-better-views/

Bungalower - found your FB page and saw that you have been answering "burning questions" from the peanut gallery. Love that someone already asked about the triangle property adjacent to Sky House.

Some questions that I'd be obliged to learn more about -

- Update on the Cambria Suites (sp?) that was supposed to be built at Rosalind and Washington. They demoed the old building but never developed it.

- The Axiom at Orange project on the east side of Orange Ave between Harding and Muriel in Downtown South. For as much good stuff that is happening in my part of town, that lot sits empty.

- O+C Hotel - I put 2 and 2 together that this will likely be a Residence Inn - but either way, any timeline on demo of existing buidling (red one, not Mama B) would be exciting to hear.

Posted on the wall on Bungalower.com today...for some reason it was difficult to get to the bottom of this one...like oddly difficult. No one wanted to take credit for noticing that the wall was too high. Post was the only one who said "we noticed it first" The city wouldn't say anything regarding how the permitting process changed or even confirm or deny if the rumor that Mayor Dyer was the one who pushed for the wall to be lowered. Anyhow here is what we ended up with (photos included). Feel free to comment on the story with your thoughts! :)

http://bungalower.com/2013/08/wall-blocking-lake-eola-view-shortened-for-better-views/

Nice work. William is a great guy. They were all in town the other day from Atlanta/Texas and got to get some updates on everything. Permitting still not applied for so there is no way they open before December. My money is on January at best at this point considering it will be about 4 months to build out and everything. Really hope the food is good, would easily close Spice down if it is.

Yes. William was very helpful (all of the folks from Post were). I'm actually biased towards Post. It was the only apartment complex I've ever lived in that I walked away liking the apartment complex and the folks who run it. :)

Thanks for reading and we love the popsicles btw!

• Like 1

Dubsdread tapped to run The Verandah at Thornton Park

http://community-paper.com/2013/07/30/dubsdread-tapped-to-run-the-verandah-at-thornton-park/

I was glad to see this on the College Park Community Paper site, as the Verandah complex has been needing a little love for a while now. Now that the recession seems to be, umm, receding, Summerlin's numerous empty spots will begin to fill up again and I have to believe this will help.

Edited by spenser1058