Sixth Avenue Tunnel Project

elguapo731

There has been a build-up of materials and equipment near the 2nd and 4th Ave exit off of the Interstate and a portion of Pure Golds Crazy Horse's Parking lot has been taken over and re-fenced with material, drillers and machinery moving in. I work in an office close to this area and we recieved a letter today saying they are pre-inspecting buildings in the area because of possible blasting that may be needed for the "Sixth Avenue Tunnel Project"

I am assuming this has to do with the new convention center. Does anyone have any more information on this? I was wondering if this was a loading dock tunnel or a parking garage tunnel or SoBro overflow tunnel.

One neighbor said it was actually going to pop out at the corner of the Pure Golds Crazy Horse Property but I have no confimation on that so I am not sure if this will feed onto 4th Ave South, onto the feeder road to the interstate or onto South Lafayette.

Update: Google Map Link

I've provided a google map link. The left hand colum of the parking lot marked is the lot that has been taken over. Surveyors were out in the area a few months ago taking readings on the entire Crazy Horse Plot, 3rd Ave South behind Crazy Horse, the Grassy area along the interstate and the mechanics lot along Lafayette.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am at the shop when they come to do building inspections I will ask some quetions and see if the inspection company has information I can share. I really have no clue what the tunnel is at this point but it would seem odd for the work to be sooo far away from the Convention Center if it were DES and odd that it is right next to a entrance and exit ramps to the interstate.

I know that owners in this area have stories of a direct interstate ramp that was proposed years ago for the current convetion center. So now we are all assuming it is a tunnel for the new center but like I said, we just don't know. Crazy Horse people probably know since their parking lot has been taken over.

Hmm... sounds like a fun field trip for investigative purposes.. but i'd get in trouble for that one..

6th Ave is supposed to be turned into the tunnel for the MCC.. that seems a little far down to stretch the tunnel to me though.. but who knows?

I think the MCC tunnel is part of a loading dock, but still open as a street as well.. if i remember correctly.. the MCC website seems to be down right now, though.

They just poured the concrete for the tunnel on Tuesday of this week. The entrance is off of KVB and leads both to the loading dock and also takes a different turn and goes underneath Demonbreun to the arena.

Does it come back out somewhere as in a public street? I was under the impression that it was going to....

They just poured the concrete for the tunnel on Tuesday of this week. The entrance is off of KVB and leads both to the loading dock and also takes a different turn and goes underneath Demonbreun to the arena.

So is this "Sixth Avenue Tunnel Project" a differnt tunnel not associated with the MCC? You mentioned that they poured the concrete already and the entrance is off of KVB so now I am really curious as to what this tunnel project is.

I called and scheduled our building inspection for next Wednesday so I will hopefully know more then. I was told that all inspections had to be completed by next Thursday.

So is this "Sixth Avenue Tunnel Project" a differnt tunnel not associated with the MCC? You mentioned that they poured the concrete already and the entrance is off of KVB so now I am really curious as to what this tunnel project is.

I called and scheduled our building inspection for next Wednesday so I will hopefully know more then. I was told that all inspections had to be completed by next Thursday.

Not sure but when you mentioned it the other day, the gentlemen's club you cited is on 4th, not 6th so not sure how that even connects. The MCC project is for the loading docks and entrance into the arena event level and it does start at 6th and KVB and goes either up (loading docks) or down and under the MCC to the arena dock level.

There has been a build-up of materials and equipment near the 2nd and 4th Ave exit off of the Interstate and a portion of Pure Golds Crazy Horse's Parking lot has been taken over and re-fenced with material, drillers and machinery moving in. I work in an office close to this area and we recieved a letter today saying they are pre-inspecting buildings in the area because of possible blasting that may be needed for the "Sixth Avenue Tunnel Project"

I am assuming this has to do with the new convention center. Does anyone have any more information on this? I was wondering if this was a loading dock tunnel or a parking garage tunnel or SoBro overflow tunnel.

One neighbor said it was actually going to pop out at the corner of the Pure Golds Crazy Horse Property but I have no confimation on that so I am not sure if this will feed onto 4th Ave South, onto the feeder road to the interstate or onto South Lafayette.

Update: Google Map Link

I've provided a google map link. The left hand colum of the parking lot marked is the lot that has been taken over. Surveyors were out in the area a few months ago taking readings on the entire Crazy Horse Plot, 3rd Ave South behind Crazy Horse, the Grassy area along the interstate and the mechanics lot along Lafayette.

I drove by there this morning on the way to an appointment and their electronic sign said to please excuse the NES construction going on (oh - and it said there's plenty of parking, too, in case anybody wants to put a visit on their calender :whistling: )

NES crews were out there working at the time..

David

The MCC project is for the loading docks and entrance into the arena event level and it does start at 6th and KVB and goes either up (loading docks) or down and under the MCC to the arena dock level.

So the up portion.. would come out at Demonbreun?

Just stumbled across this on the city's construction map (which I also stumbled across). If you click on the purple line running down Lafayette St to 6th it has it labeled as an NES Power Cable Run.

http://maps.google.c...917f334d096e77e

It also links to an NES posting describing it as:

Two overhead high voltage transmission lines that feed the Demonbreun Substation will be placed 100 feet underground in the tunnel which will be approximately 3,000 feet long and eight feet in diameter.

Construction on the tunnel will begin May 1, 2010 and is estimated to be complete by late Spring 2011.

Hope this helps

Archived