Gaslight Village, Minus The Traffic Lights?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears EGR is doing away with traffic lights in their CBD, and have replaced them with 4-way stop signs. Not a huge bit of news, but an interesting experiment in traffic control over there.

Seems to be working very well so far.

I like it.

It's a dramatic improvement on two fronts:

1) Making turns onto Wealthy was nearly impossible because of street parking blocking views. Now you're ok because cars on Wealthy have to stop.

2) Pedestrians! It's almost impossible to describe how much easier it is to walk around Gaslight now. As someone who does more walking than driving in that area, I'm very happy. I believe this is a temporary experiment, so I'm hoping they keep the signs permanently.

As a point of clarification I believe they only removed one traffic light: Lovett and Wealthy. They added 4-way-stops at Lovett, Bagley and Croswell. The traffic light at Wealthy and Lakeside Dr. is still in operation I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. You don't feel like you just have to "go for it" now. Much improved. :)

Joe

It's a dramatic improvement on two fronts:

1) Making turns onto Wealthy was nearly impossible because of street parking blocking views. Now you're ok because cars on Wealthy have to stop.

2) Pedestrians! It's almost impossible to describe how much easier it is to walk around Gaslight now. As someone who does more walking than driving in that area, I'm very happy. I believe this is a temporary experiment, so I'm hoping they keep the signs permanently.

As a point of clarification I believe they only removed one traffic light: Lovett and Wealthy. They added 4-way-stops at Lovett, Bagley and Croswell. The traffic light at Wealthy and Lakeside Dr. is still in operation I believe.

• 3 years later...

This is an old post, but as a new member just joined up I can report the experiment is a great success as the configuration is the same more than three years hence. I live in the area and agree this is a vast improvement.

Mike

I think this experiment should be tried on other pedestrian heavy areas of Wealthy, like between Fuller and Diamond and near the Winchester/new brewery/Donkey.

Archived