Fayetteville, Bella Vista named "Best Places to Retire"

thewizard16

Two NWA cities were recognized by US News and World Report in their Best Places to Retire (2011) lists.

Bella Vista, AR- #5 on ""Places With the Most Retirees"

In these cities, nearly a quarter or more of the population is made up of retirees, making for communities full of activities and services to accommodate a retired crowd.

Link: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/slideshows/places-with-the-most-retirees/5

Fayetteville, AR- #9 on "10 Best Affordable Mountain Towns for Retirement"

These towns are great for retirees who would love to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city and become more acquainted with the outdoors. Each offers scenic views and groomed slopes at a low price.

Link: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/slideshows/10-affordable-mountain-towns-for-retirees/9

Little Rock also made the list as #4 on "10 Best Places to Downsize in Retirement" and I posted it over in the Little Rock forum.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two NWA cities were recognized by US News and World Report in their Best Places to Retire (2011) lists.

Bella Vista, AR- #5 on ""Places With the Most Retirees"

In these cities, nearly a quarter or more of the population is made up of retirees, making for communities full of activities and services to accommodate a retired crowd.

Link: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/slideshows/places-with-the-most-retirees/5

Fayetteville, AR- #9 on "10 Best Affordable Mountain Towns for Retirement"

These towns are great for retirees who would love to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city and become more acquainted with the outdoors. Each offers scenic views and groomed slopes at a low price.

Link: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/slideshows/10-affordable-mountain-towns-for-retirees/9

Little Rock also made the list as #4 on "10 Best Places to Downsize in Retirement" and I posted it over in the Little Rock forum.

It's always nice for local cities to be recognized. But I did find it somewhat humorous on how they can keep dividing and subdividing these categories. Didn't realize there was a category for best affordable mountain towns for retirement. :lol: But as I said earlier, still nice to be recognized though. :D

Yeah, what does groomed slopes mean? Skiing is the only way I've heard it used.

Funny thing is- Bella Vista used to be almost all retirees. It is only in the last decade or so that younger people started moving in.

I like the mountain town description but someone coming here from most western states or Appalachia would laugh at it.

• 2 months later...

Maybe we just need to have one overall topic for all the lists our metro/local cities shows up on. Our metro is listed 19th for the most 'secure' area. I hadn't heard of this list before but apparently we've made the list before. It's just not about crime rates but a lot of other factors, like natural disasters, life expectancies and so on.

http://www.4029tv.com/r/26160217/detail.html

Maybe we just need to have one overall topic for all the lists our metro/local cities shows up on. Our metro is listed 19th for the most 'secure' area. I hadn't heard of this list before but apparently we've made the list before. It's just not about crime rates but a lot of other factors, like natural disasters, life expectancies and so on.

http://www.4029tv.com/r/26160217/detail.html

Seeing that this ranking was by an insurance company I think it holds more weight than a lot the lists that we see. We do have it very good here. We may have all four seasons but none have the really extreme weather that other areas of the country and world see at times. Our biggest fear is a tornado and those only hit small areas even if they do make great news stories.

Seeing that this ranking was by an insurance company I think it holds more weight than a lot the lists that we see. We do have it very good here. We may have all four seasons but none have the really extreme weather that other areas of the country and world see at times. Our biggest fear is a tornado and those only hit small areas even if they do make great news stories.

I find it interesting that there are really no cities from the east coast or southeast US (I'm putting us in the more south central). There are quite a few from the Northwest and from Washington State for that matter...I had to check Farmer's Insurance Group and make sure that they were not from Washington state.

I find it interesting that there are really no cities from the east coast or southeast US (I'm putting us in the more south central). There are quite a few from the Northwest and from Washington State for that matter...I had to check Farmer's Insurance Group and make sure that they were not from Washington state.

I'd agree with the South central designation. As far as why fewer locations on the east coast. While I can't explain everything I wonder if in some cases the weather plays a role in that. The west coast has a cold current while the east coast has the Gulf Stream. I think weather wise the east coast stays a lot more active because of that. Which of course increases weather hazards and so on. Could also be the fact that population densities are higher further east. There's a lot more room out west even with more and more people moving there. Just some ideas.

Archived