Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Not sure if this qualified as "downtown," but it's close. Intersting development for a stretch of OBT near Gore Street.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2013/08/21/mears-transportation-to-start-building.html

I suspect the definition of downtown may indeed be extended, particularly since Buddy's goal is apparently to create a sports and entertainment district from the Citrus Bowl to DPAC via Church St. 

I found this exciting, when you pair it with the proposed OPD headquarters in the area. For 40+ years, it seems like if we all pretended OBT didn't exist, then it would just go away. Finally, a little love. The Dr. Phillips organization owns more than a few of the buildings in the area - someone (Buddy and Daisy, we're looking at you) needs to get them to step up to the plate and get serious about revitalizing the neighborhood (despite their right-of-center tilt.) Just don't go messing with Goff's :)! I'd also like to see Parliament House's owners making an effort now that they survived the Great Recession and the bankruptcy.

I almost forgot: kudos to the Mears family for their efforts here. It's yet another example of what a difference locally-based organizations can make to the community. For an out-of-town company, it would have been easy to build a Butler building in some cow pasture in BFE and tout their "community spirit." Mears is building a facility we can be proud of. More locally-based corporate headquarters, please - THAT's where the government incentives need to go instead of to some multinational leviathan that takes the $$$ and, five years later, says "never mind" and offshores the whole thing.

Edited by spenser1058

I agree but would suggest that OBT isn't exactly being brought into the fold but rather given some of the larger but necessary facilities that would tear into the walkable street grid closer to home. Not quite "lulus" but undesirable nonetheless.

I just hope a group of buses isn't pulling out at the same time as the SWAT!

I agree but would suggest that OBT isn't exactly being brought into the fold but rather given some of the larger but necessary facilities that would tear into the walkable street grid closer to home. Not quite "lulus" but undesirable nonetheless.

I just hope a group of buses isn't pulling out at the same time as the SWAT!

I thought most of the buses were going to stay over at Gore and Rio Grande, according to the Sentinel article. I'm going to have to go back and reread it. That would indeed be a bit of a nightmare if they're going to OBT.

Apparently they are going to park vehicles like taxis on the new site and keep the buses over on Gore. Still too much asphalt for my taste, but I guess beggars can't be choosers in that part of town. Hopefully, they'll do lots of trees in the parking area.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-mears-taxi-project-20130821,0,7370015.story

Not sure if someone's mentioned this, but I keep driving by the sign: South Mills Row at the corner of South Street and Mills.  

• 5-unit rowhouse 
  • 1,800 SF units
  • 2 bedrooms - 2.5 baths

180e531eb94dd03aa0f85410cced22b9_17f2.jp

Nice find!  I really like this smaller infill projects that help to build up density in residential neighborhoods.  Lets get another 20-30 of these around downtown and we will be all set!

• Like 1

Not sure if someone's mentioned this, but I keep driving by the sign: South Mills Row at the corner of South Street and Mills.  

• 5-unit rowhouse 
  • 1,800 SF units
  • 2 bedrooms - 2.5 baths

180e531eb94dd03aa0f85410cced22b9_17f2.jp

Talked to the developer today for a post on Bungalower. He says it will be open Fall 2014. Pricing seams to be reasonable. 

Nice find!  I really like this smaller infill projects that help to build up density in residential neighborhoods.  Lets get another 20-30 of these around downtown and we will be all set!

Agree....I think my next move will be in a rowhouse style building like this or the brownstone townhomes.

I agree 100% with you guys. I am very excited to see rowhomes being built!! I think we have a nice collection of condos and historic homes. Developments like this give more options for people that want to live downtown in something new and don't want to pay the incredibly high HOAs of a condo. I hope to see many more like this.

Tech incubator to launch at new downtown HQ

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-tech-startup-incubator-20130828,0,5655759.story

Don't know if this has enough critical mass to really make a difference, but anything that might bring more tech downtown has to be looked at positively. Heaven knows, younger folks in these types of operations are exactly the folks who will want to live downtown, I imagine.

