Revisiting Building Lighting

MTSUBlueraider86

I miss the blue argon lights surrounding the mansard roof on the US Bank Building. I still love the L&C Tower lighting.

I wish they would add a nice decorative crown on the Suntrust Building @ 4th and Church.

I have always wanted a building in Nashville like Tower Place 100 in Buckhead, ATL that has green lighting going all the way up the side of the building.

Framing other buildings with color would greatly enhance the skyline. Sometimes lighting can make up for lack of height, and adding a crown to the Suntrust Building @ 4th and Church would be cool. They did that with a couple of buildings in Mobile, AL., and it looked really cool. It also tied some of the downtown architecture together. I have always loved the gold/brown Suntrust Bank Building.

BR86

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I kind of like the different colors for various distinctive elements within a post. But the four colors used in BR86 (one for each character) suggest a man who has ingested excessive caffeine (and John doesn't drink caffeine) sad.gif

As to the topic: building lighting. Tasteful lighting is a key element of the built fabric. Though I suppose one could argue it's a bit wasteful (using excess energy), there is no doubt interesting building lighting gives a city (both up close and from afar) a nice vibe.

WW

Nashvillian said:

"I think I had a seizure after reading too many of your recent posts. What's with all the colors?"

Just enjoying the color. I like it! Seriously, ESU is right I don't drink caffeine but I am creative. Don't you think?

I have always love exterior lighting on tall buildings, especially if it is creative. I don't especially like too much advertising as it can take away from the aesthetic. I remember driving down Broadway with my parents back in the late 1960's and loving all of the bright color of the automobile dealerships at night. In 1968 or 1969 I remember my father showing me the letters on the L&C Tower. At that time the colors described the weather forecast and I always thought that was cool, especially at a time when the only skyscraper was the L&C Tower. It was not until 1970 when the Snodgrass/Tennessee Tower opened and we had messages in the windows. Of course then it was the National Life and Accident Insurance Company Building which latter became American General which then became AIG.

The world needs more color.

BR86

Archived