Hartford I-84 Viaduct Study

MadVlad

The more I think about this project the more concerned I am. Relocating the rail line to the opposite side of the highway makes it easier to build a new highway, but I'm worried about the effect that it will have on the city. 

Union Station has been in its current spot for well over 100 years. We know how union station interacts with the city and we have over a century of evidence to look back on. However, we have no idea what positive or negative effects will come about if we abandon union station (which will almost certainly cause it to fall into a state of disrepair), relocate a new transportation center to the opposite side of a highway from major  downtown attractions, and build a new tax exempt structure on prime downtown real estate. We've tried rearranging Hartford to accommodate a new highway before and it didn't work out. I'm just worried about getting "more of the same." I'm no engineer but I'd imagine that there are other alternatives that preserve the use of Union Station and allow us to fix I-84. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, malikr65 said:

The more I think about this project the more concerned I am. Relocating the rail line to the opposite side of the highway makes it easier to build a new highway, but I'm worried about the effect that it will have on the city. 

Union Station has been in its current spot for well over 100 years. We know how union station interacts with the city and we have over a century of evidence to look back on. However, we have no idea what positive or negative effects will come about if we abandon union station (which will almost certainly cause it to fall into a state of disrepair), relocate a new transportation center to the opposite side of a highway from major  downtown attractions, and build a new tax exempt structure on prime downtown real estate. We've tried rearranging Hartford to accommodate a new highway before and it didn't work out. I'm just worried about getting "more of the same." I'm no engineer but I'd imagine that there are other alternatives that preserve the use of Union Station and allow us to fix I-84. 

There are reasons to move the rail line that have nothing to do with the new highway. It could be said that the highway project has opened the door to fix the  rail line. The new alignment would be level, straighter and underground.

It should be noted that the transportation center would not move; it would expand across the highway. This would most likely assure that this portion of the highway is capped right up front.

• 1 month later...

Archived