Matt, saw this update on your site (love your site btw):

New Apartment Building Coming to Thornton Park

http://bungalower.com/2013/09/new-apartment-building-coming-to-downtown/

This is great news! Finally a proposal on one of those long-empty lots. Do you know if this is The Montage resurrected? That project was to be 3 towers on separate parcels, one of which was this very plot if I'm not mistaken.

Some old Montage articles. These reference the 1st building being 19 stories and going next to Baptist Terrace along Lake Ave.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-10-13/business/real13_1_montage-downtown-orlando-lake-eola

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2011/09/16/developer-dusts-off-downtown-orlando.html

Edited by Pete C

Thanks Pete. 

I don't know that there is any activity...although the sign is gone and it's being used for parking. I've actually had people complain about this. The idea that they shouldn't be able to use a dirt lot for parking because the more money they are generating the less likely they are to develop the property.

The good news is that the state/city extended all PDs so that they can resurface at any point and begin construction without having to pay for a new master plan. The bad news is that because they don't have to go through the public approval process with the city we won't know anything is happening until we start seeing dirt move...unless they update.

I have reached out to those that have easy to find contact info in that area...but haven't heard back from anyone.

Also, I'm not sure on the exact details of the extension. I believe it was that they had one year and now it's extended five years. I think that would be a total of six (not questioning my math but rather if the one year is separate from the five). Someone can chime-in if they know more.

I have reached out to those that have easy to find contact info in that area...but haven't heard back from anyone.

I believe a declaration of a state of emergency also allows for it be extended.  

Matt, would one of those you've reached out to be +1.  That has to be one of two (the other being University Club's gotham like twin towers) downtown projects I was looking forward to the most.  

Speaking of old PDs anyone else hear this rumor of the Magic project going after some of the old City Place proposed tenants? I've heard some strange rumors involving H&M, House of Blues, some concepts from Robert Earl (I'm hearing his talks with I-Drive Live are a bit on the rocks lately) and even some less serious "chats" with Westgate. A bit odd to me and my sources aren't that great but interesting rumors nonetheless.  

Thanks Pete. 

I don't know that there is any activity...although the sign is gone and it's being used for parking. I've actually had people complain about this. The idea that they shouldn't be able to use a dirt lot for parking because the more money they are generating the less likely they are to develop the property.

The good news is that the state/city extended all PDs so that they can resurface at any point and begin construction without having to pay for a new master plan. The bad news is that because they don't have to go through the public approval process with the city we won't know anything is happening until we start seeing dirt move...unless they update.

Also, I'm not sure on the exact details of the extension. I believe it was that they had one year and now it's extended five years. I think that would be a total of six (not questioning my math but rather if the one year is separate from the five). Someone can chime-in if they know more.

Ok, I was wondering if this new building was related to the Montage because it was supposedly going to not only be on that plot next to Baptist Terrace, but also the one behind it where that new apartment building you posted is going. At least, that is what I thought based on what I had read. I was just wondering if this new building was the same developer as the Montage or something completely new.

2 companies bid on downtown Orlando bike-share program

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bike-share-bidders-20130823,0,923304.story

I really like that this idea is being introduced to Orlando.  It has worked in many other cities and this could work well as an alternative for those who live in Orlando's close-in neighborhoods.  My concern is that the first 16 stations will not go far enough into Thornton Park, Eola South, Lake Eola Heights, Parramore, etc., to have a meaningful impact and to get ridership numbers up.  But, alas, it is a start. 

2 companies bid on downtown Orlando bike-share program

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bike-share-bidders-20130823,0,923304.story

I really like that this idea is being introduced to Orlando.  It has worked in many other cities and this could work well as an alternative for those who live in Orlando's close-in neighborhoods.  My concern is that the first 16 stations will not go far enough into Thornton Park, Eola South, Lake Eola Heights, Parramore, etc., to have a meaningful impact and to get ridership numbers up.  But, alas, it is a start. 

