Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

It looks like the hotel construction plans are still under review at the City but they appear to be close to getting approval.  This thing could get started in a month or so probably.  I guess it's only going to be 7 floors.  I thought it was nine for some reason.  Hopefully, the South Eola area can see the same level of activity as this Uptown area in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that looks pretty cool.  Wish it was 35 stories, but at 21, I'll still take it!  Density is key, so I'm hoping the ground level retail is something useable by downtown residents.  Definitely a modern, almost futuristic look to the building.  I hope to see it.

But the name "City Tower" just sounds like Citi Bank to me.  Not residential, as this is meant to be.

I hope a new thread for this project pops up if it actually starts looking like a reality.

Hopefully this will be the first of many mixed used developments downtown. I like it, it's very similar to the Jackson's architecture; minimalist, sleek and modern.

I'm also waiting for the day the old gas station on Robinson & Orange is torn down or even repurposed. Does anyone know if any development was ever planned for the gas station property or it doomed forever due to soil contamination from it's past transgressions?

Posted this morning on the new building proposed in the South Eola part of the Thornton Park District. 

The renderings have gone through revisions since they were submitted to the city so we'll see what they look like on final ARB.

Edited by MattSokoloff

I wonder if they can do 2-story retail - ADA may be a problem with the single elevator, but nobody in town has really been successful with their mezzanine retail, and this could allow a couple of stores to go in next to each other.

With the mezzanine I would have loved to have seen an outdoor escalator that encourages people to go upstairs.

I'm also waiting for the day the old gas station on Robinson & Orange is torn down or even repurposed. Does anyone know if any development was ever planned for the gas station property or it doomed forever due to soil contamination from it's past transgressions?

I believe there were plans for a 1-2 story bank there a few years ago when Avis used to occupy it.  The plans weren't very impressive so I'm actually glad nothing has happened yet. Hopefully something better will come along at some point.  

• Like 1

IMO the new police headquarters should be built on the lot just east of the soccer stadium and north of HD Supply.  Moving a big tenant out of downtown seems like a terrible idea to me.  The headquarters in Tampa is in a great location and helps nearby restaurants.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=27.948429,-82.458155&spn=0.00086,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=27.948429,-82.458283&panoid=wJ6_LxtzYlA2OSYUeNVU0Q&cbp=12,112.89,,0,2.72

I think the new location is great and for the very same reasons.  I think/hope the new location will help the businesses on OBT plus the new construction of this, along with Mears, will really help to clean up that area.  The addition of all those police cars coming and going along OBT should help clear the area of some of the 'undesirable' aspects that its now infamous for.  I have to assume that the new police station will have at least a few cameras around it helping keep even more eyes on the neighborhood.  

I hope the new station includes some ground floor retail and maybe even a community center room or two.  I do find it odd the new station will be so much smaller, with the city growing it'd make sense to build it larger and leave parts of it ready for a later build-out (like what Florida Hospital is doing with most of its new buildings).  

• Like 1

I think the new location is great and for the very same reasons.  I think/hope the new location will help the businesses on OBT plus the new construction of this, along with Mears, will really help to clean up that area.  The addition of all those police cars coming and going along OBT should help clear the area of some of the 'undesirable' aspects that its now infamous for.  I have to assume that the new police station will have at least a few cameras around it helping keep even more eyes on the neighborhood.  

I hope the new station includes some ground floor retail and maybe even a community center room or two.  I do find it odd the new station will be so much smaller, with the city growing it'd make sense to build it larger and leave parts of it ready for a later build-out (like what Florida Hospital is doing with most of its new buildings).  

I agree. Should be a boon for that neighborhood.

As for the smaller station, according to the Sentinel, OPD has shifted to sub-stations scattered throughout the city rather than concentrating staff in one single large HQ.

A police station is needed over on the trail more than it needed in Parramore.

Besides, it's close enough to Parramore to maintain their presence there & the new building wouldn't have an impact on the downtown skyline anyway.

They could probably use a small sub station near the current location, though.

I wonder if the comparison of the size of the new building to the old one, includes the unused cell block tower in the old building when figuring the difference.