Bonney Road Proposals

HarryVB

Give us your best proposals for the Bonney Road property and maybe we'll sell or lease it to you.

Or maybe we won't sell or lease the property at all, says the city of Virginia Beach.

That's the plan for 11 acres on Bonney Road, near the Virginia Beach Town Center, which has lain dormant since 1996 when the city bought it for $5.5 million.

The assessed value of the property is $2.14 million, as of Aug. 7, according to city records.

The city has issued a request of interest for the property. This means the Beach has floated a balloon to gauge the level of interest and see if any plans fit into the future development of the area as a station stop on a light rail connection between Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

The plans would be evaluated based on transit-oriented development, a key phrase among mass transit advocates, the development community and municipalities.

"We are not doing this to sell the property," said Warren Harris, economic development director of Virginia Beach. "We are doing this to create and evaluate development opportunities that fall within the auspices of the Pembroke Strategic Growth area."

Harris said the city might agree to sell the property, lease the property or not sell the property.

It depends if the plans fit into the expansion of the central business district. It might take years to get to a development agreement, Harris said. "We won't go into a hard-core deal until much later in the process."

Beach Seeks Development Ideasfor Bonney Road

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure what property the city is referring to, is it the vacant land on Bonney that is in between the Days Inn and the Extended Stay hotel? If that is, I don't really see that being much of a TOD location until the portion in between there and the tracks along Indy get redeveloped.

If it is this location, I would rather see the city focusing on acquiring the rest of the properties in between there and the tracks to open up a chance for a masterplan development with a developer or several developers all working under one umbrella. That would make much more sense to me...but then again, there is nothing wrong with the city floating this out there for free ideas, I just don't see many developers jumping at the chance to give the city free work for nothing.

This should answer your question!.

BonneyRoadPros.jpg

Wow. I must say Harry I've never seen this rendering before. Is this from the new strategic growth initiative?

Also, it's interesting that they put a highrise on top of the Dick's garage. I wonder if the building was built to support such an addition or if they're just dreaming. Also, the Gateway tower looks as tall as the Westin in this image, which is interesting.

The tall building you see is not dicks sporting goods. Its actually the old circuit city lot. The building will have lightrail built in below as a station and workplace. The gateway Bank tower will only be 24 stories. alil taller than the armada hoffler. But the reason why it looks as tall as the westin because of the perspective its viewed in!

Wow. I must say Harry I've never seen this rendering before. Is this from the new strategic growth initiative?

Also, it's interesting that they put a highrise on top of the Dick's garage. I wonder if the building was built to support such an addition or if they're just dreaming. Also, the Gateway tower looks as tall as the Westin in this image, which is interesting.

Though if I am not mistaken, the Dick's garage is able to handle a tower of some sort on top of it if it ever happens...it has been a long time now, but I remember seeing extra piles being driven for that garage back when there was a plan for a building on top of it.

But this still doesn't fully answer the question I was asking HarryVB, I was wondering what lot the article was referring to, the rendering that you posted, shows the overall area, which would include things that I don't think the city owns yet, like the McDonald's, unless that is all gone...but it has been a long time for me to know for sure. If the city doesn't own those properties then it would seem like it wouldn't make much sense to do anything right now that doesn't involve acquiring those properties.

The tall building you see is not dicks sporting goods. Its actually the old circuit city lot. The building will have lightrail built in below as a station and workplace. The gateway Bank tower will only be 24 stories. alil taller than the armada hoffler. But the reason why it looks as tall as the westin because of the perspective its viewed in!

That is just an artistic rendering of a vision of Town Center 30 years from now, not a finalized product.

Seems that the City is trying to flush out details for the Bonney area, which makes sense considering that City View and the Circuit City are connected through that area (and of course the giant, empty lot)

Archived