Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

In other news, Pine 22 is closing/closed (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=594140953981511&id=124278644301080), and from the looks of it walking by last Friday night, On the Rocks closed as well.

However, Schaumann's Jager Haus opened and is AMAZING.  Great theming, Great food, Great prices ($10 for a liter of quality German beer).  Talked with the manager, seemed like a cool guy.  Living basically right above this is going to end badly.

Matt, since u r a downtown blogger, can u go dig out what is going on with the new OPD, magic new complex?

Been looking into it but they are being quite hush hush...I also will only report once I can confirm something...I've heard lots of rumors but nothing I can verify.

Saw this one in person yesterday and I am a big fan. I also saw the installation of birds on the north side of the park and that one looks promising.

Yeah those two are my favorites....of the three that are out there :) I should be able to post the birds later this week. I'm trying to respect the artists and not post until the sculptures are complete (minus lights, base and landscaping).

Yeah those two are my favorites....of the three that are out there :) I should be able to post the birds later this week. I'm trying to respect the artists and not post until the sculptures are complete (minus lights, base and landscaping).

What's funny is that my wife and I walked around on Sunday, and I took her over to the globe one with the fish and she really liked it. She knows much more about art than I do as her family is full of professional artists...so it is true that each person will see the pieces differently.

Overall I am very excited about all of the installations now. They will get people walking, talking, and taking photos. If I had to gripe I would say too many of them went to Lake Eola. I think Church St should have at least gotten one of them.

Edited by Pete C

Matt, since u r a downtown blogger, can u go dig out what is going on with the new OPD, magic new complex?

From 9/12 - "The final design build criteria package is scheduled to be completed by October 2013. Solicitation for the design build team will follow once an overall schedule is established."

The city is working with Le-Huu under a continuing Architechtural Services contract to develop the criteria and RFQ package.

That would of been nice, but at least we got to save a couple historic buildings. Some of the few that are left off of Eola. They could build that same building two blocks south where the city plaza building was planned, and all they would destroy is a surface lot. Would be a wonderful view from that location though..

I hope the city would buy the land on both corners of the park and further expand lake eola park. A no leash doggie park would be nice.

Although the design is meh but I would rather see this replaced the cresent or whatever they r gonna build on the pizzuti block