SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Can someone tell me who's job/responsibility it is to recruit new tenants to the mall? I'm curious to know.  

Long term permanent leasing at SouthPark is done by Sara Hogan, according to Simon's website.

http://business.simon.com/leasing/southpark

Her contact info is halfway down the page. 

Also, I believe that they still consult with Tisha Maley, who I think used to be in charge of the leasing of Lenox, Phipps, and SouthPark. Now, she has her own firm but I believe is still a consultant for these malls. 

Her website:

http://themaleyco.com

Edited by 101_ce

This is why I am a little worried about SouthPark. It is a better place than it was a few years back, but I still think they could be getting stores a little better than this. 

Honestly?  That's one of the most shallowest and superficial worries I ever heard.  What is it with Malls that some people speculate about their potential demise like they are something more than they are not.  It is a mall.  Just a mall.   Why worry so much because someone is selling something that doesn't cost $5,000 next door to some who is?   YA Ya Ya about "upscale" but it is a MALL!

I'm worried about lack of grocery stores on the west side.  I'm worried about UCity putting an auto mall near a planned light rail stop.  I'm worried about the East and West sides of Charlotte (outside of uptown accepted Elizabeth and Wesley Heights) ever getting attention.  A cheap store in an upscale mall - not so much...

South Park is not 5th Avenue, Bond Street, or Rodeo Drive.  It is a mall.  It is an upscale mall, but it is a mall.  As you yourself mention (and I included in my quoting of you) it has only gotten better in their offerings.  

Malls by nature have some hit or miss stores and they have by nature some crap.  That is why they are malls.   Save your worry.  Charlotte and South Park are fine.  Have you seen any of the South Park apartments and other shopping offerings?   Have you seen the South Park offices and planned offices?   It's a worry made for the sake of worrying and not reality.

South Park (including the mall) is not a place one should worry.  The last time I saw someone so "worried" about South Park offerings they were from Atlanta and wanted to play a city vs. city game.

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 3

I'm done with this. This thread wasn't fun like it used to be. People were happy to be getting unique stores that couldn't be found for hundreds of miles. Now, if anyone even mentions something about luxury stores, you get called a snob and superficial. I am so done with this. 700th post and this is my last. 

Edited by 101_ce
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody have a guestimate for total (annual, monthly, whatever) sales at Southpark? The Wikipedia page (ugh) has some pretty lofty numbers, but they lack citation. 

Any back of the envelop proforma would be appreciated, I have so little experience with malls I don't really know what is reasonable and what is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SouthPark_Mall_%28Charlotte,_North_Carolina%29

SouthPark is the largest mall in Charlotte and the Carolinas, as well as one of the most profitable malls in the country with sales at over $700 per square foot.

(<-- I call shenanigans and there is no source provided)

Edited by kermit

The most respected retail REIT research company stated sales per sq ft at $950-$1000/sf (there is a specific #, but will respect the high value they place on their proprietary research) .  That was released in 1Q 2014.

2nd and 3rd highest in NC are Crabtree and Streets at South Point (both $600-$625 range)

Now Open/Opening Soon:

H&M(Opening Thursday)

Lush Cosmetics

Boston Proper

Microsoft

Vince Camuto

Hartmann Luggage

American Girl 

The mall seems to be 99% occupied.  It's been a very long time since this occurred.  H&M has taken up a significant amount of space and is anticipating a huge grand opening right in time for the holidays.  I'm curious to see which stores (if any) won't make it after the Christmas season.  

Edited by Temeteron

^wow! Thanks atlrvr.

FWIW my back of the envelope calculations look like:

$1.5 billion Annual Southpark sales:

$4.3 million Daily average sales:

13% of Mecklenburg retail sales

So, when mall operators report sales, they really report in-line stores sales, which is typically defined as retailers on long term leases that occupy LESS than 10,000 sf and have been open for at least 12 months.

This is a way to compare malls since it nets out the effects of anchors/jr anchors since some malls have 3, 4, 5, etc. which can skew the numbers.

Anchros typically have far less sales per sq ft.  A decent rule of thumb would be 30%-35%  the sales of the in-line space.  I'd estimate Macy's around $350/sf, Dillards around $400, and Belk maybe $450/sf (I'm speculateing the Belk does much better than the avg anchor store just based on volumes I see there).  Nordstrom maybe $400 and NM maybe $350...sort of guessing on the last 2.

So that $950-$1000/sf number I quoted you should only multiply to the smaller shop space, and maybe $375/sf for the anchors (including Dicks) if you want a decent approximation of the overall sales volume of the mall.

A friend in "The Biz" Told me Von Maur wants in at SouthPark and Dick's lease is up this year. So he and I came up with a very crude plan for a new SouthPark expansion. It would add about 300-400k to the mall itself. What does everyone think?

post-17104-0-47008800-1415806893_thumb.j

Haha...i first read that as Van Heusen and I was confused.

I'd suspect that Dick's probably has renewal options that they will excercise, as that store is pretty consitently busy.

Also, I'd think that they would need a rezoning to add that much sq ft, which while possible, would probably be contentious.

• 1 month later...

So, the North Face is opening a store in South Park Mall, though I'm a bit confused by the space. It is scheduled to take about 5,500 ft in a space called G-10A....best I can tell, this means Guess is downsizing or closing.

It's actually going across from guess where Yoforia was. Im assuming the seasonal space that was next to yoforia will be combined.

• 4 weeks later...

Was shocked to see the following stores closed today:  Guess, American Eagle, Aldo Accessories and Puma.  

Puma & Guess-  Although I have shopped from here (not recently), I noticed towards the end that their customer service went down the toilet; these stores always seemed empty.  

American Eagle-  Not really sure why they would close; never reallly shopped from here.  My guess is that Simon raised their rents.

Aldo Accessories- From what I understand, they are consolidating the Aldo Accessories and the Aldo Shoes stores under one entity.  

***Also,  Louis Vuitton has started their renovation/expansion.  Their temporary store has been placed in the Macy*s wing, near H&M.  

Edited by Temeteron

• 1 month later...

Southpark is going to be getting a LEGO stores.

I'm 95% certain it will be located between Lily Pulitzer and Boston Proper.  I know there is/was a Gymboree there.  I'm not sure if it is closing, and LEGO is replacing it, or maybe there is an empty storefront there already?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/31/four-new-tenants-on-tap-for-southpark-mall.html

Stores u0pdate for South Park mall. None of which are too exciting

- The Track & Field Store (sports performance, and beach apparel)

- Kendra Scott (specialty jewelry)

- The Shade Store (custom window treatments) @ The Village At South Park

- North Face (opening May 1)

- 8 The Salon moving to The Village as well

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 months later...