Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neo

When does a business become part of the neighborhood fabric?

6 posts in this topic

I saw this question over on the Consumerist blog and thought it a befitting question for our community here. At what point does a business become part of the fabric of a neighborhood? I'm sure all of us can name staple businesses in our neighborhoods, but at what point did they become a staple? What defines that promotion?

I think that it has to 1) serve an important function in the neighborhood, something that people would miss if it were gone and 2) be involved in the neighborhood i.e. represented at civic meetings, support the local youth program, etc.

Basically, the business has to show people that it, too, wants the best for the neighborhood. Generally, this is best achieved by a locally owned/operated business.

When the community becomes dependent on that particular business. Businesses that fail to meet a community's needs never become part of the fabric of the community and are always short lived.

Edited by billyjones

Whistle-Stop very well said. I agree that it needs to become one with the community. It needs to add value, solve problems and be there to help the community. I think it is just like any other relationship really.

Whistle-Stop very well said. I agree that it needs to become one with the community. It needs to add value, solve problems and be there to help the community. I think it is just like any other relationship really.

Not having anything to do with this topic, but I thought I would let you know that "Whistle-Stop" is actually just a categorization we give to members based on their post count. We have lots of different ones based on your post count. The actual name of the user posting is in the gray bar (e.g. you're currently at "Crossroads" with your post count, but your username is "beerguy").

It's probably a little confusing the way we do this.

I would also offer that it gets there at a point when it has built a certain day-to-day trust and rapport with the folks in the community. People stop by and buy something as much for stopping in and having a person-to-person chat as to actually acquire whatever it is they bought.