What is your favorite new Uptown architecture?

tozmervo

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite new Uptown architecture?

• Duke Energy Center
    • The Vue
    • 1 Bank of America Center
    • Ritz-Carlton
    • NASCAR Tower
    • NASCAR Hall of Fame
    • Harvey B. Gantt Center
    • Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
    • The Mint Museum
    • The Knight Theater
    • North Carolina Center for Dance
    • The Catalyst
    • 440 Church
    • UNC Charlotte Uptown Building
    • Epicentre

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, where's the Trump Building? (hehehe)

I just don't know if I have a favorite YET of the above list. I want to see the UNC Charlotte building completed and am waiting to see MINT in action. Obviously the Duke is my favorite skyline building though, but going by pure aesthetics I kind of dig what Bechtler does for the city the most.

I can list my least favorites of the above list:: Catalyst

yeah it was a really tough choice. i think the Bechtler is by far the most architecturally unique for the city, followed by the Mint and UNCC, but Duke clearly is the biggest spectacle and has the most wow factor.

i voted for 1BOA though because i'm just in love with how sophisticated and simple it is, and i don't think it gets enough credit.

i'll vote Epicentre for least favorite, but i'm by no means an Epicentre hater. i get a lot of use out of the place.

Not as if they were contenders for best architecture, but the Sierra Hotel and aLoft are both new construction as well.

UNCC gets my vote purely because it brings something to the city that it doesn't really have yet -- a mid/low-rise building that isn't bland. I actually wish it were closer to the cultural campus as it would work really well with the architecture of the Mint and Bechtler. In terms of impact, Duke takes the cake. But UNCC is my favorite new architecture in uptown (especially coming from my alma mater which has been architecturally stuck in the same boring style for the last decade.)

Just curious...what would be your pick outside of the options given?

Honestly I can't really say, but the BOA tower is my favorite building in Uptown. I like the design ideals of 1 BOA center, but to me they are visually just glass towers. I'm not a fan of the "New Modern" buildings like UNCC Uptown, or the Mint, but they do add some character to Uptown, which is was sorely needed. Though I am a fan of Levine's Childrens Hospital, except for it's awning (I know not Uptown). The awning looked ok in the renderings but that was somehow lost in it's implementation, in the renderings it looked light, but in real life it looks bulky and bloated, and a bit cheap. To me the Sky-Window on DEC is just idiotic, and the way it is lit at night adds a visual weakness to the building, like it's top heavy. But all of the options are a heck of a lot better than the Westin... Which I just don't "get" at all.

UNCC gets my vote purely because it brings something to the city that doesn't it doesn't really have yet -- a mid/low-rise building that isn't bland. I actually wish it were closer to the cultural campus as it would work really well with the architecture of the Mint and Bechtler.

I'm hopeful that the UNCC building will eventually spur some complimentary architecture on that side of town.

It is really hard for me to pick one. I think the VUE and the Duke Energy Tower add the most wow factor to the skyline, especially at night. I love the UNCC business tower. The Levine Cultural campus has several nice buildings, most notable the Bechtler museum. I like the ideology behind 1BOA tower and its good to have more green buildings, but aethetically it's not all that wow to me.

In terms of "pretty skyline additions" the Duke Power Tower wins. That building has really grown on me, and it has a semi-decent urban design with the plaza and shops along 1st St.

HOWEVER- The VUE gets my vote for three reasons:

1)It has generally good urban design. The street level has 4 retail spaces facing 5th, and the entrance on Pine being relatively unobtrusive. The residential tower design reminds me of something from Vancouver, and the garage doors on the crown add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the skyline.

2)It will contribute more to the core of Charlotte for LOCALS. Over time it will add potentially over 1000 new residents to center city, which will add demand for non-boutique retail and non-steakhouse restaurants...

3)It replaced a parking lot.

You are correct--the site was an abandoned Firestone service station. Because of the use, the soil was contaminated, and the site was labled a Brownfield. The development of Duke Energy Center removed and remediated over 75,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil thereby convirting the otherwise useless Brownfield into a vibrant area of Uptown where thousands of people will work and play.

Archived