Project You Are Looking Forward To?

MTSUBlueraider86

One huge, 800 pound gorila in the room, obstacle to development of SoBro is the deadly, horrible I-40 with 2nd Ave and 4th Ave interchange which is squeezed in tightly between the I-40 with I-65 and the I-40 with I-24 interchanges.

I know many years ago, TDOT even wanted to shut down all the 2nd and 4th Avenue ramps because the interchange area was one of the deadliest in the USA. There are too many decision points requiring much weaving, quick merging, restricted movements, etc. Some cosmetic improvements have been made over the years, including the re-routing of I-65 to avoid the area. But it is still very dangerous. And mobility through the area is limited by the inadequate street system which is cluttered with one-way streets and angular thoroughfares (Murfreesboro Road) which break up the grid system and create 5 and 6 legged intersections with limited vehicular storage. This area cannot support any additional traffic generators, especially ball parks or monster hotel development.

One solution would be to run KVB, westward to the Demonbruen Street interchage with I-40. And me, personally, I would make a drastic (expensive)overhaul to the interchange with grade separated, directional ramps. It would require extensive modification to the local street system, also. The City would have to funnel money from greenways and bicycle lanes, but funds are limited and priorities must be determined.

If this subject is worthy of it's own thread, feel free to cut and paste this reply as needed.

Excellent points. Last night, and after traveling south on the inner loop, I veered to the left (at the 40-60 split) and then immediately crossed two lanes to exit the inner loop (at Fourth/Second avenues exit) at about 10:15. Normally, I would have exited at Demonbreun but I wanted to avoid Preds traffic. It's dangerous.

WW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the plan to someday eliminate the Interstates near downtown altogether? If so, it seems like spending money on Interstate changes would not be a good investment.

There certainly doesn't need to be any more traffic on the west side of downtown, at the Demonbreun/Broadway/Church exits. This area is already hard for pedestrians to maneuver.

I do agree the 2nd/4th exit is dangerous. I'm not sure what the answer is here.. there has to be Interstate access to downtown somewhere nearby.. but it also needs to be pedestrian friendly.

Isn't the plan to someday eliminate the Interstates near downtown altogether? If so, it seems like spending money on Interstate changes would not be a good investment.

There certainly doesn't need to be any more traffic on the west side of downtown, at the Demonbreun/Broadway/Church exits. This area is already hard for pedestrians to maneuver.

I do agree the 2nd/4th exit is dangerous. I'm not sure what the answer is here.. there has to be Interstate access to downtown somewhere nearby.. but it also needs to be pedestrian friendly.

Citizens who participated in The Plan of Nashville expressed interest in having the inner-interstate loop removed. Whether that happens...?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived