Cool Downtown GR pic

ColinSuperCool

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photo of downtown GR! It shows the density that's always been there, but it never seen.

The black building is the 328 foot tall Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I've studied this stuff too long - I am begining to memorize all the heights without even trying.

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Rapids doesn't have many good skyscrapers, but it has an incredible wealth of historic architecture. Downtown is quite vibrant, with a lot of restaurants and new downtown lofts. Only two of the buildings downtown are vacant, and one of those is set to receive a new tenant in the next few months. GR is far from dirty....it must just look that way in this particular pic.

• 2 weeks later...

That black building is the only decent one in GR, but the area looks great. Maybe a little dirty. But who knows, my eyes aren't the greatest. I couldn't say because I haven't been there

Actually that picuture cuts off the tallest and the tird tallest, both are just out of frame. Plus it is quite old and cuts off large portions of 'new downtown' including GVSU's business school and apartments complex.

And to correct the 'a little dirty' statement, Grand Rapids clearly has one of the cleanest downtowns in the entire Rust Belt. One of the most lively too, more bars and restaurants here than in downtown Detroit. Last I checked we had something like two to three times the amount in downtown Detroit - 90 total here and growing monthly.

Archived