What started the decline of High Point Road?

d_Random

I was driving down High Point Rd yesterday and was surveying how run down the whole road looks. In the 80's it was a major shopping destination, now it is nothing more than a collection of strip malls with mom and pop shops. The last remaining big stores on the street, Borders and Toys 'r Us, must be holding on by a thread. And once those go, that will be the last remains of the road's former economic glory.

How can High Point Road be revitalized? :dunno:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was driving down High Point Rd yesterday and was surveying how run down the whole road looks. In the 80's it was a major shopping destination, now it is nothing more than a collection of strip malls with mom and pop shops. The last remaining big stores on the street, Borders and Toys 'r Us, must be holding on by a thread. And once those go, that will be the last remains of the road's former economic glory.

How can High Point Road be revitalized? :dunno:

I think it all started with the retail boom on West Wendover in the 1990s. Overnight, retail sprouted up on West Wendover between I-40 and Bridford Parkway. With a new retail cluster emerging, many retailers on High Point Rd wanted to move to West Wendover. That started the decline. When the retailers left, discount stores and pawn shops and adult themed establishments opened up in their places. At the same time, crime started to rise. But there is a segment of High Point Rd thats bustling with retail and decent restaurants (between I-40 and Holden Rd) where there are stores such as Bed Bath & Beyond and World Market.

Archived