Tour of Oakhill Cemetery

walker

I received the September newsletter from the Grand Rapids Historical Society in the mail the other day. Their first event of the year is "A Walking Tour of the History of Oakhill Cemetery" on Saturday September 18 at 10 a.m., presented by Thomas Dilley and Jennifer Morrison. The newsletter contains several articles about the history and architecture of the cemetery. Unfortunately they don't seem to store a copy of the newsletter in a PDF file on the internet so I can't provide a link. Here though is a quote from the introductory paragraph from the lead article by Mr. Dilley:

The grandest of the historic cemeteries of Grand Rapids, Oak Hill Cemetery has been in existence for more than 150 years. Here are buried many of the most important players in the history of the city, and here are many of the most interesting and elaborate monuments to those people. Please join us for a walking tour of the southern half of this historic cemetery, and learn about its history and occupants, as well as the art and architecture of this wonderful, historic place.

As with almost all their events, anyone can attend at no cost. Here is a link to their events website with a little more information:

events

And here is a YouTube video of Oak Hill cemetery by Jennifer Morrison:

I'm going to be in Seattle that morning so I'll miss this. But if it rains and has to be rescheduled I’ll be there Sunday.

• 11 months later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year's tour was of the southern half of the cemetery. This year the Grand Rapids Historical Society will have a walking tour of the northern half Saturday September 10. Here's a nice promo story from the Rapidian that tells more:

http://therapidian.o...torical-society

The events link below still works and will take you to the historical society's listing of the new tour. The video link below still works too (the video hasn't changed though.)

I received the September newsletter from the Grand Rapids Historical Society in the mail the other day. Their first event of the year is "A Walking Tour of the History of Oakhill Cemetery" on Saturday September 18 at 10 a.m., presented by Thomas Dilley and Jennifer Morrison. The newsletter contains several articles about the history and architecture of the cemetery. Unfortunately they don't seem to store a copy of the newsletter in a PDF file on the internet so I can't provide a link. Here though is a quote from the introductory paragraph from the lead article by Mr. Dilley:

The grandest of the historic cemeteries of Grand Rapids, Oak Hill Cemetery has been in existence for more than 150 years. Here are buried many of the most important players in the history of the city, and here are many of the most interesting and elaborate monuments to those people. Please join us for a walking tour of the southern half of this historic cemetery, and learn about its history and occupants, as well as the art and architecture of this wonderful, historic place.

As with almost all their events, anyone can attend at no cost. Here is a link to their events website with a little more information:

events

And here is a YouTube video of Oak Hill cemetery by Jennifer Morrison:

I'm going to be in Seattle that morning so I'll miss this. But if it rains and has to be rescheduled I’ll be there Sunday.

Archived