Wawa coming to Orlando (and Tampa)

Jernigan

A friend from Delaware told me about this today and was pretty excited. He called it a cross between a Publix and a 7-11. So basically convenience stores with food you aren't afraid to eat.

Couldn't find any great articles that gave a specific location. Here is one article that mentions the expansion though.

http://www.cspnet.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=CDA90627F3EB4546BD1B7CA0D3F988D5&AudID=8D2273B133A14EB6903E0EECCBC32777

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Saw a Wawa (not yet opened) on John Young near SR50 today. Went to pull in and try it out and realized it didn't actually exist yet. Oops.

You mean JYP and Silverstar? Seems like an odd location, I still don't understand the hype.

You mean JYP and Silverstar? Seems like an odd location, I still don't understand the hype.

There are lots of blue-collar "industrial" (or what passes for such hereabouts) workers in that area - I suspect they will have a rather busy lunchtime crowd. Meanwhile, WaWa's HRC score isn't much better than Chick-Fil-A's so I'll be passing them by.

Is there anything to indicate WaWa is following Chick-Fil-A's lead in this regard?

Hopefully, WaWa is not as far gone as CFA in this regard. They, however, only rated a score of 30 on the HRC Shopping Guide, which suggests you should find other places to go if you value equality. I was a bit surprised since the mid-Atlantic states tend to be somewhat diverse and tolerant. Oh well, I've gone 53 years without WaWa - I cna probably make it the rest of the way :dontknow:

http://www.hrc.org/apps/buyersguide/ranking.php?category=1236#.UBMK3xw_9M4

• 4 months later...

There will be a WaWa developed at 1200 W Colonial (Colonial just west of OBT).

I believe this will replace the JYP/Silver Star as being the closest one to the downtown core.  Heading South you can find one not too far down on OBT.  Heading East, there will be one on Colonial and Bennett.

There will be a WaWa developed at 1200 W Colonial (Colonial just west of OBT).

I believe this will replace the JYP/Silver Star as being the closest one to the downtown core.  Heading South you can find one not too far down on OBT.  Heading East, there will be one on Colonial and Bennett.

That's an interesting spot - it's apparently the parking lot of the old Minute Maid building (later used by OCPS). A couple of things: The stretch between OBT and Tampa Avenue heretofore has just been old houses repurposed as offices, so this is an interesting change for that stretch. Also, it will be interesting to see how WaWa handles a location infamous for prostitution and other problems (from what I can gather based on their HRC and other ratings, they're a fairly conservative outfit). Does anyone from the mid-Atlantic states where they're based know of their approach to inner city locations?

• 1 month later...

^^ Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday when I was at the Winn Dixie across the street, where I unfortunately shop occasionally because of it's close proximity to my house. I am very excited & anxious to get one of those places so close to me. I wasn't expecting to see one closer than 8 or 10 miles to where I live. This is bike riding close.

^^ Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday when I was at the Winn Dixie across the street, where I unfortunately shop occasionally because of it's close proximity to my house. I am very excited & anxious to get one of those places so close to me. I wasn't expecting to see one closer than 8 or 10 miles to where I live. This is bike riding close.

Ha! We shop there as a last resort, too (when we're feeling too lazy to go all the way down Curry Ford to Publix). It is quite possibly the most depressing looking grocery stores I've ever been to.

Ha! We shop there as a last resort, too (when we're feeling too lazy to go all the way down Curry Ford to Publix). It is quite possibly the most depressing looking grocery stores I've ever been to.

Then you've apparently never been to the one at Colonial & Bumby.... :wacko:  :sick:  :D

Seriously though, the Curry Ford WD is not such a bad store, it's just shopping at WD period.

High prices, low selection & the service (at that one) is pretty bad sometimes. When the Walmart Neighborhood Market opens at Orange & Michigan, I probably won't go there or to Publix at all anymore.

But I'm anxious to try one of those Wawa sandwiches I've been hearing about. :P

Then you've apparently never been to the one at Colonial & Bumby.... :wacko:  :sick:  :D

Seriously though, the Curry Ford WD is not such a bad store, it's just shopping at WD period.

High prices, low selection & the service (at that one) is pretty bad sometimes. When the Walmart Neighborhood Market opens at Orange & Michigan, I probably won't go there or to Publix at all anymore.

But I'm anxious to try one of those Wawa sandwiches I've been hearing about. :P

I've made an effort to skip the one at Colonial and Bumby. It gives me a sad just driving by.

I keep reading that Winn Dixie is going to make a push to remodel its stores, although the last report I read gave me the impression that they don't get why they're struggling (one of their ideas is to have wine and cheese stewards on staff to provide recommendations to shoppers - I'm sure that'll be a hit on Curry Ford). Way off topic, I know. But I find retail trends interesting.

And if you live close to where the new Walmart Neighborhood Market is going up, I highly recommend Freshfield Farms (the old Mom's Meats and Pop's Produce). Good produce and meats at pretty inexpensive prices.

I've made an effort to skip the one at Colonial and Bumby. It gives me a sad just driving by.   I keep reading that Winn Dixie is going to make a push to remodel its stores, although the last report I read gave me the impression that they don't get why they're struggling (one of their ideas is to have wine and cheese stewards on staff to provide recommendations to shoppers - I'm sure that'll be a hit on Curry Ford). Way off topic, I know. But I find retail trends interesting.   And if you live close to where the new Walmart Neighborhood Market is going up, I highly recommend Freshfield Farms (the old Mom's Meats and Pop's Produce). Good produce and meats at pretty inexpensive prices.
The Curry Ford W/D WAS remodeled in just the past year or so. But that was mainly exterior. Same old store inside. I don't mind it as it's clean enough. But yeah, the wine & cheese crowd is not their demographic. They should have beer & nachos stewards instead. Not a lot of brie & chardonnay being consumed during NASCAR events. I just find that their regular prices aren't that great. I've been to M&P's before. Not a lot of what I buy there.

Actually they have started remodeling some of their stores inside and out; the ones with the freshly prepared food and the wine and cheese stewards are what they call transformational stores and there are only 3 in Central Florida:

951 State Road 434 W. Longwood, Fla 

7800 U.S. 17/92 S. Fern Park, Fla

and I think the 3rd one is in Apopka across from the new Panera

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120215005781/en/Winn-Dixie-Unveils-Fresh-Shopping-Experiences-Central-Florida

From the atricle:

• New store entrance with outdoor market
  • Expanded produce department featuring a wide selection of the season’s freshest fruits and vegetables
  • Expanded deli department with wood-burning rotisserie, carving station serving freshly roasted meats, and custom sandwich and sub shop
  • Hot food selections, including fresh, made-to-order pastas, barbecue, fried chicken, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, and wing bar serving seven flavors of chicken wings
  • Expanded selection of specialty desserts, pastries and made-to-order cakes in the bakery, along with loaves of warm, freshly baked bread
  • 11 different freshly made compound salads, including spinach antipasti, curried cous cous, and green apple rocky road

Most of them have a distinct (as compared to the older ones) stone and glass facade

They are actually really nice and a major improvement over the older stores.

Here is a photo album with about 26 pics from the Plantation, Fl remodel.... its pretty representative of what they look like when they are remodeled:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225529854243887&set=a.225529804243892.55318.100989143364626&type=3&theater

407715_225529854243887_669865760_n.jpg

536383_225530184243854_169413193_n.jpg

550251_225530710910468_322616184_n.jpg430595_225530737577132_1558398948_n.jpg

Archived