Those were the locations proposed by the city....the two companies have proposed their own locations. We'll be posting those locations soon at Bungalower.com. And yes it's a start because those 16 locations were for 200 bikes but the city has asked the companies to phase in a total of 800 bikes. Where do you want to see the locations?

Great opportunity for Main Street Districts, many of which aren't within walking distance from one another, but are within biking distance, to cross-promote with this program. Bike in and get 10% off or a free beer or whatever.

What would take it to the next level is if the Main Streets collectively created a map-pamphlet that showcased the routes from one to the other. This would help promote safe and friendly routes and more importantly, increase bikes on the road and separate greater downtown from the rest of the metro area in perception of bike friendliness.

Those were the locations proposed by the city....the two companies have proposed their own locations. We'll be posting those locations soon at Bungalower.com. And yes it's a start because those 16 locations were for 200 bikes but the city has asked the companies to phase in a total of 800 bikes. Where do you want to see the locations?

I'd start with something like this:

SunRail Stations - 

• Orlando Amtrak
  • Lynx Intermodal
  • Church Street Station
  • Florida Hospital

CBD:

• City Hall
  • Heritage Square
  • Plaza Theatre
  • Jackson / S Rosalind
  • N Rosalind / E Robinson (Lake Eola)

Parramore:

• Amway Center
  • Westmoreland / Orange
  • N Division / Central
  • Livingston / Creative Village
  • Citrus Bowl

Mills50:/ ViMi

• Colonial / Orange
  • MillsPark
  • Fashion Square Mall

Uptown / Ivanhoe Row:

• N Orange / Park Lake Street
  • N Orange / Virginia Drive
  • Princeton / Alden (Loch Haven Park)
  • N Orange / E King Street

SODO:

• SODO / Orange at Grant
  • ORMC / Orange at Miller

Thornton Park / S Eola:

• Central Ave at the Paramount / Publix
  • Washington St / Summerlin

Audobon Garden District:

• Corrine / Chapel Drive

Baldwin Park:

• New Broad Street / Prospect Ave

W.

T.

F.

If this is any indication, this whole art sculpture project is going to be a complete disaster. HIDEOUS!!!!!

Sculpture hits downtown, with more to come

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-see-art-downtown-sculptures-20130911,0,4722182.story

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm looking forward to seeing the new pieces once they're all installed.

W.

T.

F.

If this is any indication, this whole art sculpture project is going to be a complete disaster. HIDEOUS!!!!!

Sculpture hits downtown, with more to come

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-see-art-downtown-sculptures-20130911,0,4722182.story

Agreed. And believe it or not, it gets worse!

I'd prefer all monies heavily directed to improving downtown's streetscape, restoring/repairing bricked roads, burying power lines, adding bike lanes, updating intersections & make them more ped friendly, etc.

I saw all the winning designs several months ago but I am unable to locate them again.  From what I recall my favorites were a flock of flying chrome birds being installed inside the north side of Lake Eola (they started draining a portion of the lake this week).  My next was near Panera which were like aluminum spheres and flags on posts in a circular courtyard.  The one across from the Waverly was nice too.  I didn't care too much for the one on the corner of Central and Eola or the one in the cul de sac by WOB.  The giant woman laying on her side near the flower garden by the Disney Theatre with the "soil hill" body could be interesting but the renderings made it hard to determine.

I was just on Deedee Morrison's page, and I actually like many of her other sculptures. They usually have nice ornate carvings on them, and I see several that I would like downtown. The other one she is doing for us looks better (IMO of course) in the In Progress section.

http://deedeemorrisonsculpture.com/portfolio/1/Portfolio

More of her first installation here. I just can't get into it at all:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/9/6/first_look_new_see_a.html

Edited by Pete C