Wawa coming to Orlando (and Tampa)

Jernigan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

For all the excitement over WaWa coming to town, there appears to be pushback for the one proposed near College Park on the southwest corner of OBT and Colonial. There's a community meeting scheduled for 6:30pm, Feb. 5 at Edgewater High School. I know there was quite a bit of disappointment that the 7-11 at Edgewater and Colonial wasn't noticed soon enough, and they're rallying the troops to stop yet another convenience store from moving in.

20130205_WaWaMeetingNotice.pdf

And the St. Pete Times, too! (I've decided to refuse to go by the new name - all the fish in the Bay can read the TBT). Interesting that downtown is about to drown in a sea of 7-Elevens, and no one cares enough about them to write such encomiums. *sigh*

For us, Wawa is part of our lives

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/for-us-wawa-is-part-of-our-lives/1274301

Here's a rendering of the proposed WaWa on the southwest corner of Colonial and OBT. Because of the unwelcome type of pedestrian  traffic (read: homeless and prostitutes) in that area, some College Park residents are trying to get WaWa and the city to make it more than a run-of-the-mill gas station. I think this is too highly of a visible entryway into the city and College Park for such use. I've always thought this area would be good for the kind of mid-rise housing going up in Uptown.

Frankly, that whole stretch of Colonial and OBT is in such bad shape that it seems unfortunate to put all the onus on a decent looking WaWa, but I defer to the neighbors. Given how much of the property along there is owned by Dr. Phillips, I've always been surprised someone within the organization couldn't be convinced to master plan something for the area. On the other hand, that outfit is the definition of uber-conservative (it's kind of amazing how all the buildings were built like old Western Electric phones - even the gas stations were built to last for centuries.)

My only real concern is that the folks at the Morse Gallery add the McNamara Pontiac sign to their neon collection before it's too far gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are pretty big danged places though!!!

I was thinking something along the lines of a 7 Eleven, but that thing is huge by convenience store standards.

What all do they sell in those places???

Anybody ever been in one?

Its like 7-11 but with a deli like counter in the center, where you can order fresh made hoagies, fruit smoothies, frozen coffee beverages  sides and soups, depending on the day; there are touch screen computers where you place your order, then wait for your food to be made. To one side there are several varieties of coffee and prepared sandwiches and salads; on the other side of the store is the snacks and other convenience store items, a walk in beer cooler and the registers.

Daily menu: http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/Menu.aspx?m=1&s=5113

Here is a rendering, however it  has the left side of the store cut off; the side illustrated is the coffee area. The deli counter is the focal point of the stores.

WawaFloridaExpansion-image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found this earlier today...

Looks like yet another Wawa is in the works for S. Orange & Pineloch next to the BK.

Six more locations are planned for this year. One of the recent locations to be approved, is on S. Orange Ave at Pineloch Ave just across from the newly remodeled Downtown South Burger King. The site of the new Wawa is the former home of Clarkies, a small breakfast and lunch cafe that had been open since 1959. The owner is looking for another location to open nearby. The Wawa approval is so recent that no real progress has been made on the property yet, other than a sign informing residents of the possible land use change. The site plan also calls for a 5,000sq ft retail or restaurant to be located on the southern edge of the property.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2013/03/a-look-at-wawas-next-location.html

Here's the aerial map:

ssm+wawa+aerial+map.JPG

ssm+wawa+site+plan.JPG

And what's there now...

ssm+wawa+orange+ave+view.JPG

ssm+wawa+orange+ave+view+2.JPG

ssm+wawa+back+view.JPG

Wawa wahoo!!!

I

Found this earlier today...

Looks like yet another Wawa is in the works for S. Orange & Pineloch next to the BK.

Six more locations are planned for this year. One of the recent locations to be approved, is on S. Orange Ave at Pineloch Ave just across from the newly remodeled Downtown South Burger King. The site of the new Wawa is the former home of Clarkies, a small breakfast and lunch cafe that had been open since 1959. The owner is looking for another location to open nearby. The Wawa approval is so recent that no real progress has been made on the property yet, other than a sign informing residents of the possible land use change. The site plan also calls for a 5,000sq ft retail or restaurant to be located on the southern edge of the property.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2013/03/a-look-at-wawas-next-location.html

Here's the aerial map:

ssm+wawa+aerial+map.JPG

ssm+wawa+site+plan.JPG

And what's there now...

ssm+wawa+orange+ave+view.JPG

ssm+wawa+orange+ave+view+2.JPG

ssm+wawa+back+view.JPG

Wawa wahoo!!!

I've never been to a WaWa, so I can't get too excited about them (at least not yet...the one on Curry Ford/Crystal Lake is right down from my house, so I'll be checking it out). BUT - I think the locations they are choosing are awesome. I appreciate the fact that the company is choosing urban locations and redeveloping land (as opposed to only building in the 'burbs).

Archived