Wawa coming to Orlando (and Tampa)

Jernigan

^^ Hey... the more the merrier I say.

Downtown needs more places for foot travellers to be able to pop in & grab a quick & CHEAP hotdog, chips & drink.

Not everyone wants to sit down & spend 10 bucks on a hamburger fries & drink or some fancy burrito, etc., then have to tip a server.

Bring on the 7 Elevens, I say.

More in the core, too!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steel going up at Wawa Curry Ford...

003.jpg

Are these places two stories?

Or do they just have really high ceilings?

Maybe the 2nd floor is where the tool & hardware dept will be!! :rolleyes:  :D

I could be wrong ( it happens quite often! ), but that does look a little taller than a normal Wawa. Could be their administrative offices for the region?

I could be wrong ( it happens quite often! ), but that does look a little taller than a normal Wawa. Could be their administrative offices for the region?

Well, here's the rendering of that one but I don't see any windows up there.

1339150832586.jpg

Maybe it's storage... or just high ceilings?

• 1 month later...

There's a sign up in my neighborhood about a community meeting next Tuesday regarding the addition of a stop light to our entrance that is being paid for by Wawa who is adding a location (I'm guessing) across the street.

I live right in the middle of Dean and 417 on Curry Ford. Directly across from the mc donalds, I'm guessing the Wawa is going in to the right of the McDonalds if you're looking at McDonalds from my neighborhood. That's the only open lot in the area that would involve our neighborhood and a street light.

[edit] I should also mention that I cannot freakin wait! I work from home and will be walking there every day for lunch, haha

I'm super happy for the light, it can be such a pain and super dangerous to get in and out of that intersection with everyone trying to get to the mcdonalds and the apartment complex across the way.

I'm glad to have the goldenrod one to hold me over until this ones ready, haha :D

Wow that's pretty close to the one that's 80% done on Goldenrod and Curry Ford. A lot of people will have a few weeks of free coffee if they drive down Curry Ford.

Sorry for the extra red light though...

Look how many 7-11's are on opposite sides of the road, either across the street or side by side lol

There's a sign up in my neighborhood about a community meeting next Tuesday regarding the addition of a stop light to our entrance that is being paid for by Wawa who is adding a location (I'm guessing) across the street.

I live right in the middle of Dean and 417 on Curry Ford. Directly across from the mc donalds, I'm guessing the Wawa is going in to the right of the McDonalds if you're looking at McDonalds from my neighborhood. That's the only open lot in the area that would involve our neighborhood and a street light.

[edit] I should also mention that I cannot freakin wait! I work from home and will be walking there every day for lunch, haha

There were some studies done on the land just to the West of there.  The lots for sale right next to the highway with the residence on it and all those vehicles (I drive past it on my way to work).  That would be my bet, even with the proposed light at the McDonalds.

I suppose you will see at your meeting, but I read something on that (source isn't coming back to me, but I'll keep looking) lot having some soil testing/boring done on it that was paid for by WaWa.  I wish I could remember where I saw that.  Probably OC meeting minutes or something mundane like that.

There were some studies done on the land just to the West of there.  The lots for sale right next to the highway with the residence on it and all those vehicles (I drive past it on my way to work).  That would be my bet, even with the proposed light at the McDonalds.

I suppose you will see at your meeting, but I read something on that (source isn't coming back to me, but I'll keep looking) lot having some soil testing/boring done on it that was paid for by WaWa.  I wish I could remember where I saw that.  Probably OC meeting minutes or something mundane like that.

Interesting, I didn't even think of that lot. I'll definitely try to make it out to the meeting this evening to find out :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Expensive gas stations near airport getting competition from Wawa

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-airport-gas-wawa-20130828,0,5753401.story

In my book, this may be the best thing yet about WaWa coming to town (in spite of their dismal HRC Shopper's Guide rating). Kudos for this.

I personally don't get the fanaticism for Wawa (and the HRC score is another nail in their coffin for me) but agree this is great news. The shadiness of those two existing gas stations is awful.

I can't believe the Curry Ford store isn't open yet.

How long does it take to build a convenience store???

That must be the longest convenience store construction project in history.

They broke ground right around the same time as construction began on the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Orange & Michigan, which is three or four times the size & opened over two moths ago.

I think they've had some underground issues. One of the employees at the Winn Dixie across the street said they've had to dig something up several times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Interesting, I didn't even think of that lot. I'll definitely try to make it out to the meeting this evening to find out :D

I have seen no progress on this and haven't heard anything else in this site.

For a brief second I got excited when I saw ground breaking acrid from the McDonald's but instantly realized that site is way way way too small for a Wawa.

There are no signs up yet and the tax appraiser site just lists a generic build out company as the new owner. It's starting to look like one of those horrible dollar stores as its going up. That's a kiss of death few want to see in a neighborhood.

I have seen no progress on this and haven't heard anything else in this site.

For a brief second I got excited when I saw ground breaking acrid from the McDonald's but instantly realized that site is way way way too small for a Wawa.

There are no signs up yet and the tax appraiser site just lists a generic build out company as the new owner. It's starting to look like one of those horrible dollar stores as its going up. That's a kiss of death few want to see in a neighborhood.

Yeah, you're right. It will be a Dollar Store similar to the one near Dean and Lake Underhill.

Last I heard after that meeting (I didn't attend) is that the neighborhood and Wawa both wanted to put a light at the neighborhood entrance. Whoever from the city/county was there said it was too close to the other traffic lights. Instead they wanted to change that intersection to somehow prevent us from making a left turn out of the neighborhood at all. Wawa offered to pay for a study to support adding light and that's the last I heard.

Wawa was supposedly interested at the lot on the other side of the McDonalds that is still available.

Broke my heart when I started seeing a gas station being built and drive by one morning to see the red stripes :(

Archived