The Titans Stadium

MTSUBlueraider86

The new stadium for the Dallas Cowboys was 1.5 billion dollars. The new stadium for the New York Jets was 1.8 billion dollars. The Titans stadium 11 years ago was 330 million dollars. If and when upgrades are due, who will be footing the bill? Will the Titans get what they want? Will they need to bring a Superbowl Trophy to Nashville to get a newer or upgraded stadium?

This is a topic not yet discussed but I am sure the next mayor and governor will have to deal with this. So, what is going to happen? The Titans are 11 years into a 30 year lease with the city. We have the Titans under contract for 19 more years. How will this impact our future development along the river and downtown as a whole?

Discuss.

BR86

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that is not the case, but I always feared pro sports leaving this town for greener pastures. Although I love the Titans and Predators for being here, the prospect of them leaving at a moments notice is a scary thought. At least Vanderbilt, although poor in football, is not going to pack up and leave and the Volunteers are not leaving Knoxville either. I just don't think cities should rely on college sports for sustainability in their economic structure after all, their main purpose is education, not sports entertainment.

BR86

It's a legit question. When the time comes, pro sports could be such that luxury suites, personal seat licenses, naming rights, etc., are such that the bulk of a new stadium will be paid for via such "user fees." Another interesting subject on this theme is "where" the next Titans stadium will be constructed. I've got a piece to soon run in The City Paper and that will address this issue. I predict the next stadium will be sited on the surface parking between the existing stadium and the inner-interstate loop. Once finished, the existing stadium is razed and used for "green parking."

WW

I would love for a new Titans stadium to be a modern day replica of the Roman Coliseum. I agree it could be built on the parking lot behind the stadium, and the area where the stadium currently sits would be used for green parking.

I don't know why other stadiums do not do this, but why couldn't this "coliseum" be a city center during the week, and a sports venue during weekends? A lot could be incorporated into the coliseum for everyday, resident / tourist attractions such as restaurants, live music, art venues, etc.. generating money for the city to help pay down the debt of building a new stadium.

Not only would that be a win win for Nashville, a modern day replica of the Roman Coliseum would get Global recognition, and be a beautiful piece of downtown Nashville.

Whatever the case, keep it downtown!

Go Titans! Beat the cowboys tomorrow!! Way to go Preds, 4 to 1 over the ducks in the opener tonight infront of a sold out crowd!

It seems like the next generation of stadii will provide the spectator with more comfort and the capability to receive more information. The NFL game experience is competing with it's own media arm as the media provides instant info on other games, live stats and more comfort (in your own home). This is the information age and people want lots of it and they want it now.

I can see the next generation of stadii providing more comfort (larger seats, etc) and access to immediate, customized information; probably in the form of video displays at each seat. It will be more like a stadium, or arena, with nothing but luxury suites. There will, however, still be some who go to the game just for the experience (like me) and are willing to endure the steep climbs and narrow seats just to be with friends and cheer the team on. I would still like to know more of the back story (stats, etc) than radio, scoreboard, etc) provide.

But, there will be some drastic changes required which will no doubt make our (and everyone elses; including Dallas') obsolete.

nashvylle said:

"I would love for a new Titans stadium to be a modern day replica of the Roman Coliseum. I agree it could be built on the parking lot behind the stadium, and the area where the stadium currently sits would be used for green parking.

I don't know why other stadiums do not do this, but why couldn't this "coliseum" be a city center during the week, and a sports venue during weekends? A lot could be incorporated into the coliseum for everyday, resident / tourist attractions such as restaurants, live music, art venues, etc.. generating money for the city to help pay down the debt of building a new stadium.

Not only would that be a win win for Nashville, a modern day replica of the Roman Coliseum would get Global recognition, and be a beautiful piece of downtown Nashville.

Whatever the case, keep it downtown!

Go Titans! Beat the cowboys tomorrow!! Way to go Preds, 4 to 1 over the ducks in the opener tonight infront of a sold out crowd!"

If the stadium were an indoor stadium, we probably could use it for many things such as conventions, trade shows, etc...but I think owners like Bud Adams do not think of anything but themselves and mixed use is never part of the equation.

BR86

Both Stadiums mentioned in the first post are privately funded by the teams who play in them. The Jets/Giants shared the costs 50-50 and it is managed by the Meadowlands Spots Authority and the new Cowboys stadium is owned by Jerry Jones and run by his company. Those markets are entirely different than ours and can support those costs from revenue streams they generate. Unless more uses can be found for a new Titans stadium, I would not expect it to be early as luxurious and of the size of those two. In any event you have another 19 years to contemplate the next move if it is going to be public.

Thanks Producer2! You have knowledge we need for the forum on such things! Now come to a forum meet once! I wonder how many sports stadiums are going to be private in the future. I heard the tail end of a conversation on the radio about Nashville having MLB again. I think our city is saturated enough with professional sports.

Lets get the MCC and the MCC Omni Hotel done and the Medical Mart done along with another residential tower or two first before we build anymore sports stadiums.

BR86

Thanks Producer2! You have knowledge we need for the forum on such things! Now come to a forum meet once! I wonder how many sports stadiums are going to be private in the future. I heard the tail end of a conversation on the radio about Nashville having MLB again. I think our city is saturated enough with professional sports.

Lets get the MCC and the MCC Omni Hotel done and the Medical Mart done along with another residential tower or two first before we build anymore sports stadiums.

BR86

I've said it before, Nashville could support a team like the Tampa Bay Rays. They would bring the Yankees and Red Sox to town twice a year each and sell out every seat. It would be the only American League team in the middle of the country, drawing fans for other teams from several hundred miles.

Archived