Interesting article...

MTSUBlueraider86

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, i have waited on this, and contemplated on not posting this at all... but for someone who says they are for nashville, sure does post a lot about other cities. now i understand the like for nashville, but constantyl posting about other cities is of no use to the development threads here in nashville. it would be ok if every so often it was a post here and there, but all your posts seem to be about other cities and what they are doing and that nashville should folow suite. i honestly think we need to focus on what nashville has going on, and not other cities and why we arent doing like them. just my opinion, take it as is, i am one lone user, but i think it would be of benfit to stop posting things about other cities with an undertone of nashville isnt as good as other cities, and start posting of nashville developments

Well Ron, if you would take the time to read each post and reflect on what the intention is, you might understand what some of the possibilities for Nashville actually are. By doing this you would see that these posts should be an indication of what Nashville could and should do. The fact that nothing else is going on right now, gives us all the opportunity to see what the future may be. It is good to read what some other cities are doing. You are more than welcome to come to a meeting and discuss this with the group as we discuss other cities quite often. Just because this is the Nashville forum, it does not mean the country at whole cannot be discussed. Have you thought that maybe some people in Nashville may be interested in what else is going on? We meet every first Saturday of the month at Casablanca Coffee in the Gulch. Send me your email address and I will add you to the group emails that go out every so often. I don't think in five years I have ever seen you at a meet.

We had at one time people from Chattanooga, Memphis, Jackson, and Murfreesboro drive in for a Nashville Forum Meet. The entire focus of the meeting was not just Nashville.

It also is important to remember many architecture firms and developers of these world wide projects are in some cases located here in Nashville. Its good to see what other cities are doing based on hiring Nashville firms. It should also be noted in no way was there an intention to come across as if I were belittling Nashville. That is ridiculous and preposterous. That is short sighted and does not hold a valid argument.

We have been having monthly group meets for over five years. We have invited the entire Nashville forum but the ones that complain are the ones that never show up. We have had guest speakers including Tony Giarratana and we frequently discussed other cities. We have engineers, architects, landscape architects, and planners in the group along with built environment journalists. We have a professional photographer in the group and in July, he talked about his book coming out about coal mines in West Virginia and municipal airports around the region and how that intersects in some small way with Nashville. So yes, the group has a greater built environment interest as a whole. Many in the group have emailed me and thanked me for the research I do to bring knowledge of other cities to this forum. We have one of the only groups on the whole Urbanplanet forum that actually have monthly meets. We have even taken excursions to other cities as a group.

Since others have thanked me for my research. I will continue to post articles about other cities because those projects from around the world can aid in our understanding about the needs of Nashville. I will see you at the group meet in September!

SEC

ok, i have waited on this, and contemplated on not posting this at all... but for someone who says they are for nashville, sure does post a lot about other cities. now i understand the like for nashville, but constantyl posting about other cities is of no use to the development threads here in nashville. it would be ok if every so often it was a post here and there, but all your posts seem to be about other cities and what they are doing and that nashville should folow suite. i honestly think we need to focus on what nashville has going on, and not other cities and why we arent doing like them. just my opinion, take it as is, i am one lone user, but i think it would be of benfit to stop posting things about other cities with an undertone of nashville isnt as good as other cities, and start posting of nashville developments

Ron-E,

I agree that we need to focus on Nashville in this forum. And we surely don't want folks trashing our city. But I've known SEC since 2004 and he is passionate about Nashville's built environment and wants the city to flourish. SEC takes the time to research various websites and share info about other cities. He is not trying to suggest Nashville is inferior to other cities. In fairness, I can see how you or anybody else might infer that. But it's not the case with SEC.

Anyway, join us for a forum meet. You do a fine job of posting and the gang would like to meet you.

William Williams

Archived